A possible start

GEK79

Hello all I have the chance to fish on the 1st of January the River Drowes and the River Erne.. Now I've never fished for salmon or sea trout and just looking for advice on rod and reel recommendations.. I don't need sage or Hardy as the kit will be put away Feb 15 as trout season will begin.. Tho I will use it over the year. I know there is alot of opinion and I'm greatful for your help.
Thank you as always.
Gary

taffy1

Not being familiar with those rivers Gary, is it single handed rods you are looking for or double-handed rods. January, being a winter month, there could be a lot of high water running through. Takes yer chances & all that during the "wet" season.

GEK79

Not being familiar with those rivers Gary, is it single handed rods you are looking for or double-handed rods. January, being a winter month, there could be a lot of high water running through. Takes yer chances & all that during the "wet" season.
See this is where I'm at a loss when would you use a single hand or a double handed rod..and as its my first try I don't want to spend a huge amount.

codyarrow

Not familiar with those rivers but googled them and they both seems pretty wide? If so maybe double hander may be in order. An oracle scandi or second hand XT will not break the bank.

taffy1

Normally a single hand rod is used on most types of rivers when safe wading after spring & the salmon are most likely to accept smaller offerings. Winter on larger rivers, as mentioned, with a decent amount of water, a double-hander with a variety of different line densities, copes better as you'll usually be fishing large tubes & the such-like.

codyarrow

Everyone will have their own opinion on this but my specific one would be 13 ft oracle scandi, leeda magnum 200d (if you can still get one cheap - they seem to be increasing in value), and because I like fully integrated lines a sinker, int and floater (so 3 spools with reel). The john norris ones are not the best, but they are reasonably priced.
I think you are correct to keep the cost down, just as many anglers turn away from salmon fishing as those who are bewitched by it. You will not know until you try.

GEK79

Everyone will have their own opinion on this but my specific one would be 13 ft oracle scandi, leeda magnum 200d (if you can still get one cheap - they seem to be increasing in value), and because I like fully integrated lines a sinker, int and floater (so 3 spools with reel). The john norris ones are not the best, but they are reasonably priced.
I think you are correct to keep the cost down, just as many anglers turn away from salmon fishing as those who are bewitched by it. You will not know until you try.
Thanks fella ill have a look in the morning.. Is any of the maxcatch stuff worth a look..

taffy1

Who said that anything involving fly fishing is easy? Since they stopped using horsehair & greenheart rods, manufacturers have bamboozled us with science. The fish don't know this though.

bobmiddlepoint

Like everyone else so far I don't know those rivers either but the Dowes looks no a million miles away in terms of size to my local.

So would echo what Codyarrow says, a 13 footer will probably see you right. I prefer one line and poly tips but there is no right or wrong answer. Here even in spring there is no need to get really deep but that might be different on the Drowes so a full sinker might be needed, talk to the local salmon anglers. I like Barrio Switch lines, an 8/9 would be where I would start for winter/spring fishing on a medium sized river.

The Airflo Delta 9/10 reel is worth a look.

Andy

GEK79

Like everyone else so far I don't know those rivers either but the Dowes looks no a million miles away in terms of size to my local.

So would echo what Codyarrow says, a 13 footer will probably see you right. I prefer one line and poly tips but there is no right or wrong answer. Here even in spring there is no need to get really deep but that might be different on the Drowes so a full sinker might be needed, talk to the local salmon anglers. I like Barrio Switch lines, an 8/9 would be where I would start for winter/spring fishing on a medium sized river.

The Airflo Delta 9/10 reel is worth a look.

Andy
Thank you. I'm sure the guy that is tiling the house is a salmon fisherman on both rivers so will check in with him.. Thanks for all you help.

