Advice for a new rod

Nwalker1975

So i'm making a return to fly fishing after a 10 year lay off, first hurdle is to buy a new Rod, stupidly sold my others.
So i'm looking to spend around £400 and I've been trying to decide between a Hardy Demon or a Mackenzie NX1 both probably 10ft #7 (for stillwater fishing)

Does anyone have experience of either ?

I was tempted to bid on a Demon that ive seen on Ebay, although the price is climbing and i think its the older model the 3 piece non sintrix model (does this make any difference)?

Any other recommendations most welcome

Neil

Mrtrout

S.

mebu

The Demon and the NX1 are both very good rods, not that much difference, both will do a good job. It's unlikely you will be able to try them both side by side, you will enjoy whichever you decide on.

Peter

jdewhurst

The 3pc non sintrix Demon is not half the rod the newer Demon sintrix. If going Hardy, I'd also check out the new Shadow sintrix, lovely casting rod too!

beanieboy

Having used 6wt rods for years (Sage One 9'6" and more recently Loop SX 9') I decided to purchase a 10' 7wt. I went for a Wychwood RS and I'm glad I did. Lovely rod, not quite as fast as I'm used to, but very light and powerful. Well finished (only gripe is rings are a bit thin) with top quality carbon rod tube. A lot of rod for £169.99!

Paul_B

My rods of choice are both Greys 10" 8# I have a couple of 10" 5# that rarely see the light of day and my little brook rods sit by their side.
We are all different, but we're not wrong :)