Adder bites

sage5

Just been reading the Scottish news on the internet.

A three year old boy has been bitten on the foot in his own garden, and he has had two ops in the sick childrens hospital in Glasgow,hope he recovers well, ( hope that this post is in the right place}

eddleston123

For a three year old, I would imagine that adder venom could be very serious. I too hope he makes a full recovery.

In my childhood we used to sometimes make long walks into the Pentland hill, (south of Edinburgh) and search for adders with sticks. There was plenty then. Fortunately, no one (to my knowledge) ever got bit. We did have some respect for them.

Now - You could search all week and never find one. They seem to have completely disappeared!

Douglas

black knight

Nobody in GB has died from an adder bite for over 20 years. A bite can make you very ill and if not treated causes gangrene but with hospital treatment patients usually make a full recovery.

Mrtrout

Nasty, hope the lads ok, it’s one thing I still fear, the thought of putting my hand on one whilst climbing up a river bank gives me nightmares.
S.

Mrtrout

I don't really mind them Steven, there are lots in this part of Argyll
We have our share in the Lakes, certain areas more than others but I avoid known hotspots.
I think the warmer climate doesn’t help, they breed far easier in hot dry climates.
S.

richfish1

We often find them curled up basking on top of our wood-pile. Also a lot of them on my local smallstream. A beautiful creature.
Hope the boy gets better soon.

Respect to all Fly Fishers....

Mrtrout

We often find them curled up basking on top of our wood-pile. Also a lot of them on my local smallstream. A beautiful creature.
Hope the boy gets better soon.

Really Rich :jaw: if I thought they were in my garden I’d move out next day.
They may be beautiful but anything that’s venomous isn’t my cup of tea, we need St Patrick over here. ;)
Always had a thing about snakes I’m afraid.
S.

richfish1

Really Rich :jaw: if I thought they were in my garden I’d move out next day.
They may be beautiful but anything that’s venomous isn’t my cup of tea, we need St Patrick over here. ;)
Always had a thing about snakes I’m afraid.
S.
My Claire won't go near the logs now, it was her that discovered one first. I however, love snakes and I'm determined to get a nice photo of one. I'm quite shocked at how fast they move once they're aware of your presence.
Spiders however, they're my fear.... hate em

ohanzee

I opened a window in Italy once and a snake came right at me along a wall, gave me the fright of my life, at least in the UK dangerous looking things tend to go in the opposite direction, three is pretty young but I'm sure he will be fine with medical attention, not the best school holiday but its a good story to go back to school with.

Mrtrout

My Claire won't go near the logs now, it was her that discovered one first. I however, love snakes and I'm determined to get a nice photo of one. I'm quite shocked at how fast they move once they're aware of your presence.
Spiders however, they're my fear.... hate em

Good for Claire, I used to get immense spiders in my wood pile, trouble was half the time when I filled the log baskets the spiders got a free lift into the house.
Then next day watching tv and a spider the size of a mouse would walk across the carpet, I hate spiders as well, but not as much as snakes.
S.

taffy1

From Google:-

"Recovery

Recovery times for snake bites can vary depending on the species of snake involved.

In most cases, children bitten by an adder will make a full recovery in one to two weeks.

Adults usually take more than three weeks to recover fully, with a quarter taking between one to nine months. Early treatment with antivenom can reduce these times.

During the recovery period, you may experience episodes of pain and swelling in the area that's been bitten.

These symptoms can usually be controlled by taking over-the-counter painkillers, such as paracetamol, and continuing to exercise the limb."

I sincerely hope the youngster makes that full recovery.

scobo

Nearly sat on a pile of adders when fishing a hill loch in Sutherland.
Jumped about 10' in the air when fortunately, I saw the grass move out the corner of my eye, right where I was about to sit down for a break. :wow:

anzac

Jungle training circa 1967-68 included an introduction to the flora and fauna of Southeast Asia. The instruction about snakes, while untrue, was quite memorable.

To quote, 'Gentlemen, there are 100 different species of snakes in Vietnam. Ninety-nine of them are venomous, the other one just swallows you whole.'

We had one bloke shoot and kill a cobra as it crawled towards his platoon leader. The platoon leader nearly fainted; first from the shots being fired virtually at his feet, and then from seeing what was within a foot of his leg that caused the shooting. We also had bloke sprayed in the face (and temporarily blinded) with venom by another cobra. I had a tree viper crawl between my feet on one occasion. Then there was the python that dropped down on one bloke when he walked under a tree.

Nope, I'm not a fan of 'Slithering Sam'.

parrot

We have had a couple of dogs bitten down in Ashdown Forest which is a bit of shot spit for Adders. All the dogs recovered.

I am conscious now when my dog goes romping across the heath, but what can you do!

sage5

Yes they are a pest for dogs as they are always nosing about the side of the foot paths,the forestry commission have warning notices alerting dog walkers of adders on some of the roads.

don1971

When I was a young lad I got bitten on the hand by an adder in France. Had to have about 100 injections up my arm, and spent 4 nights on a drip in hospital. I have steered clear of snakes ever since.

blithfield2

I hate spiders as well, but not as much as snakes.
S.
I am thoroughly disillusioned! There was I, thinking you were the tuffest on the forum - this is worse news than when the forum needs upgrading!

Latest posts