Advice

tjjm

good morning, I am thinking of getting a smaller rod say 7’1/2 ft
What weight should I get all my others are 9.5 10 ft 3 to5w , I fancy a shorter one for when on smaller streams.!
Also which make .
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pati

Hi

Get yourself a nice bamboo rod!!! 7’6’´ is a good compromise

4wt if you fish beats exposed to
3wt if no Wind (wading in a tree tunnel)
2wt or below if no wind and only small flied

Tangled

The weight of rod really depends on the weight of line you need and that depends on the size of fly you use and also the size of fish you are trying to catch. You can't easily cast heavy flies with very light rods and using very light rods for big fish is unfair on them.

But after that, here's a general guide:

#1-3 These weights are primarily for small fish - very small trout or, maybe, larger trout in very small streams.

#4 Best used on small/mid-sized streams and small lakes where longer casts aren't needed.

#5 The "all-round" trout fisherman's line weight. Covers virtually all trout-fishing situations an angler is likely to find. Works ok for smaller fish too, but it’s not as much fun catching small fish on a heavier fly rod. Will cast a lure too.

#6 Another good "all-around" weight for trout fishing. Overkill for tiny trout. Probably used mostly for bank fishing still waters.

#7 This used to be the all-rounder category back in the 80’s stocked reservoirs but less so now as rods have become lighter and more powerful. #7 weight fly lines are best used for larger, more powerful fish such as sea trout and salmon on single-handed rods. But they are useful for chucking bigger lures for stocked rainbows (and pike) too.

#8+ The fly line weights from #8 upward are designed for very powerful, large fish - pike, saltwater and salmon species in particular.

In stocked streams where the size of fish may be large compared to the size of the stream go a bit heavier.

tjjm

The weight of rod really depends on the weight of line you need and that depends on the size of fly you use and also the size of fish you are trying to catch. You can't easily cast heavy flies with very light rods and using very light rods for big fish is unfair on them.

But after that, here's a general guide:

#1-3 These weights are primarily for small fish - very small trout or, maybe, larger trout in very small streams.

#4 Best used on small/mid-sized streams and small lakes where longer casts aren't needed.

#5 The "all-round" trout fisherman's line weight. Covers virtually all trout-fishing situations an angler is likely to find. Works ok for smaller fish too, but it’s not as much fun catching small fish on a heavier fly rod. Will cast a lure too.

#6 Another good "all-around" weight for trout fishing. Overkill for tiny trout. Probably used mostly for bank fishing still waters.

#7 This used to be the all-rounder category back in the 80’s stocked reservoirs but less so now as rods have become lighter and more powerful. #7 weight fly lines are best used for larger, more powerful fish such as sea trout and salmon on single-handed rods. But they are useful for chucking bigger lures for stocked rainbows (and pike) too.

#8+ The fly line weights from #8 upward are designed for very powerful, large fish - pike, saltwater and salmon species in particular.

In stocked streams where the size of fish may be large compared to the size of the stream go a bit heavier.

Very good thanku

Rhithrogena

Thoroughly recommend Shakespeare Sigma Supra 7' #3.
Great action and cheap, so no biggie if it sits in the shed most of the year 👍

tjjm

Thoroughly recommend Shakespeare Sigma Supra 7' #3.
Great action and cheap, so no biggie if it sits in the shed most of the year

Is it soft or medium action.?!

JCP

In that flow at least a 5/6wt to be fair to the fish.Barbel are powerhouse fish.I have caught plenty on coarse gear and would not ''take a knife to a gunfight''.You might have to sacrifice some feel to conquer the quarry.Pal goes to Spain catching barbel on dries and compares them to bonefish.Have to draw your own conclusions from that.The barbel we have here locally in Dorset can be big fish and run of the mill around 4lbs.They pull like trains and invariably plenty of weed close by.Would not fancy it without some persuasion in the stick.

JP

Latest posts