A year without buying tackle?

running bear

I buy a lot of tackle, reels and lines in particular, not to mention capes and other fly tying materials. Rods I'm not too bad with, I mostly buy mid to top end second hand rather than new, current fly rod count around 20ish, everything from #2 through to Spey #9/10.

Anyway, I've been made redundant (good news), and am taking a year out for part time study/part time fishing (housework too I've been told).

I was obviously planning on cutting back the tackle purchases, so I can get through the study and still have some cash spare before going back to work (for a summer 2022 Iceland trip). Then I'd a review of what I have and reckon I can go cold turkey and not buy ANY tackle in 2021. I've enough tackle, including consumables such as tippet materials and materials/hooks to tie 1000's of flies.

Can I do it? Where will the temptation come? Has ANYONE on here ever managed to go a year w/o buying any tackle?

I feel I should have a Channel 4 film crew follow my battle against addiction during 2021.

G

GEK79

I buy a lot of tackle, reels and lines in particular, not to mention capes and other fly tying materials. Rods I'm not too bad with, I mostly buy mid to top end second hand rather than new, current fly rod count around 20ish, everything from #2 through to Spey #9/10.

Anyway, I've been made redundant (good news), and am taking a year out for part time study/part time fishing (housework too I've been told).

I was obviously planning on cutting back the tackle purchases, so I can get through the study and still have some cash spare before going back to work (for a summer 2022 Iceland trip). Then I'd a review of what I have and reckon I can go cold turkey and not buy ANY tackle in 2021. I've enough tackle, including consumables such as tippet materials and materials/hooks to tie 1000's of flies.

Can I do it? Where will the temptation come? Has ANYONE on here ever managed to go a year w/o buying any tackle?

I feel I should have a Channel 4 film crew follow my battle against addiction during 2021.
I will await updates. Running Bears cold turkey... Good luck. 😜😜

eddleston123

I have enough of what I would call 'Hardware' (rods, reels, luggage, clothes etc) - but I usually have to stock up with 'usable' things, like Mono, Flies, Gink, Amadou, snips, - Usually about one hundred pounds worth per season. On top of that I usually buy at least one fly line per year.

I consider my outgoings on the sport 'reasonable'

However, I do seem to have accumulated rather a lot of rods over the years (I only use three of them)

My biggest expense is permits - which isn't a lot compared to south of the border.

3 rivers one reservoir, and one loch cost less than £200!

Douglas

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line

Only thing I have bought this year is spools of nylon and flouro!
It can be done no problem!
And just as an aside, your rod tally is tiny compared to mine, which does add on the associated reels and lines to same tally!
Like me, you could probs. do a pretty good clear out of said tackle if funds become tight!
Bert

bobmiddlepoint

I’m sure I could do a year no problem. I’m 52 years old and have enough rods and reels plus hooks and fur & feather that I reckon I could fish ‘til I’m 80 without buying anything major.

The only things I’d need to buy would be leader material and every four or five years a fly line. Oh and breathable waders every six months!

Andy

anith

I’m sure I could do a year no problem. I’m 52 years old and have enough rods and reels plus hooks and fur & feather that I reckon I could fish ‘til I’m 80 without buying anything major.

The only things I’d need to buy would be leader material and every four or five years a fly line. Oh and breathable waders every six months!

Andy
Do you self a favour bob ,get some zazz waders last you out, and take a spare pair troos
to drive home in

Mrtrout

I’ve never read such rubbish in my life, a year without buying a new reel or rod?? I’m tempted to report you to admin for writing such a thing.
Get a grip man your doing us and yourself serious potential harm and long lasting depression talking like that.!!!
Try counselling. :p
S.

PaulD

Has ANYONE on here ever managed to go a year w/o buying any tackle?

Let me take some time to think about the past 50 years or so . . . NO!

In the coming year I will not buy ant further rods, reels or lines as I have sufficient to last me for another two or more lifetimes. However, now fully retired, I do tend to tie flies on a daily basis and I have a very healthy obsession with hooks and genetic capes.

I am 'normal', really I am, very normal, honest.

shropshire_lad

It's not specifically about fishing, more our addiction to spending and consumerism, but I enjoyed this book. Living for a year without money. A bit flawed in places but it's amazing what can be done and it makes you question our habits and think.

516FfPAc8eL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

anzac

A year without buying tackle? Jokingly, I could say, 'Yeah, sure. Not gonna happen!' However, there is the point made above that buying new 'toys' -- be they for fishing or anything else -- is an addiction -- or at least a behaviour. Is it about need, or desire and self-gratification?

Speaking honestly about myself, I admit that I've bought lines for instance not because I needed them, but because I simply wanted to try something I haven't used before. I have done the same when I bought a few, nice, up-market pens that I have. So, yes. That has been about desire, and a behaviour that can be recognised and controlled on a personal level.

Some, like my youngest son's mother in law, carry it beyond an extreme. She, Millie, pre-orders everything Apple puts out. Apple technology is her obsession -- her drug of choice. Mind you, her grandchildren love it because they get her hand me downs as soon as she's tried it and tired of it.

That said, I have gone a year without buying new tackle, but then, my interests were in other sports and that was where what would have been spent on tackle go spent.

heero

Good luck. I think you can do it!

Aside from fly tying material, leader and tippet material is about all I buy in a given year. Could go with the tying stuff, but the leaders and tipper would be difficult. Only other purchase last year was a new net - probably couldve gone without and repaired my defunct on with duct tape, or something. The couple years before I dont recall anything.

Scotty Mitchell

I had the exact same circumstances forced upon me on 2005 but was due to injury I had to take a new career path. My first year of study gave me plenty fishing time but zero spare cash.
I managed no bother, best advice I can give is not to look at classifieds and such like 👍

Spider

Wait till I start going on about split cane rods!

Hope the silk works as well as mine Scotty. Remember, like wine and unlike women, it improves over time. :)

Latest posts