Lewis Chessman

Hi, Gary. Like the others, I don't know your waters but I do have a lot of respect for Shakespeare's Oracle Switch and Scandi range of rods. The cork, seat and finish are perfectly serviceable and the blank very good indeed. Imo, you have to jump from around E100 for an Oracle to over E350 for anything better other than in the cosmetics. Just be aware that the Oracle range has been around for several years under different guises and it is the contemporary range we're talking about with the 'Switch/Scandi/Spey' name on the rod, not older models.
I'm with BMP on the Barrio Switch line. At £39 I don't think they can be bettered. #7/8 or 8/9 depending on your rod's weighting. Whatever rod you choose I suggest buying a line in the upper weight bracket. This will load the rod more fully and help you better feel it loading, so improving your timing more swiftly than a lighter line will,

I think that the best thing you can do is to talk to as many local fishermen as you can and ask them what they prefer - but make sure you are specific about the fact you are Spring fishing.
Ask about rod length and line rating first.
You need to find out whether a floating line with or without sink tip polyleaders will do or whether you will need a full sinking set up.
As for the reel, the Vision Deep is decent for the price and has a very good drag. They do scratch quite easily but are robust and trustworthy.

I reckon you could buy an Oracle, a Deep, a Barrio Switch, backing and a few polyleaders for under or around E250. You may need to order a Barrio Switch in advance as Mike B. often runs out of them quickly, they're that popular. Easily done via his website.
If you are not familiar with Speycasting I recommend watching some tutorials on line so that you have an idea of the action and the terminology involved before reaching the river.
Happy shopping!

GEK79

Hi, Gary. Like the others, I don't know your waters but I do have a lot of respect for Shakespeare's Oracle Switch and Scandi range of rods. The cork, seat and finish are perfectly serviceable and the blank very good indeed. Imo, you have to jump from around E100 for an Oracle to over E350 for anything better other than in the cosmetics. Just be aware that the Oracle range has been around for several years under different guises and it is the contemporary range we're talking about with the 'Switch/Scandi/Spey' name on the rod, not older models.
I'm with BMP on the Barrio Switch line. At £39 I don't think they can be bettered. #7/8 or 8/9 depending on your rod's weighting. Whatever rod you choose I suggest buying a line in the upper weight bracket. This will load the rod more fully and help you better feel it loading, so improving your timing more swiftly than a lighter line will,

I think that the best thing you can do is to talk to as many local fishermen as you can and ask them what they prefer - but make sure you are specific about the fact you are Spring fishing.
You need to find out whether a floating line with or without sink tip polyleaders will do or whether you will need a full sinking set up.
As for the reel, the Vision Deep is decent for the price and has a very good drag. They do scratch quite easily but are robust and trustworthy.

I reckon you could buy an Oracle, a Deep, a Barrio Switch, backing and a few polyleaders for under or around E250. You may need to order a Barrio Switch in advance as Mike B. often runs out of them quickly, they're that popular. Easily done via his website.
If you are not familiar with Speycasting I recommend watching some tutorials on line so that you have an idea of the action and the terminology involved before reaching the river.
Happy shopping!
Many thanks sir very helpful I will keep an eye out for the various kit you and the others have mentioned.. And will talk to the tiler he is a keen fisherman and knows the waters well.. And will chat to as many others as possible.. Local knowledge in valuable.. Thanks again..

GEK79

Happy shopping!
This type is set up should get me going.. Along with a Mike Barrio when he gets stock back in..

Lewis Chessman

That's the sort of thing, Gary, but you've linked to the Oracle Spey. You might like to do a bit of research about the differences in action between the Switch, Scandi and Spey models in the Oracle range as each rod taper is designed to work best with specific line tapers. Not to say they won't cast with 'the wrong line', they will, but best to match with what each model is designed for, I think, esp. when you are starting out.
There's also an EXP (Expedition) 6 pc. model to consider, but I guess I'd stick with a 4 pc unless you envisage travelling much. Fewer joints should be a tad lighter and give a more consistent 'through action' as ferrules can deaden a rod a bit.

GEK79

That's the sort of thing, Gary, but you've linked to the Oracle Spey. You might like to do a bit of research about the differences in action between the Switch, Scandi and Spey models in the Oracle range as each rod taper is designed to work best with specific line tapers. Not to say they won't cast with 'the wrong line', they will, but best to match with what each model is designed for, I think, esp. when you are starting out.
There's also an EXP (Expedition) 6 pc. model to consider, but I guess I'd stick with a 4 pc unless you envisage travelling much. Fewer joints should be a tad lighter and give a more consistent 'through action' as ferrules can deaden a rod a bit.
A lot to this.. But thanks as always..

