Airflo Sightfree G3

aldot

The two spools that were sent to me as a replacement for the faulty ones were the 8lbG3 as shown above! I've not used it yet but after reading that I'm not taking any chances now and will bin it.

I'm still using 6.4lb Rio Powerflex and have caught more than a hundred overwintered powerful fish mostly over 4lb this year and not had a single breakage so will be sticking to that going forward.

I don't do competition fishing so not worried about losses, but I'd be really annoyed leaving a fish with a hook and trailing nylon in its mouth, something I pride myself in rarely doing.

Scotty Mitchell

I’m still using 3lb and 6lb of the new batch without issue, I’m getting through the spools too using up plenty.
The 3 nymphs on the Tay, and a recent session on Loch Damph saw me fishing a sinking line and lure in amongst Skerries on the 6, catching very decent trout that went haywire among said skerries and again had no issues.
I’m very confident in these spools, but now not so sure if I’ll buy more
🤔

Cap'n Fishy

I managed to get my hands on a spool of the 'new label' 8 lb - the one getting all the complaints. Following Airflo's declaration that it was mislabelled, I wondered if it was thinner stuff and hence why it was breaking more easily.

So, I put a micrometer on it and on my spool of old label 8 lb.

Results:

Old label = 0.226 mm

New label = 0.235 mm

So, the new label is actually thicker than the old label!

Next, I took a yard of each and put a 3 turn loop in both ends. I put one loop over a pencil and put it under my foot. I put the other loop in the hook of my Salter spring balance and gradually pulled for a break.

Results:

New label = broke around 4 lb

Old Label = broke at over 6 lb

It beats me how Airflo consider this issue is one of 'mislabelling'??? :unsure:

Col

baca157

I managed to get my hands on a spool of the 'new label' 8 lb - the one getting all the complaints. Following Airflo's declaration that it was mislabelled, I wondered if it was thinner stuff and hence why it was breaking more easily.

So, I put a micrometer on it and on my spool of old label 8 lb.

Results:

Old label = 0.226 mm

New label = 0.235 mm

So, the new label is actually thicker than the old label!

Next, I took a yard of each and put a 3 turn loop in both ends. I put one loop over a pencil and put it under my foot. I put the other loop in the hook of my Salter spring balance and gradually pulled for a break.

Results:

New label = broke around 4 lb

Old Label = broke at over 6 lb

It beats me how Airflo consider this issue is one of 'mislabelling'??? :unsure:

Col
Old label should have been labelled 6lb and the new one 4lb? :ROFLMAO:

I have been using 5lb (0.16mm) new label G3 since March. I almost finished my first 100m spool and had no issues whatsoever. Strength wise it‘s the same as old stuff. It seems to be slightly stiffer and therefore more brittle, so have to be careful when tightening knots but I actually like that stiffness.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Cap'n Fishy

Old label should have been labelled 6lb and the new one 4lb? :ROFLMAO:

Need to allow for my knots reducing the breaking strain.

It's obviously been a bad batch. The only thing I can think would qualify as mislabelling is if they mean that instead of labelling it "Airflo G3 8 lb", it should have been labelled "Bad batch of fluoro. Do not buy this!" 🥴

Col

colliedog

I knew from handling the stuff it wasnt a case of mislabelling. Unless they have gone from a low diameter to standard diameter material 🙄 Just bad quality. They do themselves no favours.

I'm not going to be trusting it again any time soon, given the performance of the alternatives I am trialling.

I still have 4 spools kicking about not interested in a replacement will need to try for a refund.

Cap'n Fishy

The new spool 10lb bs has been fine for me so far if you ever need to go that strong (y)

It could be as simple as one bad batch of the 8 lb stuff? (Can't remember if anyone has had an issue with other b.s. ???) Airflo could have come in at the first inklings and issued a recall notice and they would have come out of it a lot better than they now have... 😗

Col

baca157

Need to allow for my knots reducing the breaking strain.

It's obviously been a bad batch. The only thing I can think would qualify as mislabelling is if they mean that instead of labelling it "Airflo G3 8 lb", it should have been labelled "Bad batch of fluoro. Do not buy this!" 🥴

Col
Forgot about the knots Col!

