A wonderful sight.. But what is it..?

GEK79

That's exactly what it is, sitting on Ragwort unless I'm mistaken. Their caterpillars live on the stuff which makes them highly toxic to any predator that fancys eating one.
Deadly caterpillars.. Mother nature at her best.. 👍

4wings

When I was a kid the then village had Burnet moths everywhere, in fact one of the local roads is called Burnet Lane.
The 6-spot Burnet Moth is a daytime flyer.

roger h 10

When I was a kid the then village had Burnet moths everywhere, in fact one of the local roads is called Burnet Lane.
The 6-spot Burnet Moth is a daytime flyer.
We had loads around here in the past,now we get excited to see one. That's the EU and it's efficient? farming methods for you.
Pleased to say that there seem to be a lot more butterflies around this year but never heard a cuckoo nor seen hardly any swallows or swifts. I look out over farmland so should be seeing these creatures. Very sad.

glueman

Plenty of Swifts,Swallows and House Martins where I live together with the "endangered" Sparrow and Starling Not heard a cuckoo for several years now. If we go back to subsistance farming things could change but you might find the local Tesco empty of fresh food

GEK79

Plenty of Swifts,Swallows and House Martins where I live together with the "endangered" Sparrow and Starling Not heard a cuckoo for several years now. If we go back to subsistance farming things could change but you might find the local Tesco empty of fresh food
We have a few cuckoo's which in the early warm months walking down from my lough hearing them calling is excellent.. There were buzzards in the forestry behind the lough but I found the corpse of one possibly shot...substinance farming.. Not sure we will see it..

4wings

Another reason they are disappearing is the increase of horse riders, this caused consternation as ragwort was a common plant which was poisonous to horses and ponies. Ragwort went along with the Burnett moth.

ohanzee

Another reason they are disappearing is the increase of horse riders, this caused consternation as ragwort was a common plant which was poisonous to horses and ponies. Ragwort went along with the Burnett moth.
I'd say the millions of acres of cattle pasture cleared of ragwort would be far and away more significant than an increase in horse riders.

speytime

Did they clear ragwort in days gone by?

I can picture well grazed areas with ragwort standing untouched, seeing ragwort in cow fields isn't unusual.

Al

glueman

I can picture well grazed areas with ragwort standing untouched.

Al
Ragwort was always cleared except where the council or BR were involved. Farmers have always known it is poisonous to life stock and not that good for man either

ohanzee

I can picture well grazed areas with ragwort standing untouched, seeing ragwort in cow fields isn't unusual.

Al
Modern farming practice can rotate a field in a few hours and get close to 100% crop or grass right to the edge these days, cuts out pretty much everything, its pretty rare to see old style pasture now, most grass fields are less than 2 years old, if you put sheep in you only need to cut back once, the sheep will then keep most things down.

Latest posts