Airflo Sightfree G3

aldot

What knots are you using for the above fluoro, I'm not getting on with it so far.
Interested in all knots, leader to line, dropper and leader to fly?

Scotty Mitchell

What knots are you using for the above fluoro, I'm not getting on with it so far.
Interested in all knots, leader to line, dropper and leader to fly?
Rivers - 0.13 & 0.14, tucked blood knot to fly, 2 turn water knot for droppers.
Lochs - 0.18 & 0.19 tucked blood to fly, 3 turn WN for droppers.
Used it for years without issue. Occasionally I use a Davy Knot to the fly on the river if I’m feeling tight fisted 😆

aldot

Thanks for reply
I've tried those, beginning to wonder if there's an issue with the spool :unsure:

Rob_N

I used G3 last season and had no issues (well lubricated 3 turn water knot for droppers, and tucked half blood for hooks). But I have seen recent reports of people using G3 in newer style packaging having issues with it breaking. Some suggestions that line may have the wrong labels on. Not sure if there’s any truth to it.

aldot

It breaks too easily. Ive used all sorts of nylon and flouro over the years and never had a problem. I was recommended g3 but not got as far as actually fishing it as the leaders break when I test them?

Scotty Mitchell

Must be an issue with the “new” stuff then. I wonder what’s changed. As a precaution I’ll switch to my second preference, and add another product to the list of “anything but Airflo”.
Thanks for posting this as I was literally just about to order some of the new label, thinking the actual fluorocarbon would be the same.
I’m not risking it now 👍

aldot

Does it break at the knot or elsewhere?

Cheers,
Sebastian
mainly at the knots but has happened elsewhere so I'm a bit suspicious

I'm going to have another try tomorrow. I've been fishing for 40yrs and never experienced anything like this, normally I don't have a problem with knots but then again I've never used Fluoro before.

I've been taking my time, wetting it etc but snaps quite easily?

Scotty Mitchell

I'm going to have another try tomorrow. I've been fishing for 40yrs and never experienced anything like this, normally I don't have a problem with knots but then again I've never used Fluoro before.

You are correct to be suspicious if this is your first Flourocarbon experience. It sounds like bad material or a bad spool, it should be just as strong as your usual nylon, if your knots are up to scratch and it sounds like you very much know your onions, don’t let it put you off the material altogether.
Can you return it?

baca157

Sounds a bit suspicious. I have been using G3 for years and find it very reliable. It shouldn’t snap.

I just ordered some myself from the new batch. 0.16mm which has been out of stock for a while so will report back when it arrives.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Paul_B

I use it in preference to most other tippets and use a 5 turn water knot below 7lb and a 4 above. As you know wet it before tightening.

aldot

Its 7lb bs, it was a 2 for 1 offer as recommended by someone. I've been fishing 6lb maxima for the last week and have had no problems with super fit fish 4lb+.

Side by side, the 6lb maxima is way stronger and takes quite a bit to break.

There's no way I'm putting this on for now but will give it one more try and do some trials tmrw, if I'm not satisfied I'm going to send it back.