ABU Cardinal 664Gt Drag Setting Question

Lewis Chessman

Hi, folks.
I've been given an Abu Cardinal 664GT open-face bait casting reel and I'm struggling to understand how the main drag works (and can't find a manual on line).

I understand the anti-reverse slider, the 'free spool' slider and the 'Strike Set' knob but the main drag at the rear has two parts, a numbered, knurled knob and an adjustable (turnable) bar knob set inside the former.
Turning the knurled knob adjusts the drag but I can't work out the function of the bar knob.
Any info gratefully received, thanks.

Rhithrogena

I had one and killed it with seawater. From memory doesn't the inner bar knob adjust the free spool tension?

Lewis Chessman

I'm just playing with the reel now and it appears to me that the Strike Set knob (on the base of the body) is what affects the free-spooling tension.

The 'bar drag knob' (henceforth BDK), which is set inside the knurled knob (KK), does influence the main drag. Yet, however one sets the BDK initially it will always turn with the KK, increasing or decreasing the main drag once the free-spooling has been over-ridden by a turn of the handle - but the KK affects the drag anyway .... So what is the purpose of the BDK?

I've never ledgered a river (which I presume this reel is designed for?) so really don't know the requirements for a reel in that branch of the sport.

I must say, although it looks nice and technical there's a lot of play in the handle spindle where it enters the body. Still useable but not a patch in terms of quality compared to my 70s Cardinal.

Lewis Chessman

I dug out my old ABU catalogues to see if I had one with this reel in it - and I do, well, almost. Three TLs in fact, '88 (new), '89 and '90. The next I have is '96 and it's disappeared from their range by then.
Here's what they say:

1-P1040009-001.JPG
1-P1040016.JPG

In short, they describe this range as 'live-baiting/trolling reels'. The spool can be set at 'free spooling' and the free spooling drag can be set independently with the Strike Set knob (B) to allow your live bait some movement. A quarter turn of the handle engages the main drag when you're ready to strike.
Apparently the BDK (2, above) can be set independently from the main drag (1) and, they say, will prevent line breakage.
As far as I can see, the inner drag simply lets you set a maximum drag limit should you need to crank the outer drag up to it's max. during a fight.

The catalogues I have show the 663GT and 654GT models but not my 664GT. I think the difference between the 65xGTs and 66xGTs is the 'FC' ('fast cast'?) lever on the bale arm mounting of the 66x's. With them, one can pull this lever outward and the bale arm flips over and sets, ready to cast. The 65x's are set as usual with open faced reel, by manually moving the bale arm. Funny they don't mention this when they show a 663GT in the photo.

I'm not convinced that either the 2ndary drag or the 'fast cast' lever are any great advantage, but I've not used live bait since 1978 and never trolled with a spinner, so what do I know?
Other than to keep old catalogues, nuffink!
:)

Latest posts