A Vaguely Interesting Observation About The Way Water Sticks To the Flanks Of A Salmon

bobmiddlepoint

How's that for a snappy thread title?

Anyway, while out today trying to get some pictures of spawning fish in poor light and high water I took the following shots. The way the film of water follows the underlying scales on the flanks/back when they are whizzing about half out of the water is something that stands out. I've seen it many times on salmon but never on sea trout (even double figure ones) which I guess is just down to the size of the scales. I did warn you that it was only vaguely interesting...

Scale Pattern 1.JPG

Scale Pattern 2.JPG

Scale Pattern.JPG

Job done (hopefully!)

Job done 1.JPG

Andy

Bobfly2

Flowing on the surface of the outer "slime" layer which I assume is like a hydroscopic gel ?

NAHMINT

Interesting photos .....at this time of year, still have salmon running up the streams, but one has to watch for the bleeding bears !!!
pouring cold rain again today........I am sure my good wife will find something to keep me from being bored!!:rolleyes:

Cap'n Fishy

You may have something there, Andy, though exactly what, I am not sure. If I cherry-pick through the leaping salmon shots I have taken over the years...

CP18Oct14_8087.jpg

BuchantyOct21_1153.jpg

BuchantyOct21_1263.jpg

BuchantySep19_2192.jpg

Buchanty21Sep18_3852.jpg

Buchanty21Sep18_3861.jpg

Buchanty21Sep18_4045.jpg

Buchanty21Sep18_4171.jpg

Buchanty21Sep18_4210.jpg

Buchanty25Oct2017_2816.jpg

Buchanty19Oct16_1361.jpg

Buchanty19Oct16_1649.jpg
Buchanty19Oct16_1743.jpg

Buchanty2013_7083.jpg

Same thing visible in a few of them. While they are selected from a few hundred shots, the interesting thing is that I don't see it in any of the leaping trout shots!

Another skin-related observation. I seem to notice foam in the net any time a summer grilse comes on board from a loch...

Hope4-6Aug20_0440.jpg

Hope4-6Aug20_0459.jpg

Or the grilse comes out the net frothy...

3427.jpg

Uist2014_2929.jpg

Uist2014_3224.jpg

What's all that about??? :unsure:

C.

Bobfly2

I was surmising that that final surface coating has the critical characteristics for water flow.

bobmiddlepoint

You may have something there, Andy, though exactly what, I am not sure.

That was exactly what I was thinking, I don't really know but was assuming it was something like Bobfly's point.

I was surmising that that final surface coating has the critical characteristics for water flow.

Something do do with boundary layers and reduced drag.

Another skin-related observation. I seem to notice foam in the net any time a summer grilse comes on board from a loch...

Can't say I've noticed that but then I've not netted many loch salmon. I guess it's something to do with slime/oils from the fish mixing with the water, fresh grilse (and salmon) are certainly give off a strong smell so there is something coming off them.

Andy

Cap'n Fishy

Can't say I've noticed that but then I've not netted many loch salmon. I guess it's something to do with slime/oils from the fish mixing with the water, fresh grilse (and salmon) are certainly give off a strong smell so there is something coming off them.

I have only ever noted it with grilse.

Not with salmon...

Brora-2019_0318.jpg

Not with sea trout...

Hope2-4Aug21_1794.jpg

Not with brown trout...

Orkney2019_7433.jpg

And not with rainbow trout...

Menteith24Jun16_5310.jpg

Something about the slime on grilse???

raphael

Hi!

I've took many pictures of my fish, mainly grisles and a few salmon. I've checked many pictures from miscellaneous Irish rivers (Moy, Erriff, Finn, Drowes, M.Blackwater) and there are only a couple with the so called "foam"... but it happens the picture is taken just below rapids or falls where the water is already foamy.

Regarding the pattern of the scales of spawning salmon, I guess that it may be due to the use of scales as source of calcium by the fish during their freshwater stay. They do not feed but metabolism of all vertebrates requires calcium and it is known that salmon scales are used for that and tend to seriously fade away. Then the scales may change in shape and design due to that natural wear, and the water flow on them is showing that effect?
Just a supposition from what I've learnt.

R

bobmiddlepoint

I have only ever noted it with grilse.

'tis a mystery!

Regarding the pattern of the scales of spawning salmon, I guess that it may be due to the use of scales as source of calcium by the fish during their freshwater stay. They do not feed but metabolism of all vertebrates requires calcium and it is known that salmon scales are used for that and tend to seriously fade away. Then the scales may change in shape and design due to that natural wear, and the water flow on them is showing that effect?
Just a supposition from what I've learnt.

You might have a point there, I've tried to find a similar effect on pictures of fresh fish battling up the falls and rapids here in May/June or leaping about in the tidal water in July but I don't have anything clear enough to see.

Andy

codyarrow

It looks like badly applied or aged varnish. Can we call it 'varnishing'?

Anyhoo my tuppence half baked theory based on no facts is it will be something to do with the starvation process rather than eco streamlining. You won't see it in sea trout or trout because they are not in the process of consuming their body fats to the same extent. Basically my guess is the skin reacts differently after the colour change, whether that aids some part of the process or is just a consequence???

bobmiddlepoint

It looks like badly applied or aged varnish. Can we call it 'varnishing'?

Anyhoo my tuppence half baked theory based on no facts is it will be something to do with the starvation process rather than eco streamlining. You won't see it in sea trout or trout because they are not in the process of consuming their body fats to the same extent. Basically my guess is the skin reacts differently after the colour change, whether that aids some part of the process or is just a consequence???

I like your thinking here, both on the name and the mechanism behind it.
I propose that the phenomenon be known as Middlepoint Yarrow 'n Fishy Varnishing, there's a Phd in it for someone!

Andy

Bobfly2

Look at the flanks and shoulder area on a post spawning dead fish and you may be able to see the scavenging of the minerals from the scales. Not uncommon for animals to "conserve resources" and even autumn leaf colour change is chlorophyll recovery removing green and allowing carotenoids to show that were swamped before.