Airflo Sightfree G3

aldot

I've ended up with 2 x g3, 2 x rio powerflex and a seagaur red label.

It'll no go wrong 🤪

Tying up some #18 rainbow parachutes so just checking they all go through the eye before I tie a batch

sage5

I bought 200yds of this 8lb, .235mm, Seaguar from Amazon (£14.78) and used it for the first time on Wednesday, and I really liked it. Not too 'soft', not too rigid and knots really well.

I ordered it on the 21st March and it was delivered on the 29th - having come from the US.
I ordered the exact same , came yesterday. same as you describe

skyeman1

Have used Froghair Fluoro 0X to 5X for years, uniknots, figure or eight loops and more. Landed trout and salmon from Highlands to NZ. Great confidence built on experience. Could perhaps have been as good with another brand, but it's what I know.
Ran out of 4X and switched to Sightfree G3, found knot strength very unpredictable. Uniknot to fly, tested, fine. Change fly, tested, snapped easily. Repeated a few times and repeated the variability. Can't take this risk, Frog Hair ordered and hopefully confidence restored.

Scotty Mitchell

I’ve fished a few sessions now nymphing with the new G3 in 3lb and found it to be absolutely fine. 6 turn blood to fly, 2 turn water knot droppers. This means lots of terminal snags and lots of minor hang ups that soon root out weak spots.
The spool of 6 I got also seems fine but I’ve only used it twice and fishing single fly, but my confidence is there with it just as it was with the old stuff.

Dean

I ordered the 3lb, 6lb and 7lb and found it to be absolutely terrible. I tried a bunch of different knots and got snapped constantly - the only inconsistent thing was where I got snapped. Sometimes it was at the dropper and others it was the full leader. I have zero confidence in it and the fact that I have had the issue with all three spools makes me think it isn't just a dud spool. I have ended up switching back to nylon and I have had zero issues since. The Sightfree G3 is the only tippet i've had this sort of issue with.

rabmax

I liked the g3 platinum but think they stopped making it.Bought some standard g3 & hated it.It's as stiff as cheese wire.I now just use konger steelon for everything on rivers.(Great stuff)

colliedog

I posted on another thread that I had tested new label G3 in 6lbs and 8lbs against the remainder of old spools I have. It failed miserably in comparison. It's a pity as I have had many years of complete dependability from it.

Like others I am going down the Seagaur route as I have been using Ace Hard for salmon fishing for about 20years with no issues at all.

Cap'n Fishy

The new G3 seems very hit-miss. I am tempted to buy a spool just to compare with the old stuff! 😜

I was queuing for our boat at Menteith on Monday, and the guy in front of me was buying 4 spools of the new G3 from Douglas. I didn't know whether to say anything to him... :unsure:

baca157

I have been using the new stuff for a while now and not had any issues so far. The only thing I would say is that it seems to be a tiny bit stiffer than the old stuff. Maybe that makes it more brittle?

Saying that, I have always been very careful when tying knots on fluorocarbon. It seems to be less forgiving than nylon so I tighten them very slowly and well moistened.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Cap'n Fishy

I have been using the new stuff for a while now and not had any issues so far. The only thing I would say is that it seems to be a tiny bit stiffer than the old stuff. Maybe that makes it more brittle?

Saying that, I have always been very careful when tying knots on fluorocarbon. It seems to be less forgiving than nylon so I tighten them very slowly and well moistened.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Yep - I suspect that the reason a lot of folk declare fluorocarbon to be unfit for purpose is because of knotting issues. If the entire material was unfit for purpose, why would 1000s of us have used it without problems for the past 30 years? :unsure:

Having said that, there is no doubt that it is more prone to a rip-off when you get a twos-up than standard nylon. But then low diameter nylon suffers the same with twos-ups. Pays yer money and takes yer choice... 😜

baca157

Yep - I suspect that the reason a lot of folk declare fluorocarbon to be unfit for purpose is because of knotting issues. If the entire material was unfit for purpose, why would 1000s of us have used it without problems for the past 30 years? :unsure:

Having said that, there is no doubt that it is more prone to a rip-off when you get a twos-up than standard nylon. But then low diameter nylon suffers the same with twos-ups. Pays yer money and takes yer choice... 😜
Also, I suspect that not all fluorocarbon lines are the same. Is it possible that some are softer than other and therefore much more forgiving with badly tied knots?

I always liked G3 because it felt stiffer than other lines I tried, but then again I didn’t try many.

Cheers,
Sebastian

colliedog

I agree with that Colin, have been using fluoro for over 20years and Sightfree since when it was being ddistributed under the Shakespeare brand with no reliability issues. However when I take 4 spools of 3 different breaking strains and repeatedly demonstrate that the same knots are significantly weaker than with the stuff I already have, I know it's the material not the user.

The only other mono I can recall being as bad was Akashi Take. Nuff said.

aldot

I've settled on my old favourite Rio Powerflex 6.4lb. Never let's me down. Now on my second spool and have had a large number of hard fighting overwintered rainbows and browns on it and it's not let me down yet. The only loss was a Iost fish due to the fly coming off and was left with a pig tail so my fault which is very annoying but the leader has performed excellently. I liked the Seagur Red but sticking to Rio from now on.