Airflo Sixth Sense, Sixth Sense Competitor, Fourty+ or Fourty+ Extreme for stillwater?

larsronning

Hi all,

I am about to buy a bunch of lines for stillwater fishing but am unsure what to buy when it comes to sinking lines from Intermediate to di7/8...
Airflo have got quite a few different ones, from Sixth Sense, Sixth Sense Competitor, Fourty+ to Fourty+ Extreme.

I will be fishing from boat as well as from the bank, so would like to be able to cover as much ground as possible with a minimum of false casts. I.e. delicate presentation is less of an issue. I am using a stripping basket and able to shoot a lot of line.

What are your experiences with Airflo's four stillwater line variants?

(For floating, I am going with Airflo Superflo Stillwater lines).

Thanks,
Lars

colliedog

Hi Lars, you are probably aware of the main difference between the Sixth Sense and Forty+ lines..... The Sixth Sense lines are full sinkers whilst the Forty+ is a sinking head attached to a running line. Therefore they have different characteristics. Most of my sinking line work is from a drifting boat and the sixth sense is my preference as it fishes deeper and controls better. Off the bank the Forty+ is great for distance and the floating running line is easier to control. That said with a line tray i am happy to use sixth sense lines of the bank. If subtly and presentation is a consideration, sixth sense has the edge. The Forty+ performs better into a wind.

Both are good lines and the margins are small, depending on what works for you best.
John

larsronning

Hi John (Colliedog),

Ah that's great info. For some reason I had missed the fact that the Fourty+ are floating running line plus sinking heads.

With regard to the Sixth Sense lines, have you also tried the Sixth Sense Competitor lines with dual density? I.e. DI3/5, 5/7, 7/8? Seems like a good idea at least on paper?

Thanks,
Lars

colliedog

Hi John (Colliedog),

Ah that's great info. For some reason I had missed the fact that the Fourty+ are floating running line plus sinking heads.

With regard to the Sixth Sense lines, have you also tried the Sixth Sense Competitor lines with dual density? I.e. DI3/5, 5/7, 7/8? Seems like a good idea at least on paper?

Thanks,
Lars
Sorry Lars, not tried the competitor lines.

speytime

I like the 6th sense lines but found the 40+ too heavy at 16g for a 7wt.
Fwiw when I'm buying airflo sinkers now I'll be taking a set of scales with me to the shop.
I've had my share of overweight lines from airflo but Imo there still the best sink lines.

Al

Last edited:

larsronning

I like the 6th sense lines but found the 40+ too heavy at 16g for a 7wt.
Fwiw when I'm buying airflo sinkers now I'll be taking a set of scales with me to the shop.
I've had my share of overweight lines from airflo but Imo there still the best sink lines.

Al
Good advice - thank you!

golden graham

Hi - Rutland Water, maybe Chew Valley, in early April.
Plus various lakes in Denmark.

Thanks!
Lars
Hi
In early April for boat fishing you will need a Di7, 5, 3 and fast inter in full lines (6th sense)
Yes you could also buy all those lines in 40+

For bank fishing a full floater, a fast inter 40+ and a slow tip full line are all that are required.

In 99% of situations those lines will get your flies to the fish.

I hope that helps. :)

larsronning

Hi
In early April for boat fishing you will need a Di7, 5, 3 and fast inter in full lines (6th sense)
Yes you could also buy all those lines in 40+

For bank fishing a full floater, a fast inter 40+ and a slow tip full line are all that are required.

In 99% of situations those lines will get your flies to the fish.

I hope that helps. :)
Fantastic! Looks like those are the exact lines I am going to get (some I have already). Thank you.

Lars