Airflo Sightfree G3

codyarrow

I never had memory issues with G3 Paul.
I hated the stuff when I used it. Mentioned it before, but seem to be on my own on that score.

Used to use Grand max, but could not find any in the right size last week. The Seagaur Red label looks a good bet.
Never understood the cost factor - 15 feet of the expensive stuff works out at 50p. Why would you not use the best on your £750 fly rod, £100 line, £200 reel as you power along with your £600 outboard staying dry in your £250 wading jacket. :whistle:

aldot

Once they come back into stock they're going to send me two more spools to replace the two dodgy ones so will see how that goes. I was recommended G3 by a very experienced fished so hopefully all will be well.

Scotty Mitchell

Once they come back into stock they're going to send me two more spools to replace the two dodgy ones so will see how that goes. I was recommended G3 by a very experienced fished so hopefully all will be well.
Sorry, but I think that’s a bad move.
Why take a gamble on it, the chances are you will get the same issue.
I’d have went for a refund or another brand.

aldot

Sorry, but I think that’s a bad move.
Why take a gamble on it, the chances are you will get the same issue.
I’d have went for a refund or another brand.
I'd did ponder but I'm going to take the chance as my fishing buddy swears by it. It can always go back if not good.
Meanwhile I've ordered some Seagaur red, I use Seagaur for salmon and like it to will see how it goes.
Either way I'll not be using the company again as I think they knew the spools were dud.

It might be back to good old maxima if it doesn't work out lol

bobmiddlepoint

This is going back four years or so.
One of my regulars turned up with some G3 and I made all the usual noises about fluoro being a pie of pants and it would let him down and snap like rotten cotton at the slightest excuse. At some point in the day he hooked the bottom of the boat and I said "that's yer fly gone then" and pulled the line fully expecting it t go ping - I nearly cut me fingers off! It was incredibly strong and shockproof, normally a sharp yank will snap fluoro. I was so impressed I nearly bought some!

The next year he was back with the same spool (which hadn't been left on the dashboard for a year!) and it had gone weak. You could snap it in your hand no bother. How does that happen? It's supposed to be almost indestructible and not degrade when washing about in the sea for years?

Andy

codyarrow

The next year he was back with the same spool (which hadn't been left on the dashboard for a year!) and it had gone weak. You could snap it in your hand no bother. How does that happen? It's supposed to be almost indestructible and not degrade when washing about in the sea for years?

Andy
There is flurocarbon and flurocarbon 'coated'. I avoid that stuff, as it tends to be thicker and would maybe weaken like mono (or whatever the non binary word for that is).
I think there is a place for it in your tackle box. In the deep peaty lochs I doubt it makes a difference, but in the richer lochs getting the line slightly deeper and under the surface can be significant. Becoming more convinced, maybe the Barron book pushed me over the edge, that wets are better on hen hackles to get under the surface quicker, and flurocarbon helps this.

Having said that if I was providing 'sir' with free leader he would be advised as to the virtues of a slightly cheaper chinese mxaimia brand all day long. (y)

Rob_N

Have a shot of the Seagaur Red Label Rob....good stuff.
Thanks Scotty and Jimmy. Both look good options. The Red label looks amazing value if you buy in the 1000 yard spools (works out about £4 per 100 metres if my maths is correct), and would probably last me for life. But I read stuff about fluro loosing strength after a year or so. Difficult to choose between them. But I think I’m going to try the Rio. I’ve used Rio co-polymer and never had a breakage. The Fluro is a different line, but that’s my (probably flawed) logic.

baca157

Quick update folks.

Just got my two brand new spools of G3 Fluoro, 5lb 0.16 mm. Tested both spools and both are as strong as the old stuff was. Spools are much improved now as they interlock together and there is a thin silicone (?) band around the spool stopping the tippet to unravel (my pet hate).

Same product with improved spools.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Scotty Mitchell

Quick update folks.

Just got my two brand new spools of G3 Fluoro, 5lb 0.16 mm. Tested both spools and both are as strong as the old stuff was. Spools are much improved now as they interlock together and there is a thin silicone (?) band around the spool stopping the tippet to unravel (my pet hate).

Cheers,
Sebastian
Where did you buy yours from Sebastian?

aldot

My seagaur spool arrived today, the difference is night and day to the G3, there's novway I can break it comfortably in my hand. Looking forward to using it tonight

Wee Jimmy

Which breaking strains did you decide on Alan...? Ive been using the 6 and 8lb for pulling work for the past few seasons.No issues with either of them so far...😉

Black sheep

Quick update folks.

Cheers,
Sebastian
Where was that from??

Wee Jimmy

Y

Yes its grand max, it has a red label or is there another lol. Either way it done me well I had a couple of overwintered fish on it last night.
Aye the stuff I use is actually called Seagaur Red Label .It does have a red label and it only costs around £14 for 200 yards . Seagaur also manufacture Grand Max which is not only more expensive but unfortunately, also has a red label.Anyone might think they are trying to confuse us.