Airflo Sightfree G3

Cap'n Fishy

Seagaur also manufacture Grand Max which is not only more expensive but unfortunately, also has a red label.Anyone might think they are trying to confuse us.

Brilliant! :rolleyes: What were they thinking? Grand Max used to have a gold label on it...

Webp.net-resizeimage-71.jpg

"I say chaps, now we have brought out a fluorocarbon specifically called 'Red Label', what say we change the label on the Grand Max to a red one?" "Ha-ha, what a wizard wheeze that would be! Let's do it"

OK, and while we are about it, let's change the name from riverge to Seaguar to make it even more confusing...

61H8zOKtiiL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Marvelous!

Cap'n Fishy

Y

Yes its grand max, it has a red label or is there another lol. Either way it done me well I had a couple of overwintered fish on it last night.

Just be aware that these lines have different degrees of pre-stretching to them to put them into the 'double-strength' category of lines. The slow dead-weight breaking strain is higher for the pre-stretched lines, diameter by diameter, but at the cost of them being more brittle when it comes to sudden shock - such as will happen if you get a 2's-up or a so-called 'smash-take'. Looking at the quoted figures, Airflo G3 is in between Grand Max and Red Label. (Bear in mind that if you take a precision micrometer to them, you quickly find that almost none of the quoted figures are accurate!)

It's best to use them going by the diameter, rather than the quoted breaking strain (so really, you need a good micrometer to be sure of what that is)

Seaguar Red Label 6 lb = 0.205 mm

Airflo G3 7 lb = 0.19 mm

Seaguar Grand Max 7.5 lb = 0.185 mm

So, you need to avoid any nasty shocks when using Grand Max.

Col

Last edited:

Wee Jimmy

I never take the quoted figures as gospel,I prefer to mic them myself.The Red Label 6lb is spot on as stated but the 8lb mics out at 0.250mm rather than the stated 0.235mm.

Rob_N

Just be aware that these lines have different degrees of pre-stretching to them to put them into the 'double-strength' category of lines. The slow dead-weight breaking strain is higher for the pre-stretched lines, diameter by diameter, but at the cost of them being more brittle when it comes to sudden shock - such as will happen if you get a 2's-up or a so-called 'smash-take'. Looking at the quoted figures, Airflo G3 is in between Grand Max and Red Label. (Bear in mind that if you take a precision micrometer to them, you quickly find that almost none of the quoted figures are accurate!)

It's best to use them going by the diameter, rather than the quoted breaking strain (so really, you need a good micrometer to be sure of what that is)

Seaguar Red Label 6 lb = 0.205 mm

Airflo G3 7 lb = 0.19 mm

Seaguar Grand Max 7.5 lb = 0.185 mm

So, you need to avoid any nasty shocks when using Grand Max.

Col
What Col said about Grand Max is consistent with my experience from last season. I had 9.5lb line breakages which I think were due to 2 fish on at once (nymphs). I put it down to there being more fish about (Grafham stocked fish during the lockdown last year, so when it opened there were lots of fish and they went like trains = more 2 fish hook ups that broke me). I decided to try stronger Grandmax, bought a spool but then lost it somewhere - got annoyed, and decided to try G3 as it was less than half the price. Using 10lb G3 solved the problem, and didn’t affect catch rates so I stuck with it and didn’t get round to trying stronger Grandmax. But I hadn’t realised Grandmax was known for being susceptible to 2 ups / smash takes.

aldot

So far I'm impressed with the 7.5lb grand max. I am only fishing single #16 drys but for powerful fish.
I can only just get the leader through the eye of the hook but no problems so far.
Tmrw I take delivery of tthe replacement 7lb G3 and Rio Powerflex 6.4lb and 8.2lb so have plenty to compare for now.

colliedog

Was a bit concerned having recently stocked up on 4 spools of G3 from Gary Evans. 1 x 6lbs, 1 x 7lbs and 2 x 8lb. I have now tested them all and am happy with the results so far, despite the sore hands. I'll keep a close lookout for problems when I start using regularly in a few weeks.

Paul_B

Was a bit concerned having recently stocked up on 4 spools of G3 from Gary Evans. 1 x 6lbs, 1 x 7lbs and 2 x 8lb. I have now tested them all and am happy with the results so far, despite the sore hands. I'll keep a close lookout for problems when I start using regularly in a few weeks.

I haven't had a problem with my G3 from them, and I've caught some hard fighting fish :)

rabmax

Have a shot of the Seagaur Red Label Rob....good stuff.
Red Label is a softer flourocarbon in 0.16mm than g3.Bought g3 a while back & it's like stiff cheese wire.Red label is very good.Shame they don't make it in a lower diameter than 4lb.

Cap'n Fishy

Red Label is a softer flourocarbon in 0.16mm than g3.Bought g3 a while back & it's like stiff cheese wire.Red label is very good.Shame they don't make it in a lower diameter than 4lb.

I like the stiffness of G3 - you can fish a team of 3 wets in a big blow without getting tangles. 😜

Elwyman

I've used G3 for quite a few years now and have never had a problem with it, unlike some off the early fluorocarbon products that hit the market years ago. I'm still using G3 on the old label, so can't comment on recent issues.....I assume it is probably a bad batch, which wasn't detected in the factory.

I agree with Cap about the stiffness of G3, ideal for fishing droppers.

Elwyman

I started to use Seaguar Ace Hard for sea trout fishing last season, mainly to get some benefit from it sinking faster than Maxima. From a knotting point of view it is excellent, and its diameter is finer than G3, lb for lb. Stiffer than G3, I'd say.

aldot

The replacement G3 arrived today, difference is night and day, its unbreakable by hand.

Only problem is they've replaced it with the wrong breaking strain!!

I. .give. .up

Latest posts