A rough idea..

GEK79

Hello All I think the fly in the picture is a young damsel.. I've seen the adults magnificent.. We were at the beach and there is a pond not far and there were lots of these floating about. I wondered if it was a damsle or dragonfly.. And thought I'd ask here many thabks
Gary

Attachments

GEK79

Damsel. Wings laying along the back when at rest, very slim body.
Dragons have thicker bodies and their wings are splayed to the side when at rest.
I wonder.. My wife and daughter were at Lough Melvin.. Without me and they said there was a hatch on and the fish were leaping my first thoughts were ants but after today possibly the damsels.. Missed some great fishing.. Thanks Guys
Gary

Wee Jimmy

It’s an adult Gary, only the adults have wings. The nymphs live in water and can swim like wee fish...👍

GEK79

It’s an adult Gary, only the adults have wings. The nymphs live in water and can swim like wee fish...👍
That's an adult... Saying that I've only ever seen the blue males getting decimated by trout. Are the males born blue.. Or colour as they get older... Thanks again..

Wee Jimmy

I used to think the blue ones were the males but I’m sure someone put me right on that one.The nymphs are much easier prey than the adults but it doesn’t stop them having a go at an adult if the opportunity presents itself.

GEK79

I used to think the blue ones were the males but I’m sure someone put me right on that one.The nymphs are much easier prey than the adults but it doesn’t stop them having a go at an adult if the opportunity presents itself.
Its possible I'm wrong I know the darker flies during mating either carry or are carried underneath.. Then the blue one dies... I've seen the trout taking them of reeds.. That was maybe 4 years ago.. Great to see frustrating when you don't have a damsel nymph or imitation.. Thanks again

Wee Jimmy

Its possible I'm wrong I know the darker flies during mating either carry or are carried underneath.. Then the blue one dies... I've seen the trout taking them of reeds.. That was maybe 4 years ago.. Great to see frustrating when you don't have a damsel nymph or imitation.. Thanks again
I’ve seen the trout catching the damsels in flight up to a foot or so above the surface....👍

easker1

we are lucky here we get the large red the common blue and the scarce emerald damsel flies here, we also get the Emerald hawker, the scarce Blue Hawker , the Common Blue Hawker the Scottish Darter,the 4 spotted chaser, and a favourite of mine cordulegaster boltonii, the Gold ring dragon fly, one of our lochans is great for watching them Flight, we do get white faced Darters but they are especially Rare here ,these things really make my day at a loch, I watched them hawking at a hill loch Taking Magpie moths, flying off and dropping the wings , the side of the loch was full of moth wings,not every thing is fishing with me, easker1

bobmiddlepoint

That's an adult... Saying that I've only ever seen the blue males getting decimated by trout. Are the males born blue.. Or colour as they get older... Thanks again..
Damsel (and dragon) flies come in many colours. Blue is maybe the most obvious but you get red, green and dull beige ones. When they first crawl out of the nymph shuck are fairly washed out and pale but once dried off and ready for flight with fully inflated and dried wings (which might take several hours) they are fully coloured. Any that are flying around will not be changing colour.

Andy

Fishtales

Common Blue Damselfly ( Enallagma cyathigerumfly )

Blue-Tailed Damselfly ( Ischnura elegans )

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula)

Gold-Ringed Dragon Fly ( Cordulegaster boltoni )

GEK79

Common Blue Damselfly ( Enallagma cyathigerumfly )

Blue-Tailed Damselfly ( Ischnura elegans )

Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula)

Gold-Ringed Dragon Fly ( Cordulegaster boltoni )

Do you guys still see Boon flies.. As a kid I remember bright oranges and greens..

Last edited: