Airflo Superflo stillwater lines

mooseman

Was thinking of getting a WF7 in this line but read a review/ comments which stated that the lines started showing memory after a few outings use. Having been conned by Airflo so many times with their floating lines I would like an update from those who have used them over a period of time. Many thanks.

roger h 10

I've got two, they were great at first but soon developed the Airflo Memory. I have found that the Hardy Horizon lines are excellent and pretty much memory free.

parrot

Much the same as above. Excellent at first but reverted to Airflo type after four months. I found them particularly bad when the temperature dropped.

I have reverted back to Snowbee floaters although I am also impressed with a Maxcatch Gold I just started to use before the lockdown.

BobP

I've got a Superdri that is about 5 years old. I can leave it on the reel for months and it pulls off as straight as any of my other floating lines and better than one or two, including a Rio.

I don't understand why Airflo had to mess around and try to"improve" an already good line.

mooseman

Thanks for your comments it sounds as though Airflo have done it again, over the top advertising for a product that doesn't live up to the hype at a premium price.
I personally can't see how a non stretch core coupled with a coating that stretches can be memory free as one is working against the other?
Will have a look at the maxcach gold line sounds interesting. Thanks again.

7x57

I have a 7 weight line and as before mentioned it does coil but only in cooler temperatures. The thin running line is more of a pain as it forever gets tangled, especially if you are figure of eighting.

The other thing is the tip soon starts to sink, which is another problem I've found with airflo lines. The superflo does cast really well though when they are new!!! Shame as so nearly there!! Will persevere as spent the money!

speytime

You can't go wrong with a maxcatch gold, supple and smooth at a ridiculous price.
Unless I want a specific profile it'll be maxcatch golds from here on in.

Al

roger h 10

I think the Horizon lines are made by Airflo so it’s interesting that you‘ve found they have different “memory” properties. I wonder why that is?
I had an idea that the Hardy lines are made by Airflo as are the Guideline 4 cast. The 4 cast suffers from memory problems but the Hardy doesn't.
All rather strange!!

roger h 10

I have a 7 weight line and as before mentioned it does coil but only in cooler temperatures. The thin running line is more of a pain as it forever gets tangled, especially if you are figure of eighting.

The other thing is the tip soon starts to sink, which is another problem I've found with airflo lines. The superflo does cast really well though when they are new!!! Shame as so nearly there!! Will persevere as spent the money!
Exactly what I've found!