GEK79

I might be wrong but my impression is that most very early season salmon fishing in Ireland is with a spinner.
Yeah it is mentioned but I can't do it.. I'd rather take a fly rod and see what happens..other choice is too head to lough melvin hire a boat and Ghillie and fish the salmon that run into the lough.. Expensive tho.

running bear

Early season is as likely to need spinning tackle as it is fly tackle!

I know a little about the Drowse, I’d say definitely a 13’ double hander needed early on especially if water is big, but unless you can get out somewhere to practice (or preferably a lesson) you may not be very effective with it initially. Spring salmon on the fly is hard going. The fishery may hire tackle?

Have a look for used tackle on adverts, done deal, or salmon fishing forum. You may be able to get some kit quite close to you. There’s lots of used salmon kit out there, the most important bit is matching the line to the rod.
I agree that Leeda magnums would make a good start, as would a JW young 1500 series Salmon size, if you don’t want to spend a lot. Ebay has lots of both for sale, £40 would get a useful version of either. If it’s not for you, you can probably resell at a similar cost.

If you go for a switch rod only, don’t go too light. Eg the Shakey oracle 7/8 is really a summer rod (fairly slow action too) and is closer to a Greys 6/7 Switch. The Shakespeare 8/9 is a better bet at the budget end. The online shop in enniskillen used to sell them as cheap as anyone and postage costs within Ireland are good. (I got a Used greys 7/8 for £100 on eBay, and it was spotless, so deals are out there).

Getting a reel for a switch is another thing, many trout reels too small, and salmon sizes unwieldy. you want the largest trout size ideally, I use 3 3/4” orvis Mid arbours, but you’d probably be OK with a vision Koma or another trout reel at the upper end of capacity, look for something that can take a WF8 + 150 of 30lb, although use gelspun if the switch line is tight. Dragonfly 100s or dragonfly 95 concepts can take a switch line too, fairly cheap on e bay and decent robust reels.

Btw, you’ve some really nice fly rivers not to far from you, the Owenea for one is something to think of targeting in the summer, where a switch or a longer single hander is perfect.

GEK79

Early season is as likely to need spinning tackle as it is fly tackle!

I know a little about the Drowse, I’d say definitely a 13’ double hander needed early on especially if water is big, but unless you can get out somewhere to practice (or preferably a lesson) you may not be very effective with it initially. Spring salmon on the fly is hard going. The fishery may hire tackle?

Have a look for used tackle on adverts, done deal, or salmon fishing forum. You may be able to get some kit quite close to you. There’s lots of used salmon kit out there, the most important bit is matching the line to the rod.
I agree that Leeda magnums would make a good start, as would a JW young 1500 series Salmon size, if you don’t want to spend a lot. Ebay has lots of both for sale, £40 would get a useful version of either. If it’s not for you, you can probably resell at a similar cost.

If you go for a switch rod only, don’t go too light. Eg the Shakey oracle 7/8 is really a summer rod (fairly slow action too) and is closer to a Greys 6/7 Switch. The Shakespeare 8/9 is a better bet at the budget end. The online shop in enniskillen used to sell them as cheap as anyone and postage costs within Ireland are good. (I got a Used greys 7/8 for £100 on eBay, and it was spotless, so deals are out there).

Getting a reel for a switch is another thing, many trout reels too small, and salmon sizes unwieldy. you want the largest trout size ideally, I use 3 3/4” orvis Mid arbours, but you’d probably be OK with a vision Koma or another trout reel at the upper end of capacity, look for something that can take a WF8 + 150 of 30lb, although use gelspun if the switch line is tight. Dragonfly 100s or dragonfly 95 concepts can take a switch line too, fairly cheap on e bay and decent robust reels.

Btw, you’ve some really nice fly rivers not to far from you, the Owenea for one is something to think of targeting in the summer, where a switch or a longer single hander is perfect.
I've spotted several fantastic streams and rivers which will be fished. I will keep an eye out and possibly swallow pride and invest in a spinning rod. Cheaper and will only be used for a month.. Not quite what I want but its just a means until I can get to the loughs..