A word of thanks & a warning to other anglers.

Whilst fishing the England loch style eliminator at Blithfield Reservoir recently, I had the misfortune to fall backwards into the reservoir when a freak wave hit the side of the boat. Being a weak swimmer, it was great to see so many anglers stop fishing and rush to my aid. So could I please say a big thank you to each and every one of them. At the time it was a little scary to say the least as my life jacket only half inflated. So can I also take this opportunity to stress that if you own your own life jacket as I did, get it serviced regulary, as are all life jackets on all reservoirs. You can do minor maintenance on your life jacket by making sure that the Co2 cylinder is screwed in tight regularly etc. Something worth mentioning is to invest in a couple of luggage straps which you can pass under the seat in the boat and around your boat seat and secure it down so you don’t have the same problem as I had, they fairly cheap from hardware shops and could be a life saver.

Roy Lewin

ChrisC84

Glad to hear you are ok Roy, and it's good to see others coming to help too

Mark Morton

Roy, the story I heard was that your seat back broke loose as a result of the sudden surge. If this is so, then we should all perhaps make sure our seats are checked and secure. From the word, you had a pretty lucky escape. Although instructions state life jackets must be worn over everything else I did notice a number of people wearing their fly fishing vests over the jackets. Stupid !!

The straps I have purchased had been out twice since the incident, and I have never felt safer, they will have to tie me to the boat and sink it on purpose for something like that to happen again.
I was wearing my life jacket over my vest, but it only half inflated due to the fact I had not had it serviced since I purchased it six years ago.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are ok Roy, and it's good to see others coming to help too

I thought the international scene was win at all cost's but to see the likes of Phil Dixon etc, being first on the scene It now proves to me that its not all about winning, the twenty minutes or so these people took out of there days fishing to help me could have cost them a place in the final.

tenet

I thought the international scene was win at all cost's but to see the likes of Phil Dixon etc, being first on the scene It now proves to me that its not all about winning, the twenty minutes or so these people took out of there days fishing to help me could have cost them a place in the final.

A curse on all their houses had they let you drown just to qualify in a competition which, if truth be told, ain't the most important thing in the world.

Glad your ok and a timely reminder regarding life vests.

Guest108

Pro Member

A massive well done to a good friend Phil Dixon :thumbs: and anyone else that helped you when you needed help Roy.

Reminds me of an incident at a competition a few years ago, although not out in an open water situation.
An older guy slipped and fell whilst leaving the boat. He ended up trapped between boats and the jetty.I won't forget the fear in his eyes. I managed to lean down and grab him by the scruff of his neck and held him till help arrived. I'm a strong fella but had little chance of pulling him up on the jettey alone.

S

Scratch

Reminds me of when my boat partner Ken Moore fell off his seat and into the res, at the jetty.... everyone carried on chatting.

S

Scratch

Aye but he was soon standing up giving it plenty!

No he wasn't, Bert. He was decidedly un-Ken like for the rest of the day, and didn't fish too well either. Took me an hour two to before I started with the wise-cracks, but I was only doing what Ken would have surely done to me! At something like 10-3, Ken muttered under his breath, ''I'm beginning to wish I hadn't turned up today''. ''Don't be like that, Ken, I said, ''everyone else is glad you did''. :D

Cheers for all the comments Lads,

I would just like to add a few names to the list of anglers on hand within seconds.
So could I please say a big thank you to each and every one of them; my boat partner for the day Terry Phillips also the rapid response team of Phil Dixon; Vic Byrne; Craig Smith and Dave Kennel.
Could I also thank the staff on duty during the match, Dave Naylor; George Eardley and Steve Skitt who immediately jumped in a boat and came out to assist, not forgetting Eileen Chetwin, for supplying the tea and made sure my clothes got dried off. If I have missed anyone out I apologise.