AFTM standards slipping away

Steven kermode

This is a bench mark we can not afford to lose! I was looking through a catalogue ,and I'm shocked ! Rio gold lines , one full size heavier ! For modern fast action rods!? So I want a #6 line for a #6 rod !? Do I choose a #5 or #6 ? If these lines are heavier , then its a #5! apparently some people use a size heavier if this is so! they can buy a size heavier ! The AFTM system has served us all well for 100 years or so! Why mess with it? A rod is measured for optimal load at the first 30 ft, or the wf head length simple ! This is just creating confusion! Is this what they want? Do they want to put us in a position of having to experiment till we find the right combination at our cost! Making us buy more? In the seventies , eighties there was WF&DT simple! it worked! Now we have saltwater taper, cold water, short wind taper, pike taper delicate presentation taper !!?? It goes on! Its a marketing ploy! To create over complexity & confusion & a feeling that you need a different line for every occasion! And NOW THEY'RE MESSING WITH ARE STANDARD MEASURES !! The AFTM which has served us so well!

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using Tapatalk

dutchy1978

This is a bench mark we can not afford to lose! I was looking through a catalogue ,and I'm shocked ! Rio gold lines , one full size heavier ! For modern fast action rods!? So I want a #6 line for a #6 rod !? Do I choose a #5 or #6 ? If these lines are heavier , then its a #5! apparently some people use a size heavier if this is so! they can buy a size heavier ! The AFTM system has served us all well for 100 years or so! Why mess with it? A rod is measured for optimal load at the first 30 ft, or the wf head length simple ! This is just creating confusion! Is this what they want? Do they want to put us in a position of having to experiment till we find the right combination at our cost! Making us buy more? In the seventies , eighties there was WF&DT simple! it worked! Now we have saltwater taper, cold water, short wind taper, pike taper delicate presentation taper !!?? It goes on! Its a marketing ploy! To create over complexity & confusion & a feeling that you need a different line for every occasion! And NOW THEY'RE MESSING WITH ARE STANDARD MEASURES !! The AFTM which has served us so well!

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using Tapatalk

Have you actually weighed the first thirty foot of a rio gold. I’m sorry to burst your bubble but the first thirty foot of a gold are within spec..
Can’t put a picture up, **** New Zealand coverage, but here is the link for the vife https://www.rioproducts.com/products/floating/rio-gold..

J

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:

JohnH

Agree, R. Is the damned thing three times - three hundred percent - better than a Barrio Mallard, or two hundred and fifty percent better than SKB's prime offering ?

I've owned 2 or 3 Rio lines, I like to think I have given them a fair trial, and I just don't get it.

dartmoor navigator

Given that the consensus seems to be that Rio Gold is overweight and overrated. If anyone feels that disgruntled that they want to sell a WF#7 then please drop me a pm because I’m after one.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

:behindsofa:

karlsson

Aftm died years ago.. AFFTA took over the standard and it is alive and well.
No, a rod is not measured with 30 feet or the head of a WF outside the tip. A rod isn't measured at all.
A line is measured at 30 feet.

Cheers
Lasse

Angus McLeod

Lasse beat me to it. I was just going to say that, while a line's rating has some measurable basis, a rod's has not. It is simply someone's opinion as to the weight of line which suits it best.
Cheers,
Angus

dutchy1978

People get so hung up on weight, hand over a rio lt and people say Its light touch and made for more medium rods. Rio gold for fast, whilst the actual way the weight is distributed within the complete head is actually more important. A wulff or lt might feel lighter through the air but the lt has a heavier complete head weight compared to the gold https://www.rioproducts.com/products/fly-line/trout-lt-wf. As for diversity be glad you can fine tune, a bog standard wf or dt is still easy enough to find. All companies give you most of the info you would need to make a informed decision.

The rods on the other hand they tend to get more complicated. But thats a entire new thread right there. Like lasse said Aftma is long gone, but do not despair Gouda cheese remains unaltered..

J

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

andygrey

Aftm died years ago.. AFFTA took over the standard and it is alive and well.
No, a rod is not measured with 30 feet or the head of a WF outside the tip. A rod isn't measured at all.
A line is measured at 30 feet.

Cheers
Lasse

I think AFTM and AFFTA 'Target' weights are the same?

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line

And given that argument, surely both ways of line rating are only an indicator as to the actual weight/rating of the line, not the way it will "handle" on a rod of similar rating.
Lasse will not be the first to admit some rods of "given" weight ratings will perform better with lines well outside the given rating, and similarilly,some lines of an actual weight rating will perform better on a rod outwith said rating.
Is, and always will be, "try it and see" for individual anglers.

regards
bert

ohanzee

If I think a line feels a bit heavy I pull a bit in...till its right, if its too heavy in the air and the rod is getting a bit sluggish just false cast with less of it and shoot more, in most fishing situations it goes further with less effort than hanging half a mile of line out back.

The gold is heavy, same 30' but the rest of the head makes it feel like you got a boot tied to the end, some seem to like that though.

tiggs

A year or so ago, I offered several 9ft 5wt rods to very experienced club members to guess the line weight of each. I covered over the manufacturers name and line weight on each rod. Each rod was tested separately with the same 5wt line.Their assessment varied between 4wt and 7 weight without knowing they were all 5wts. Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, I had also included an old softish 8wt boron rod.

This matched my own judgement and certainly shows how line weight and taper must be matched to the rod but also that the rod manufacturers weight recommendation is simply nothing other than a recommendation. An interesting side to this was that the most preferred 5wt rod had a medium/fast action, probably leaning towards the medium side. The 8wt fitted in perfectly and no-one picked it as an 8wt!

Owen

redietz

The AFTM system has served us all well for 100 years or so!

If that were true, I must be really old, since it wasn't around when I first started out. (It was developed in 1959, but didn't seem to come into common use until the mid-60's. My first two lines, purchased new in '63 and '66 respectively, were labeled HDH, not DT6).

FWIW Rio Gold isn't a full line weight heavy; Rio Grand is. (Gold is a "half-weight" line; heavier than the allowable tolerance for specified weight, but not heavy enough to put it into the next weight number.)

karlsson

Yes they are, AFTM(A) was a organisation American Fishing Tackle Manufacturers (Association) it died, as I already stated, and American Fly Fishing Tackle Association AFFTA has taken over the standards. The standards are volunteer for the AFFTA members, so anyone not member can do whatever, as is evident with Airflo and all the other "manufacturers" outside the AFFTA.

Cheers
Lasse

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Yes they are, AFTM(A) was a organisation American Fishing Tackle Manufacturers (Association) it died, as I already stated, and American Fly Fishing Tackle Association AFFTA has taken over the standards. The standards are volunteer for the AFFTA members, so anyone not member can do whatever, as is evident with Airflo and all the other "manufacturers" outside the AFFTA.

Cheers
Lasse

At the point of being pedantic Lasse, AFTM stands for the Association of Fishing Tackle Manufacturers. This is the standard used for all line and rod ratings sold here, and rest of europe. The addition of the A at the end is for the American version.

regards
bert

Last edited:

karlsson

At the point of being pedantic Lasse, AFTM stands for the Association of Fishing Tackle Manufacturers. This is the standard used for all line and rod ratings sold here, and rest of europe. The addition of the A at the end is for the American version.

regards
bert

Hi Bert

Be as pendantic as you want to be, but please get your facts straight :thumbs:
AFTM(A) doesnt exist anymore, and haven't done for more than a decade...

Cheerios
Lasse