Airflo Di 3 sinking lines alternatives

noel

As the title says I am considering buying a di 3 in wf7 , who makes a good alternative to the Sixth Sense lines at a sensible price Maxcatch do not have any wf7 .

sightbob

I'm trying out the Wychwood connect midzone instead of airflo
Between £25- £30. Saying that the old pure green di3 has been my go to line for years, Only going by reports on them not cast it yet.

speytime

The maxcatch 3ips is more like a inter sink rate, the 6ips is near the same sink rate as my green(3ips) airflo 6th sense.
The airflo is a better line but at £4\5 quid for the maxcatch it's a bargain, if you check the details you'll find there made 1wt heavy.

Al

Rob Edmunds

I know it's an Airflo Di 3 ( the old sixth sense version) ..but its £29....and the best sinker of it's type out there in my opinion.......should last you 4 or 5 years.

Maxcatch lines are a bargain though, and perform exceptionally well for the price

noel

I know it's an Airflo Di 3 ( the old sixth sense version) ..but its £29....and the best sinker of it's type out there in my opinion.......should last you 4 or 5 years.

Maxcatch lines are a bargain though, and perform exceptionally well for the price
Thanks Rob .

original cormorant

You may get thro' a Di3 in 4 or 5 years, I'd expect double that!

Rob Edmunds

Airflo sinkers set the "standard " in my opinion.....from slow intermediates down to the Di7- 8 comp special, they are the best without question .

I think you should only buy sinkers from one manufacturer ( whoever that may be) you then get a distinct range of lines to cover all depths....rather than a mis match

In my experience the faster the sinker ( whatever brand) the shorter its life expectancy

As regards Airflo. ..intermediates to Di 3 last me 5+ years

Di 5's last me 2 years

Di7s and 8's last me 1 season max

The more tungsten in the line ( to make it sink faster) and the less bonding material the weaker it becomes ....simple as that.

I abuse my lines, 3 or 4 times a week especially the sinkers from Di 3s to 8's these are my "Go To" lines for most of the season. .

original cormorant

I think you should only buy sinkers from one manufacturer ( whoever that may be) you then get a distinct range of lines to cover all depths....rather than a mis match

I abuse my lines, 3 or 4 times a week especially the sinkers from Di 3s to 8's these are my "Go To" lines for most of the season. .
Your sinking lines get a lot more use than mine and probably most others.

It's a really good point about sticking to one range of sinking lines

speytime

I've got the new version and I don't like the ridiculously stupid bright orange markers 🙄 not exactly stealthy, I'd buy a replacement in a minute if I thought I could get the right weight.
Does anyone know the weight of a 5/6 or 7/8wt?
Edit...
When I try to message the person in the link I keep getting diverted to nowhere?
How is that???

Last edited:

colliedog

Al, marker pen on the hang markers.

Don't know the head weights but as a rule of thumb 5/6 for a 6wt, 6/7 for a 7 weight etc works for me. Early on i bought 7/8s for my XP 10#7 and found they were on the heavy side. Work fine on my #8

taffy1

The maxcatch 3ips is more like a inter sink rate, the 6ips is near the same sink rate as my green(3ips) airflo 6th sense.
The airflo is a better line but at £4\5 quid for the maxcatch it's a bargain, if you check the details you'll find there made 1wt heavy.

Al
Line manufacturers & rod producers perhaps have different assessors to ascertain correct AFTM of the individual products. Who actually knows which line has been tested on which rod? Which casting style action would be copied by another individual?

speytime

Al, marker pen on the hang markers.

Don't know the head weights but as a rule of thumb 5/6 for a 6wt, 6/7 for a 7 weight etc works for me. Early on i bought 7/8s for my XP 10#7 and found they were on the heavy side. Work fine on my #8
I've just ordered a 5/6wt in the old version, I'll pass my mk2 6/7wt on to someone, or save it for a rainy day.

Thanks Al

willie_r

Airflo fishing on eBay have got WF7 di3 40+ Expert lines at £24.99 posted.
I've been using this line for a couple of years. It's excellent.
Virtually non-stretch core so you can feel every touch.

PaulD

Line manufacturers & rod producers perhaps have different assessors to ascertain correct AFTM of the individual products. Who actually knows which line has been tested on which rod? Which casting style action would be copied by another individual?
Lines are not 'tested' on rods. The AFTM scale is a clear, standard measurement of weight of the front 30ft of a line, minus the level tip - it's a fact that some Line producers do not conform to the standard.

Rod 'classification' is less standardised - basically, someone casts with the rod and announces it's a 5, 6 or 7wt, whatever. Whether a rod is functioning with 30ft of line outside the rod tip is not a reflection of 'casting style'.