Advice new comp rod 10’ #7

Hoggz

Hi everyone, need some advice on rod choice. Shortlist is as follows:
Greys GR80 comp
Sage pulse
Orvis Recon

If you own any of the above, how do you find them?

Thanks

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
I have the recon but as a 9' 5wt so I can only speak for the finish and action of that model. Finish is very good with a great handle and the action is such that it gives a good combination of distance and accuracy, not superb at anything specific but a good all-rounder with no obvious flaws. Now how much of that translates to the longer, heavier rod I don't know.

Steve

cammy

I don't have any of them but I do have a few Greys rods that I fish with. They are getting on a bit now, they are either Platinums or Platinum x with one Platinum x comp special, black rod with composite cork handle. They were at the time the top end of thd Greys range and I have variuos lenghts 10' and above, but 10' #7 is the mainstay.
I like them all, hence I have a few and they are all I use for my stillwater rainbow and river sea trouting. I do have a couple of 10' #5 I will use on occassion.
My only criticism I have is the early cork composte handle on the special, I think it may have been one of the first, gets a bit shiny and is not as good as a full cork. I would image they have improved since then.
As I am a Greys buyer, I would if given the choice choose the GR80 for that reason.

losthwy

I don't have any of them either. But I would suggest a rod with a guide on butt section to reduce line sag and a downloading reel seat to balance with a lighter reel. For balance is especially important in Euro Nymphing. That said, I recently purchased a Syndicate 3wt, 11 foot (335 cm). It comes with an uploading reel seat which I replaced with a downloading seat. There are videos online which show you how to do it, It wasn't that difficult. I have been very pleased with it. And has worked very well with the Modular euro rigging.

original cormorant

I don't have any of them either. But I would suggest a rod with a guide on butt section to reduce line sag and a downloading reel seat to balance with a lighter reel. For balance is especially important in Euro Nymphing. That said, I recently purchased a Syndicate 3wt, 11 foot (335 cm). It comes with an uploading reel seat which I replaced with a downloading seat. There are videos online which show you how to do it, It wasn't that difficult. I have been very pleased with it. And has worked very well with the Modular euro rigging.
My guess is that the question is about lough style not rivers. Greys are more than adequate for loughstyle. Spending more than greys is vanity.

The comments about composite cork on a greys handle are interesting as the quality of the cork on my greys rods is the one thing that lets them down and I suspect composite is a much more durable option.

Rob Edmunds

Orvis Recon is a great competition rod, especially in the 10ft #7 .....I got the Mrs a pair for her comps before she demanded Loomis.

Much better than Greys that are liable to break, and then stuff you on the warranty.......

I can't stand Greys rods.....( except the Platinum range X, XD or Comp special which were amazing rods) Greys snap for no reason at all when casting......especially with Di7s and 8s

Orvis every time..

sightbob

Sorry for Thread hijack
Hi Rob , Have you had a line through the Scierra yet?
John

Rob Edmunds

Short answer is NO.....but in a week I will give you a detailed write up.

I'm going to do a proper side by side comparison with my Loomis GLX-D next week on Brenig

4 days, all methods, variety of lines, various conditions etc .....

Do a proper test and proper write up, rather than just stick 1 line through it for half hour......let's see how it does in the real world .

cammy

Orvis Recon is a great competition rod, especially in the 10ft #7 .....I got the Mrs a pair for her comps before she demanded Loomis.

Much better than Greys that are liable to break, and then stuff you on the warranty.......

I can't stand Greys rods.....( except the Platinum range X, XD or Comp special which were amazing rods) Greys snap for no reason at all when casting......especially with Di7s and 8s

Orvis every time..
Platinum x #7 10', 10'6", 11'3" check.
Platinum xd #7 10' x3 check.
Platinum xd #8 10' x2 check.
Comp special #7 10'.
Probably too many.

original cormorant

Platinum x #7 10', 10'6", 11'3" check.
Platinum xd #7 10' x3 check.
Platinum xd #8 10' x2 check.
Comp special #7 10'.
Probably too many.
I'm satisfied with my xf2's - #7 9ft 6 comp spec and 10ft. Have replaced rings on the comp spec that I use for bank fishing. Soft cork on both is my only complaint. No breaks for me.

Just struck me Rob says he breaks greys rods and on another thread that he's never had a casting lessson. Are these two connected?:devilish::whistle:

Rob Edmunds

I also break Sage rods far too easily..

The only Greys rods I like is the Platinum range ( which were excellent)...the rest I've never been that impressed with.

I think rods should be abused ....I cast 2 x size 4 Hummungus's or snakes on fast sinkers as far as I can, often into head winds...some rod brands take more stick than others and last longer.....some just blow up.