A year without buying tackle?

clag

Looks like February is going to be month number two with no purchase. Not going fishing helps. However, I received a message yesterday to say the Sportfish Lake at Hayward Farm in Reading is openning on March1. So I shall be going for a flick soon. Trouble is, it is situated next to one of the largest gamefishing retail outfits in UK........is that the definition of Chinese Water torture?

Regards

CLaG

petevicar

Looks like February is going to be month number two with no purchase. Not going fishing helps. However, I received a message yesterday to say the Sportfish Lake at Hayward Farm in Reading is openning on March1. So I shall be going for a flick soon. Trouble is, it is situated next to one of the largest gamefishing retail outfits in UK........is that the definition of Chinese Water torture?

Regards

CLaG
Be strong.

original cormorant

Regards

CLaG
Unless the shop is selling bait it will be closed.

clag

I have fallen. Not quite how I expected to. Out of the blue I had a chance to purchase a Super Grade A JC cape. Given how difficult they are to source I thought it worthwhile to suffer the ignominy of not succeeding in this task. BTW it’s an absolute cracker. Beautiful sharp colouring, a good range of feather size and almost no splits. Still I am trying to stick to the no tackle purchase for the rest of the season.

Regards

CLaG

running bear

I have fallen. Not quite how I expected to. Out of the blue I had a chance to purchase a Super Grade A JC cape. Given how difficult they are to source I thought it worthwhile to suffer the ignominy of not succeeding in this task. BTW it’s an absolute cracker. Beautiful sharp colouring, a good range of feather size and almost no splits. Still I am trying to stick to the no tackle purchase for the rest of the season.

Regards

CLaG
Weak man, but you could justfiy it as an ornament?

I have been tempted but resisted a few items.
The sandy neslon built epic 580 on classifieds was tough, a daiwa airty loch style was on ebay from newmill for weeks at 199 before someone bought it, and very recently i was contemplating a Bloke fibreglass kit (as a fathers day present), but it went from 85 to 102 overnight, so i renaged. Someone has a Hardy ultralite disc 4" plus 5 spare spooks on ebay, so im not looking how thats going. I have one, but id love another+spools.

My next challenge will be after my first day chasing salmon, i fancied replacing my GT4 catapult with a hardy demon last season but didnt purchase.

Vintage Badger

I've just returned to fly fishing after an 11 year break and it's already cost me a fortune... £30 for a fishing licence!

Joking aside, I think I've got away fairly lightly; a dozen new flies, three or four bits of fly tying materials, a pot of Mud, some CDC oil, a couple of new tapered leaders and a second-hand reel from eBay as a back up for the one I have, otherwise those spools full of line (which appear to have survived perfectly, with no signs of hardening or cracking) would be useless if my existing reel broke. Plus the cost of a casting lesson to refresh my memory. So not too painful on the wallet, so far!

I'll probably treat myself to a new floating line for next time I go. If so, I'll think of it as spreading the cost over the last 11 years of abstinence! 😇

Gdog

I've never managed to buy no tackle in a single year over 3 decades of fly fishing.

In the depths of the last recession in 2012 and 2013 following redundancy and working for drastically reduced wages, I still managed to buy fly tying materials spools of leader and a greys GX500 reel in 2012 which I sold a fee years later when I got a better paid job.

Over the last 6 years I've stocked up on rods and reels now owning twice as many as I did before. I'm content with what I have now and will only replace lines or clothing that wears out for the next 5 years or so.

haggstock

I’ve just bought 36 flies as I can’t be bothered to tie anything at the moment . My first purchase in about 24 months . ( although circumstances wrote all of 2020 off irrespective of Covid ) . Having spent my working life in Operational Efficiency, in retirement , I’ve decided to apply it to hobbies , if it’s redundant it goes , if it’s duplicated , it goes, if it’s a whim it doesn’t get bought .

Last month I sold off all the blue water tackle me and my buddy had ( Penn internationals etc ) we’re to old to be lugging that lot around airports ( remember them ) at our age .

The only fly gear I’ll be buying are consumables.

Last edited:

smallmouth

I bought some new Vass thigh waders the other week, but I count waders as consumables......