Adder bites

WelshOsprey

Lots of adder bites down here this year

Why people are seeing so many snakes during the heatwave - Wales Online

Overheard a guy who runs the campsite in Llangennith after a bloke got bit on the ankle. After someone came to report it to him I heard him asking if it was child or a dog. When the chap said no, he just said in that case as long as its not on the neck, it'll be fine and no need for hospital. Said he'd seen loads of people being bit down there around the dunes. Think I'd recommend anyone got checked out, as you never know what existing conditions they have that could make things worse.

MobyJones

From Google:-

"Recovery

Recovery times for snake bites can vary depending on the species of snake involved.

In most cases, children bitten by an adder will make a full recovery in one to two weeks.

Adults usually take more than three weeks to recover fully, with a quarter taking between one to nine months. Early treatment with antivenom can reduce these times.

During the recovery period, you may experience episodes of pain and swelling in the area that's been bitten.

These symptoms can usually be controlled by taking over-the-counter painkillers, such as paracetamol, and continuing to exercise the limb."

I sincerely hope the youngster makes that full recovery.
Me too.

Thankfully adder bites are very rarely fatal. The seriousness all depends on the victims age, health, where bitten, how much venom was injected into the bite and most important of all, how long did it take to receive appropriate medical attention.

I hope the little lad makes a speedy recovery and also hope the press don't demonise snakes any more than they already do.

floatfish

Adders are very shy snakes and prefer to be left alone. They lay out in the sun and bask
in it. Generally if you spot one, give it a wide berth and it will not bother you.
Fishing a couple of weeks ago, one laid out in the sun on the path. I walked round it
and it never moved. Gone by the time I returned.

Apologies if this information has been mentioned before.

Vermontdrifter

The house of my maternal grandparents was in the countryside near Chaumont and it was a rare summer when I didn't run across four or five but as stated they are extremely shy and the main danger seems to be in stepping on or putting one's hand on a sleeping adder by accident. Everyone who had been bitten by an adder in the last thirty or forty years in the village had it happen while picking wild strawberries and startling a sleeping snake. There is an old cemetery about ten km from the house and you couldn't pay me to go in there as in the morning you can look over the wall and see snakes on every other tomb warming up in the sun.

Mrtrout

The house of my maternal :eek:mg:grandparents was in the countryside near Chaumont and it was a rare summer when I didn't run across four or five but as stated they are extremely shy and the main danger seems to be in stepping on or putting one's hand on a sleeping adder by accident. Everyone who had been bitten by an adder in the last thirty or forty years in the village had it happen while picking wild strawberries and startling a sleeping snake. There is an old cemetery about ten km from the house and you couldn't pay me to go in there as in the morning you can look over the wall and see snakes on every other tomb warming up in the sun.
Just the thought of it Terry makes me cringe. :eek:mg:
S.

Mrtrout

I was salmon fishing in Scotland many years ago and sitting on the bank with two friends one of those appeared.
He picked it up trying to show off and it bit him. ;)
S.

eddleston123

The other evening, I sat down on the bank for a break after a couple of hours fishing.

My tranquillity was disturbed by a voice that was saying - 2 plus 2 equals 4 - 4 plus 4 equals 8 - 8 plus two equals 10

I got up and poked about in a grass tussock with my wading sticking, and there it was - An Adder!!

Douglas

Last edited:

Vermontdrifter

Just the thought of it Terry makes me cringe. :eek:mg:
S.
It is a bit of a startling sight Steven and the last thing you want to do is go in to pay your respects. I nearly knelt down on an adder in June. Spotted it in time, backed off, prodded it with my rod and the poor thing woke up and slithered off to cover a.s.a.p.! I then occupied the vacated spot and cast to a nice brown who promptly dove into some tree roots and snapped the tippet.

Terry

richfish1

What about one of these sharing your tent Steven:)

It was when I first found a Slow-worm that kicked off my fascination with all thinks Lizard and reptile. Wonderful things. Don't see half as many about these days. 2 in total this year so far.

Respect to all Fly Fishers....

richfish1

Whilst we're on the subject of Adders/Grass snakes etc, Is there anything I can make as a hibernation box for Snakes? Maybe something like a Hedgehog box, full of dry leaves and mosses? I want to make sure they stick around for good

Vermontdrifter

If you already have adders sleeping on top of your log pile now then odds are good that they are hibernating inside of it come the cool weather. Be very careful getting logs come the spring. Wearing heavy leather gloves that reach above your wrists might not be a bad idea.

Take care

Terry

Mrtrout

Whilst we're on the subject of Adders/Grass snakes etc, Is there anything I can make as a hibernation box for Snakes? Maybe something like a Hedgehog box, full of dry leaves and mosses? I want to make sure they stick around for good

Good idea Rich, just put a stick of dynamite inside so when it’s full of poisonous snakes you can blow them up. ;)
S.

G

guest54

Huge pile of grass cuttings, and by huge I mean immense, compost heaps are a favoured place for hibernating grass snakes and for egg laying.

richfish1

Huge pile of grass cuttings, and by huge I mean immense, compost heaps are a favoured place for hibernating grass snakes and for egg laying.
That's handy. My two compost crates are alongside the woodpile. Perhaps that's why they're there then.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

ohanzee

I thought Slow Worms were protected and you weren't allowed to pick them up? Having said that seen a few kids running around with them in Llangennith campsite.
I didn't know, I picked it up to put it off the road, you certainly have to be careful as they drop bits of tail, the one in the pic is regrowing and the other beside it had just lost a section.

ohanzee

An old 3' square bit of ply wood seemed to work for one that gave me a fright, and probably a few mice too thinking it looked like a nice home, the secret is apparently proximity to water, seemingly they like a water supply and travel better in wet, but a dry place to sleep, the one I uncovered was under a tree(and ply) right beside a drainage ditch.

Latest posts