Bad batch can happen but Airflo should have recalled the whole lot, and advise all retailers to get in touch with their customers who bought the dud stuff.

It’s a real shame as G3 was really good until that point and now quite a lot of people will switch to other brands. I’ll stick to what I have for now but will definitely shop around next time.

Cheers,
Sebastian

colliedog

It could be as simple as one bad batch of the 8 lb stuff? (Can't remember if anyone has had an issue with other b.s. ???) Airflo could have come in at the first inklings and issued a recall notice and they would have come out of it a lot better than they now have... 😗

Col
I have spools of 6, 7 & 8lbs that all failed like for like against the old stuff.

Dean

On Wednesday one of the guys fishing was complaining about his line breaking (three times and all at different points) - he brought it into us in the cabin and it was G3 8lb. It clearly isn't just a bad batch but just a severely flawed product at this point.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
On Wednesday one of the guys fishing was complaining about his line breaking (three times and all at different points) - he brought it into us in the cabin and it was G3 8lb. It clearly isn't just a bad batch but just a severely flawed product at this point.
Is it possible the "mislabelled" stuff is from a different (read cheaper) supplier?

Cap'n Fishy

I sent the measurements I made in post #103 to Airflo and received this reply...

Hi Colin,
Thank you for your email.
I am sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced with the G3 Flurocarbon, I also appreciate the effort and time you have put in to measure the diameter with a micrometer and report back to us with your results.
This is over and above what we would expect our customers to do and is appreciated.
A Couple of months ago we had a batch of G3 Flurocarbon go out which was substandard however we were not aware of this until after the spools had been despatched.
Once were were made aware of the issue we put a re-call on the spools however lots of stores including us direct had already sold Spools to customers.
As you can imagine once they have been sold its very difficult to get every spool back, almost impossible if i'm being totally honest with you.
The issues with this batch have now been resolved and the current batch of G3 is back to its reliable self.
You appear to be one of the customers who purchased some spools from the faulty batch, if you can return the spools to us along with a covering letter which includes your Full Name, address and contact number I shall replace the spools for you.
Kind Regards,

Dean

'couple of months' and 'totally honest with you'...

I ordered mine in December. It looks from the views on the thread though that they have lost a fair few customers to Seaguar. I just switched back to mono, it was my first and only jaunt into fluro.

aenoon

I sent the measurements I made in post #103 to Airflo and received this reply...

Hi Colin,
Thank you for your email.
I am sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced with the G3 Flurocarbon, I also appreciate the effort and time you have put in to measure the diameter with a micrometer and report back to us with your results.
This is over and above what we would expect our customers to do and is appreciated.
A Couple of months ago we had a batch of G3 Flurocarbon go out which was substandard however we were not aware of this until after the spools had been despatched.
Once were were made aware of the issue we put a re-call on the spools however lots of stores including us direct had already sold Spools to customers.
As you can imagine once they have been sold its very difficult to get every spool back, almost impossible if i'm being totally honest with you.
The issues with this batch have now been resolved and the current batch of G3 is back to its reliable self.
You appear to be one of the customers who purchased some spools from the faulty batch, if you can return the spools to us along with a covering letter which includes your Full Name, address and contact number I shall replace the spools for you.
Kind Regards,
Is that guy whom replied, suggesting you are a bit of an "anorak"?
Reply does not actually fit with the threads complaints though.
Seems issue is over a variety of breaking strains (diameters) over a longer period of time than a couple of months ago.
I am still of the "cheaper supplier" thought.

Cap'n Fishy

Is that guy whom replied, suggesting you are a bit of an "anorak"?

I think it is what is called 'being polite'. ;)

At least I made a ****ing effort! :rolleyes:

Reply does not actually fit with the threads complaints though.

I didn't give them the whole thread, just the gist of the measurements I did, and the fact they had suggested the batch had been 'mislabelled', which they did not respond to.

Why don't you write to them?

aenoon

I think it is what is called 'being polite'. ;)

At least I made a ****ing effort! :rolleyes:

I didn't give them the whole thread, just the gist of the measurements I did, and the fact they had suggested the batch had been 'mislabelled', which they did not respond to.

Why don't you write to them?
Not getting at you Colin!
Just seems the reply was a bit off!
Dont use G3, so nope, will not be writing to them.