African Tiger Fish

MobyJones

Have any members on here ever fished for African Tiger Fish? These are Hydrocynus vittatus and not the more famous Goliath Tiger Fish (Hydrocynus goliath) which you probably saw Jeremy Wade catch in an old episode of River Monsters.

I'm off to Namibia next year with friends and we have the opportunity to fish for these for two or three days. The PH organising the trip will supply bait or spinning rods but I thought they could well be fun on the fly.

Does anyone have any experience and tips for these fish?

Thanks in advance.

uptomyknee_s

I have had a couple of trips to Waterberry Lodge in Zambia since 2012 fishing for Tigerfish.
Absolutley brilliant fun. I used a spinning rod with small livebait. Caught the from the bank and from a boat. I was accompanied by a guide and his advice was invaluable. Safety first at all times where ever you find Tigerfish you will find crocodiles! Tigerfish have incredibly boney mouths and once hooked they go airborne and throw the hook quite easily. I descibed it as long distance C&R.

uptomyknee_s

I'm not any sort of an expert but I dont believe so. The ones that I encountered were in the 2 - 5kg range. The guide did say that they grow bigger. A 5kg Tigerfish will certainly give you a run for your money.
My rig was pretty simple, an 8ft spinning rod, a Shimano 4000 baitruner, 15lb mono, a 1oz weight and an 18inch wire trace with a single hook.

As an aside we were fishing below some reasonably liveley rapids when a couple of guys in a inflatable came drifting down. This was in November and blimey was it ever hot!! Neither guy had shirts on and they were bright lobster red. Both were fly fishing and really not paying much attention to there surroundings. My guide called out to them and they swifly manouvered towards the near shore. They were actually drifiting toward a pod of Hippo's.

MobyJones

I'm not any sort of an expert but I dont believe so. The ones that I encountered were in the 2 - 5kg range. The guide did say that they grow bigger. A 5kg Tigerfish will certainly give you a run for your money.
My rig was pretty simple, an 8ft spinning rod, a Shimano 4000 baitruner, 15lb mono, a 1oz weight and an 18inch wire trace with a single hook.

As an aside we were fishing below some reasonably liveley rapids when a couple of guys in a inflatable came drifting down. This was in November and blimey was it ever hot!! Neither guy had shirts on and they were bright lobster red. Both were fly fishing and really not paying much attention to there surroundings. My guide called out to them and they swifly manouvered towards the near shore. They were actually drifiting toward a pod of Hippo's.

This is why I love visiting Africa. You just never know what you're going to see and come across. I was in Namibia last year and we stumbled across a pair of cheetahs one day and then two male lions staring at us 100 yards away. I think I might have posted pictures on here.

I'm yet to see wild hippos though, so fingers crossed. :)

the plumber

I went to Zimbabwe in 2002 and we were supposed to be going in June this year to Botswana but we cancelled it to next year . it's fairly straightforward fly fishing for them what I can remember . Are used a 8wt rod fast sinking with a wire trace and short leader I do remember tying a lot of flies as the Tigers destroyed them . The information I was told is if you're going to fly fish you really need the month when the river is clear .Best of luck

uptomyknee_s

I would agree with the river being clear. November was the back end of the dry season the river was low but still deep and moving swiftly. The lodge I stayed at had a small pond that was teeming with silver baitfish. Before seting out on the river we would spend 20 minutes hooking the bait fish on size 18 hooks and breadflake. It did not take long to fill a bait kettle. The fishing was simple, it was a matter of casting just to the side of and eddies, or rough water. The takes were savage and as a I said earlier once hooked they are really acrobatic. You will have a great time whenever you get there. It will be worth the wait(y)