Adder bites

Mrtrout

I’m not reading this thread anymore it’s just winding me up!!
Can we talk about bunny rabbits instead please?
S.

ohanzee

I’m not reading this thread anymore it’s just winding me up!!
Can we talk about bunny rabbits instead please?
S.
Do you remember sitting in the heather beside a small bay on a loch just north of Inveraray? your chances of encountering an adder was about 10'000 times higher there than where you fish.

Mrtrout

Do you remember sitting in the heather beside a small bay on a loch just north of Inveraray? your chances of encountering an adder was about 10'000 times higher there than where you fish.
Now you tell me!!!
S.

Vermontdrifter

No need to worry Steven. Just remember that adders are very shy and before climbing out just bump the bank with the rod handle a couple of times and in the unlikely case that there is one in the area it will rapidly evacuate the area and leave you none the wiser to its presence. I don’t particularly care for them either but would only kill one if it was near a house with pets and/or small children. On the positive side where you have grass snakes you rarely have adders as the grass snakes consider them a food source.

Mrtrout

No need to worry Steven. Just remember that adders are very shy and before climbing out just bump the bank with the rod handle a couple of times and in the unlikely case that there is one in the area it will rapidly evacuate the area and leave you none the wiser to its presence. I don’t particularly care for them either but would only kill one if it was near a house with pets and/or small children. On the positive side where you have grass snakes you rarely have adders as the grass snakes consider them a food source.
Terry, you just said one was asleep on the path and you had to poke it to wake it up, they can’t be that blooming alert? :thumbsdown:;)
Grass snakes eat Adders, wow.
S.

richfish1

My Mrs has seen them in the same place, same day. I never realised a Grass Snake would prey upon an Adder... every day is a school day.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

G

guest54

My Mrs has seen them in the same place, same day. I never realised a Grass Snake would prey upon an Adder... every day is a school day.

It shouldn't surprise you when you consider that a female grass snake can grow to 6 foot in length, the biggest I ever saw was in the Moss valley and was about 5 foot long although I wasn't prepared to get close enough to measure it accurately.

richfish1

It shouldn't surprise you when you consider that a female grass snake can grow to 6 foot in length, the biggest I ever saw was in the Moss valley and was about 5 foot long although I wasn't prepared to get close enough to measure it accurately.
Our Grass snakes have been nowhere near that size. Although I saw a huge one somewhere, it was either when I was with 3lb Grayling on Mentieth or at Blithfield with my mate. Can't remember now, but was very long.

Vermontdrifter

Terry, you just said one was asleep on the path and you had to poke it to wake it up, they can’t be that blooming alert? :thumbsdown:;)
Grass snakes eat Adders, wow.
S.
I was a few feet away and in stealth mode so minimum noise and vibration but for all I know the poor thing was as deaf as I am and couldn’t afford a decent pair of hearing aids!

Mrtrout

I was a few feet away and in stealth mode so minimum noise and vibration but for all I know the poor thing was as deaf as I am and couldn’t afford a decent pair of hearing aids!
Maybe so, but I bet it still had a decent pair of fangs. :p
S.

Vermontdrifter

Rich; are you sure you don’t have any Basque in you? Both my mother in law and wife are terrified of spiders and horses!

ohanzee

I'd put a Feisty Jack Russell or a nasty feline far ahead on my fear factor list.
Or even above a Spider... a Horse. (Spider has just been relegated to 2nd)
I'd add these to your list...

If you are ever unfortunate enough to come across this little cutie you are seconds from a new hairstyle courtesy of mum, she eats adders..

ohanzee

Perhaps Steven should get a pine weasel as a pet, no more adder worries:)

ibm59

Loch a’ Bharain beside the Crinan Canal near Dunardry used to crawl with the things. :thumbsdown:
Found that out the hard way one hot summer’s day many moons ago.:eek:hno:
Didn’t get bitten , but everywhere I looked there was another sunning itself
Beat a hasty retreat.

Great uncle was lock keeper at Lock 13.
Grand place for summer holidays as a nipper. :)

BlueFrog

Had the caravan on Kielder for a year when the kids were younger, plenty there at the time around the campsite & the birds of prey center.

They were a bit of a worry with the kids, I had to go looking for them at the start of the season to make them aware to leave them alone, quite a diversity of colours from really dark through to pale yellow & the young ones a red colour, really beautiful reptiles in their own right.

Last edited:

Latest posts