A river in flood.

GEK79

So after 3 or 4 days of solid rain the little river is full of water is it worth going down for an hour or two later today and what should I fish.. Is a dry fly any use in a flood..
Thanks for any help and suggestions
Gary

Mrtrout

Not if it’s up and dirty Gary, you could swing a wet or a streamer.
good luck.
S.

GEK79

Not if it’s up and dirty Gary, you could swing a wet or a streamer.
good luck.
S.
I may drop down its 10 minutes away and see what star she's in I'll take a few pics see what you guys think.. Thanks
Gary

GEK79

I suggest you look at this video.. good tips on where the tout lie when the river is running high and silted. A big dry can work well (Large silhouette).

Many thanks fella will have a look..

GEK79

Cast into the slack water behind a rock or stump or on the inside of a bend maybe
Thanks mate having spent sometime down there when she was dry I have a good idea of where the big rocks and stumps are..

pati

Big dark streamer all the way! The big fishes will be out and less spooky!
BBi

GEK79

Thanks mate having spent sometime down there when she was dry I have a good idea of where the big rocks and stumps are..
Had a small brown on a bibio hopper in the slack.. Great advice thanks pal

mackiia1

In a day or two when the dark muddy colour is gone and the water is carrying a copper tinge to it ( I call it Beery colour ) try a wet fly with either gold or orange in it. Those two colours work well down here when the river is fining down after a flood.
Heres a great fly for it.

Body - Glowbrite #7 Orange
Rib - Gold Wire
Hackle - Black HenOrange and Black.jpg

GEK79

In a day or two when the dark muddy colour is gone and the water is carrying a copper tinge to it ( I call it Beery colour ) try a wet fly with either gold or orange in it. Those two colours work well down here when the river is fining down after a flood.
Heres a great fly for it.

Body - Glowbrite #7 Orange
Rib - Gold Wire
Hackle - Black HenView attachment 28231
Thanks pal had to leave early missed the late rise disagreement with a guy using a spinner.. Of course I have nothing close to that but will check it out.. I'm hoping for a full day on the Lough Saturday.. Beautiful fly...

tangled

I hate streamer fishing in rivers - unless there's a chance of a salmon. I'd rather wait for the river to drop, which is what I'm doing - with increasing frustration.

If you have to do it, use a #7 weight, at least you won't struggle to cast a big chunky lure. And you might get a salmon :cool:

GEK79

I hate streamer fishing in rivers - unless there's a chance of a salmon. I'd rather wait for the river to drop, which is what I'm doing - with increasing frustration.

If you have to do it, use a #7 weight, at least you won't struggle to cast a big chunky lure. And you might get a salmon :cool:
I took the 3wg today the salmon do run up there I will take the 7wt next trip.. Thanks pal..

GEK79

Minimum 6lb full-fat nylon then. Proper murky, 8lb.
I have to be careful now as the river will have salmon and sea trout in it and balifds are always on it.. You need special licence for salmon and sea trout.. And I don't have one as brown trout are free to fish for..