A year without buying tackle?

Paul_B

As for being made redundant, if you're in a union they do some cracking free courses if you're interested.
When they moved our factory to Poland and made us redundant they offered us some, but I was at an age where redundancy meant early retirement with a golden handshake 😃

That was 10 years since and I haven't missed it 🎣

ejw

I come from a little village in Cheshire where "thrift" is an art form ? We did missionary work in Scotland and Yorkshire, as they spent too much !
My early fishing life was paid for by my 1st sport at the time "Wildfowling", plus game and rabbits. I married in the 1970's and were self sufficient for the 1st 10 years ? My Grandfather was a market gardener for 30 years after retiring, so veg was free as well as meat. I bartered for things we needed where possible, sold rabbits and game. All materials for fly tying were collected from birds or game. It was a nice life until the costs went up. It is now cheaper to get most things (food wise) from Tesco's. Being retired now I find it difficult to resist the odd purchase (the Village Committee is looking into my case). But on the whole I have more than enough Fly Fishing "stuff" to last out the next two lifetimes.
Any regrets ? Maybe not keeping enough Snipe wings and feathers from hard now to get birds (i.e. powder blue's from a male Shoveller Duck).

running bear

Waders are my biggest ‘worry’, I have two serviceable pairs and two pairs of boots (both a fair age but still going).

I’m treating this as much a challenge, sure I could just cut down on tackle purchases but that’s not the point.

Every year I do dry January and in February I cut out processed meats. Going cold Turkey recalibrates your consumption levels. Processed meat in particular, I rarely touch bacon now. It might be the same with tackle?

uptomyknee_s

Despite saying that I wont be buying anything there is always something that I think I need. I thought I had finished buying this year but...... I'm picking up a Peli Case tomorrow. Last week it was a reel from a fellow forum member.

benisa

I can say a Year buying gear and not going fishing
as that is a true statement

there is always some little thing that you say Just what I need

I have only got to see what Mr Crabtree as got hold of and I say if S has brought it I should have one also :unsure:

devondabbler

An interesting idea - I have bought a few rods / reels this year but have actually sold more in order to make these purchases.
I now feel that all of the gear I now own is fit for purpose and so 2021 will also be a year where I use what gear I have and focus on the fishing rather than the buying!!!

Paul

smallmouth

Has ANYONE on here ever managed to go a year w/o buying any tackle?
As a skint new father, I once went two or three or maybe more seasons, where I only fished two local “free” small streams for little brownies.

Consequently I only bought a couple of tapered leaders each year. I bought them in early March from a well stocked little tackle shop in a quaint touristy market town.

When he had an audience, the owner would take the proverbial......launching into a routine that cast me in the role of frugal Yorkshire purist making his annual purchase. A monologue perhaps delivered through gritted teeth by the second or third season, after all, he had a living to make.......

Last edited:

gmm243

The year before last I bought a new rod and new wading boots.
Last year I think I only bought some leader,mud and hooks to tie some flies.It came to very little (apart from licence and petrol for the outboard) but I bought a new moderator for my rifle and a new shotgun so I can not say there was no financial outlay for my sporting interests.
In this coming season I am not looking for anything substantial although I do need to find a replacement for the old Fulling Mill flurocarbon .

Hardrar

Lockdown saw some top end and mint kit popping up on various sale sites, so I turned over a fair bit of gear, sold 15 reels and 7 carbon rods, BUT, bought:-
2 Ari’s an Ari 2 and a Gallatin 2 plus seperately, a very rare black Gallatin 2 Spool
4 Abels A First month production T R 1 and Big game Ought, both Ciral black. First production run ventilated Super 4 in Platinum and a Custom Olive early A C 2 creek
Vosseler original DC 2 plus spare spools and a 3 and 4,+ spools, A NOS RC 3
Late run Teton #4 with spare spools,
Vision XLV custom direct from Vision in the #3/4 size green and black with Mayfly Nymph cnc’d into the spool. A Kaplun produced Hardy Marksman with sealed ceramic bearings and Matt finish.
Orvis odyssey 11 NOS (looking for a one still) and two NOS made in England, Orvis BBS 2 and a 3 and two fours.
Rod wise a custom Epic Swift 580 and an Adam Rawson built CTS 740 and a Japanese custom built Shimano 4 piece 580, never sold in the U.K. I bought quite a few lines too, over 20. So opposite to not not buying much!

sean freeman

Lockdown saw some top end and mint kit popping up on various sale sites, so I turned over a fair bit of gear, sold 15 reels and 7 carbon rods, BUT, bought:-
2 Ari’s an Ari 2 and a Gallatin 2 plus seperately, a very rare black Gallatin 2 Spool
4 Abels A First month production T R 1 and Big game Ought, both Ciral black. First production run ventilated Super 4 in Platinum and a Custom Olive early A C 2 creek
Vosseler original DC 2 plus spare spools and a 3 and 4,+ spools, A NOS RC 3
Late run Teton #4 with spare spools,
Vision XLV custom direct from Vision in the #3/4 size green and black with Mayfly Nymph cnc’d into the spool. A Kaplun produced Hardy Marksman with sealed ceramic bearings and Matt finish.
Orvis odyssey 11 NOS (looking for a one still) and two NOS made in England, Orvis BBS 2 and a 3 and two fours.
Rod wise a custom Epic Swift 580 and an Adam Rawson built CTS 740 and a Japanese custom built Shimano 4 piece 580, never sold in the U.K. I bought quite a few lines too, over 20. So opposite to not not buying much!
Where on earth did you find the Abels?! I’m always looking!

eddleston123

Reading the above posts, I suppose that it is not just the cost of buying tackle, it is also the cost of the permit/boat costs/ fuel/ car depreciation/accommodation etc.

Taking all that into account, it is maybe better that we don't add it all up - that may give us a wee bit of a fright, and take away some of the enjoyment!

Douglas

sean freeman

Gina Abel, Japan import and tackle dealer in Bois CA I know. Gina has two of Steve’s TR 2 up for sale now a Gold standard arbour and a black La, with duty and shipping depending on exchange on day £450 ish?
Nice one, I’ve spoke to Gina before but she didn’t have much left in regards to TR’s, I’ll keep holding out, something will pop up on eBay eventually!

airsprite

I enjoy all types of fishing and have found, once you are set up with some reasonable gear, Trout and Salmon fly fishing is much cheaper than Coarse fishing. There are so many more consumables involved with Coarse fishing.
The only exceptions with game fishing seem to be Waders and boots which never seem to last any length of time and permits.
I do think i could go a year with the gear I've got, without any issues.
However i could weaken, if a Hardy Marvel came along at the right price ;)

Steve

taffy1

Yep, 2 seasons on the trot. 2019 I took a sabbatical from fishing for personal reasons & this season has been 1 big horrendous year for everyone. Hopefully, circumstances are going to improve, vaccines etc. will maybe help get everything back to normal, whatever normal was?