A year without buying tackle?

anzac

The only real difference between Angling and sustenance fishing is only that the latter is perceived as work.

My dad and grandfather both were sustenance anglers. We would go fishing in the evening at the end of a day's work, and eat our catch the next night.

ohanzee

You very much need educating, my learned friend, all in the best of nature and intention.
Fishing is the ancient craft of catching fish for consumption or processing and if you want to go fishing you would be better off with a Cast or Seine net, trots or long line, traps or trawl and drift nets, they are much better at catching fish than a rod and line, you are then by definition a fisherman and have gone fishing.
If you return the fish you catch on a rod and line, it is most definitely Sport and you become an Angler- which to me and many on here, is a way of life.
There is a very obvious and distinct difference. I don’t need to go Angling other than for personal enjoyment, a fisherman has to go, to feed his family and also make a living and possibly risk life and limb in the process.
The actual act of having a rod and line in your hand, or in your rod rest is only a small part of being an Angler:- travel, the environment it takes you to, the collecting and ownership of tackle the companionship or solitude, the fishy tales, the photographs, the taxidermy, the art work, the tying your own flies and building your own rods, is all part of the Sport of Angling, tackle suppliers are the lifeblood of our Sport, often owning extensive fishing rights, that we can hire or arranging trips at home and overseas for us, many local to me have Charter boats too for Sea Angling trips. I have many really good friends in the Angling supply industry, that have given me lessons, advice on obtaining fishing rights and new equipment to try foc for feedback, as well as an awful lot of tackle over the years.
You need to read The Compleat Angler by Izaak Walton and the Keeper of the Stream by Frank Sawyer, both of which I have second edition and first editions of, it might help you understand what an Angler vs a fisherman is.
We most definitely do need a tackle supply and Angling industry, a conversation between yourself and my good friend Chris Yates would be very beguiling!

This nonsense, there is no difference between an angler and a fisherman, tackle suppliers sell goods to users, like any other product, I use a hoover more than a fishing rod at the moment, I don't yearn to support the vacuum cleaning industry.

ohanzee

But would you know that fishing was even a thing without the “industry” behind it?

My father introduced me to fishing, that's how I know it exists, we need tackle to do it and there will always be suppliers for that, they work for profit like any other manufacturer or supplier, the interdependence is there but buying stuff because we need to help manufacturers is nonsense.

petevicar

This nonsense, there is no difference between an angler and a fisherman, tackle suppliers sell goods to users, like any other product, I use a hoover more than a fishing rod at the moment, I don't yearn to support the vacuum cleaning industry.
On returning to my hotel after an afternoon on the river I was asked: Have you been fishing?
My reply was: No I have been angling.

What is the difference? I was asked.
My answer: Angling is hunting for fish using a rod, pole or angle. Fishing is when the fish join in.

Mrwayne

Not a chance in hell you'll manage this lol. Wouldn't surprise me if you've bought a new rod or reel already :)

micka

I would most definitely not get sucked into that!

Sorry that comment was a bit Miele mouthed, though it is a Hotpoint for discussion, but most certainly not something to throw a Dyson in deciding what to do.

Mick

micka

Sometimes when I've opted for a tourist fishing trip on a conventional holiday abroad with my wife and I hear the guide say "Now folks remember it's called fishing not catching."

The next thought in my head is "We're going to blank."

I'm not usually wrong!

Mick

Last edited:

clag

I am up for this challenge ex the cost of permits. I have had a couple of Mike Barrio Lines on back order for several months now. So I am not counting them becasue I should have bought them by now if I could. So after those no new kit or sundries at all until 30 September 2021? Based on current bookings, I anticipate to do about 30 days trout fishing and about 15 salmon fishing in that time.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards

CLaG

Last edited:

clag

I am up for this challenge ex the cost of permits. I have had a couple of Mike Barrio Lines on back order for several months now. So I am not counting them becasue I should have bought them by now if I could. So after those no new kit or sundries at all until 30 September 2021? Based on current bookings, I anticipate to do about 30 days trout fishing and about 15 salmon fishing in that time.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards

CLaG
That's January clear (some may say not the most challenging month to buy no fishing tackle in). Still haven't managed to acquire my Barrio lines but fingers crossed they will be in for the start of the season. Anyone else joining in with this firago?

Regards

CLaG

wrongfoot

Last 12mths for certain.
Year before that yes if your don't include consumables tippets/leaders, flytying stuff I actually used up (hooks, threads, chenille and fritz). Is fly tying stuff included?

Possibly replacement of a worn line will be necessary this coming year.

running bear

I'm still purchase free through (dry) January. I passed over two of my favourite no longer in production reels on ebay...one went for only 90 quid, if buying I'd have happily went upto 120!
Not sure if I could have resisited with a few pints on board.

I reckon I'm going to soon be offering some unused river rods for a swap, as I fancy a change in my lough style setup. Honestly, I've probably 4 rods that do a good lough style job, just looking something different!

running bear

Last 12mths for certain.
Year before that yes if your don't include consumables tippets/leaders, flytying stuff I actually used up (hooks, threads, chenille and fritz). Is fly tying stuff included?

Possibly replacement of a worn line will be necessary this coming year.
Fly tying included, but then like many on here, I've enough for ten life times.