Adding a fighting butt to this rod

Riffler

Here is my butt.

The screw section is captive, so doesn't remove from the rod.

Can it be converted to a fighting butt?

IMG_20210725_175548.jpg

fruinfisher

Remove the end cap . Take a section of a old Brocken rod blank and fit as it was a spigot . Cut the protruding section to the length required ( 11/2” say) . Drill a champagne cork and glue . File and sand to your preferred shape . Job done 👍

easker1

MM, I use a 5wt for browns and seatrout , I have had a 7lb grilse with a 6wt , last time I caught a mullet a shark took it this was in Lobito Bay 1959, and this was on a Bamboo cane needless to say the Shark got away and Monkeys in the trees were laughing at me, those were the Days, easker1

bbamboo

Remove the end cap . Take a section of a old Brocken rod blank and fit as it was a spigot . Cut the protruding section to the length required ( 11/2” say) . Drill a champagne cork and glue . File and sand to your preferred shape . Job done 👍
Yes that's the way I would do it. 👍

original cormorant

Is there a separate end cap or is the end cap and screw fitting all one piece?

What action is the rod - is it suitable for sw use.

I asume you realise that it will no longer (pun) fit in the rod tube.

sedgy

Yes as suggested…I make about three in different lengths for my bigger rods ,ease to remove and help a lot with strong running fish such as mullet as it keeps the reel away from clothing.Can make you a set if you are truly stuck in making your own but would need the butt section sent to me to be sized for a tight interference fit👍

Riffler

Is there a separate end cap or is the end cap and screw fitting all one piece?

What action is the rod - is it suitable for sw use.

I asume you realise that it will no longer (pun) fit in the rod tube.
I suspect the end cap and shoe for the reel foot is plastic and one piece but cannot be sure. The end cap has a knurled edge.
Its a tip flex Orvis 9ft #6, a refurbished rod, apparently from Farlows. Possibly a Zero Gravity, possibly not. My go to swffing rod is an #8 version of this rod and I've been looking for a #6.
It doesn't have a tube, I don't use the tubes on my rods which have them.
Initial casting suggests it feels exactly like my #8 in action.

Riffler

Yes as suggested…I make about three in different lengths for my bigger rods ,ease to remove and help a lot with strong running fish such as mullet as it keeps the reel away from clothing.Can make you a set if you are truly stuck in making your own but would need the butt section sent to me to be sized for a tight interference fit👍
I suspect removing the cap/shoe will trash it. I was figuring to slip on a plastic reel tube fitting, then add an extra 3" to that.

sedgy

Okay…..if it’s knurled then would say definitely alloy and would say glued on.
If you are 100% committed to fit a fighting butt,which will dramatically improve things especially for Mullet-long runs and lengthy fights, then dunk the end of the rod covering end cap only in boiling water to soften the glue and gently remove with some grips and protection cloth.
Once off you should see the end of you rod blank ,their may be some covering of glue which will have to be carefully removed with a drill /dremel /stanly blade…..but once exposed it is only then a case of finding a section of old rod that will fit perfectly tight inside.

A fighting butt made this way is super strong,much stronger than the threaded type, and can even be weighed inside for a perfectly balanced rod at the grip.

Plastic reel seat fitting idea……not sure if it will have any strength,their is a lot of leverage on it while playing a fish. Will it not drop off all the time and look a bit pants 🙈

Last edited:

sedgy

Have had another look at your photo….it’s a really nice fitting actually.
You could just drill ,after centre punching the end cap with a 10mm drill bit…..very gently and carful. But 9 times out of ten the cap usually just loosens off
during the process.

Send the photo to ORVIS and ask them to confirm if the stem and cap is a one piece fitting or two?

How do you tighten down on the reel shoe with that fitting then?
Does the whole end cap thread up on to the shoe fitting?
Strange ….you would think that there should be one or two threaded rings that do the clamping down?

Last edited:

Riffler

Here is the knurled locked by ring at it's full extent, it is captive.
Then, close up.
The cap does look like it's a separate item and might pop off.
I'll try the hot water method but I have a feeling the end assembly is plastic coated aluminium.
The burred section is pretty but it's only 4" and I'm not bothered if it is covered by some other fitting eventually.

IMG_20210815_172022.jpg
IMG_20210815_172108.jpg

sedgy

Right….so looking at it the part with ‘orvis’ emblem on it must be threaded in order To travel up the seat and tighten on to the reel foot. Not the ideal set up for a fighting but as the length of the rear is changing in length as you change reels…..but not the end of the world….would extend the rear cap fully out as you have done in the photo … centre punch and drill a hole with a 10 mm bit .Then wind full in and get to work exposing the end of the rod blank.Once exposed you are away as previous discussed. If all goes tits up you can always change the threaded end cap rubbish thing for two locking rings off another reel seat as they are all pretty much a standard size 👍

sedgy

Would look quite nice actually…as the cork extension would start flush with the knurled ring and you could even glue the first cork ring on to this cap, turning the whole of the new extension butt to tighten on to the reel foot👍

ed_t

Here is the knurled locked by ring at it's full extent, it is captive.
Then, close up.
The cap does look like it's a separate item and might pop off.
I'll try the hot water method but I have a feeling the end assembly is plastic coated aluminium.
The burred section is pretty but it's only 4" and I'm not bothered if it is covered by some other fitting eventually.
Be a shame to go cutting and chopping workmanship like that.

My guess is the flare on the end cap was to allow a swage on the threaded seat section so the end cap becomes retained i.e. the swage swells the seat thread and stops the cap coming off. The flat end is probably a brazed or soldered cap and the knurling is how it was finished after the brazing.

A more considerate solution would be to find a craft jewelry maker and solder a threaded bush to the end cap. There's a big flat area to get good adhesion and you would retain the original craftsmanship. Thousands of these folk loitering around craft fares so shouldn't be too expensive... probably cheaper than trying to find someone to engrave that orvis logo.

Lead/tin solder is low temperature but a bit weak. A silver fillet would be stronger but higher temperature though stock in trade for a jeweler.

You'd also be able to attach a simple cap and retain the look of the original or unscrew the cap and screw on the fighting butt.

ROVER

I love stuff like this and reverse engineering how something might have been built.

Looking at the cap I've got a different idea how it might be put together. I'm guessing that the end cap might not have been brazed on after fitting together as it would then have had to be painted/coated with its black finish, in situ which I can't imagine being practical. It could possibly be held captive by an internal stud running up and down inside the reel seat with a retaining cap on the end, that's how I do my take on an ATH reel seat. If that is the case then you could simply cut the end off a few mm above the knurl and you'd be left with a locking ring and an open end on the end of the seat, you'd need to get the stud out from inside but then you'd have the end exposed to fit your fighting but into. The cut end of the locking ring would need repainting of course. A possible way to find out if it does have an internal stud without removing the seat from the rod would be to push a long thin rod down inside the blank and have a poke about, if the rod doesn't go all the way to the end of the cap, but goes up and down when the wind the cap in and out its a fair bet its like i've described. Hard to explain but maybe easier to see in a sketch.
1630970385836.png

1630970583176.png

Rhithrogena

As a completely different alternative, have you seen these? You could keep it in a pocket and stick it on after hooking that big one...Or find a foam butt grip that you could ream out to a tight fit on your existing butt cap...

Last edited:

splinters

Devil's advocate here, if you cut off the swelled, knurled section of the cap what will you use as a grip to tighten it? I think that's what the knurling is for. Jus' sayin' s'all.
If I was attempting this, I would definitely remove the seat using heat/cold first. Then take a look inside to see what's what.
S.

Latest posts