Advice please on Wading Boots

devondabbler

I think I probably put this thread in the wrong section, so I've just copied and pasted it here!!!

I replaced my Vision Loika's a couple of months ago with a pair of Vision Sprinter Gummi's. I have probably used them on about 5 occasions, and I have the same issue as with the Loika's the soles are cracking and coming adrift!!!I have now had this issue with 2 pairs of Loika's and the Sprinters too. Needless to say, I am not going down the Vision route for my replacement pair of boots. I am a light user and would expect a decent pair of boots to last a couple of seasons.

I am taking these Sprinters back to my local tackle shop and they have offered me a replacement pair of wading boots - if I want to upgrade price-wise I can pay the difference.

OK the question is what do I go for - I would be limited to ordering a replacement pair of boots using a manufacturer that the shop deals with. I have a limited choice of Vision (probably steering clear of these now) Orvis / Snowbee / Redington or Greys.

Has anyone experience of the Orvis Pro's or the Orvis BOA Pivot Wading Boot's as I'm probably thinking of going down this route.

I have heard a couple of negative views regarding Snowbee Boots but I know the shop has some Snowbee Stream-Trek's in stock.

Any thought's / advice would be very much appreciated.

Paul

Mrtrout

You’ve heard a few negative ones on the Orvis as well Paul. :giggle: But if your man keeps replacing them I wouldn’t worry.
S.

Scotty90

I know it’s not what you are really after Paul but Simms headwaters are the best boots I’ve had (I’ve tried loads of them, g3 guides, Korkers, Patagonia etc). I’ve had mines for 4 seasons and this is the 5th, they have had a hammering and are still in really good nick. I use them 2/3 times a week on the club reservoirs that are boulder strewn and on the tweed. Just a suggestion and obviously you would have to go elsewhere but one to keep in mind mate.

devondabbler

Thanks Steven and Scott - Any advice is appreciated. I know that Crediton Fly Tackle don't stock Simms so I might have a problem with going down that route - but useful information for the future. Any boot that lasts over 4 seasons is well worth having!!
Steven, I have also kept a record of those canyoning boots as again they look great and might well be a future purchase. Regarding Orvis I have heard from a friend on this Forum that he is in his second season of 'Orvis Pro' Boots - hence me asking if any other members rate these?

Paul

tangled

Avoid Greys boots at all costs. I've had your same problem with them - twice. I bought SIMMS Headwaters with the second refund as I refused to take their offer of a third replacement. As above, I am very happy with them. Can't advise on other brands but if the boots are less than 12 month's old can you argue for a refund?

boisker

i’ve also been impressed with my orvis ultralights.... I’d always bought Simms boots, but nowhere had the Simms lightweight boots in stock and I wanted to try a lighter boot than the Simms g3’s I’d worn out...
good grip, give decent support, obviously very light.... very happy with them

wobbly face

I'm at present coming to the end of Vision Loikas (not as good as 2 other Vision boots I had), used summer only and after 2 seasons I've had to remove the toe protecting part on one boot, it wouldn't glue back and I tried several times. The uppers however are still good but not impressed with the grip, with studs. I've got some Hodgman Asics. My winter boots, heavy but bullet proof. Difficult for stealth as they do crunch a bit.
My mate uses Orvis, he also has some Guideline but I've never seen him wear them.
As for Snowbee, I wouldn't touch anything of theirs, stitching is cr@p, no proper QC on rods. :eek:

mrnotherone

Paul,
My Simms G3's that I bought heavily discounted have been excellent, but it looks like this might be their last season. I've had Orvis before that were very good too. The only boots I really regretted buying were Snowbee - that went for their waders too!

devondabbler

Thanks WF and Jon - Snowbee's definitely off the list then!!

It looks like I'll be probably going for Orvis then and hopefully they will last me more than a season!!
It's now a case of which of their boots.

Paul

teeser

Thanks WF and Jon - Snowbee's definitely off the list then!!

It looks like I'll be probably going for Orvis then and hopefully they will last me more than a season!!
It's now a case of which of their boots.

Paul
I'll go along with Scotty simms headwaters tough as and easy to get on and off great support. I've bought all sorts rather than cough up for a pair of simms but when this pair give up I'll get another pair

speytime

Simms make good boots but to heavy for me, Vision hoppers are feather light, I've had 2 maybe 3 seasons with only minor repairs, for light weight and a sturdy build the vision altas have been good boots but don't get as much wear as the visions.
Patigonia ultralight are super comfy but pretty heavy when they get wet.

For light weight, visions, for comfort, Patigonia, for build, simms or guideline.

Al