Airguns?

davefish

Went long netting a few nights with some gypsies who were passing through. Guess I was 12-13. Loved it. Couldn't wait to meet them again. They were the first outsiders who were just like us. They were real, turned up on time. Over the three days we got 30-40 rabbits and 20+ hares.

I still rem their faces. Tough blokes but kind to us. Their field craft was exceptional. Happy days. Learnt a lot. If you want to see something unreal, check out how they work dogs ;).

C.

Paul_B

The dunces hat was my choice, easy and very effective :)

The trouble nowadays is that pheasants aren't wild, someone has put a lot of time, money and work into rearing them.
I don't mind knocking rabbits down and the farmer is glad of the assistance, but he wouldn't take too kindly if I was to start pinching his pheasant.

4wings

I used to shoot field target with a local club and the accuracy that many obtained was amazing.
We had a 60 yard + Zeroing range where we set up scopes, the rifles were tuned for consistency rather than full power using a pellet that suited our particular guns.
Our party trick was to put up a plain card (40yds.) with smears of jam on then shoot the flies that landed on it.
One person shot another spotted, if you missed there was just a hole, when you hit there was a purple edge to the hole (calibre .177) we rarely missed. One chap got upset he had put out little flags of polythene zeroed his gun and went home. We looked at them and the twigs they were mounted on then commenced to shoot the flag twigs, easy!
I used either my Daystate Huntsman or My Air Arms TX 200, the TX200 needed more skill and was to me
more satisfying I still have it now along with some target style air pistols.
*Polo mints, 5 pellets through at 40 yards, inside of the polo mint marked with lead, a miss just broke it up. preferred sweeties to shoot out to 55yds, Sherbert lemons and Sweet Hearts :)

Last edited:

easker1

I was lucky enough to go to a school that had a small bore rifle team, shooting small bore was a weekly lesson for us, we had indoor and out door ranges,so airrifles never did it for me, I was /am an archer, teaching this at our local leisure centre ( or will be after the current situation)I have 2 yew long bows home made, and various other bows, I do have an air rifle, but with the laws in Scotland I sent it down to a relative in England, its a BSA supersport with 6x50 scope,but I,m not going to pay for a pt 1 FAC to keep it here, easker1

speytime

We have a indoor 100mtr rifle range just like you see American tv, there cameras on the target mount and a monitor to look at that saves you having to bring the target back to view it, I've got my rifle zeroed to 200 mtrs so at 100m it's 1" high.

@4wings is that 60m with a air rifle or the range was 60mtr?

Al

4wings

We have a indoor 100mtr rifle range just like you see American tv, there cameras on the target mount and a monitor to look at that saves you having to bring the target back to view it, I've got my rifle zeroed to 200 mtrs so at 100m it's 1" high.

@4wings is that 60m with a air rifle or the range was 60mtr?

Al
The cleared length of the range was 60 mtr, field target rules place knockdown targets set out from 5-55 mtr, we did add novelty targets beyond the official range

glueman

Had a small bore range at my school and had to do the Empire Test ( Pop up lollipop targets and assorted multi targets ) Also became a marksman ( Cross gun badge) with a Mark 4 Lee Enfield

speytime

Did you use mil dots on your scope or some other method to give you an idea of how much to lift, air rifles especially 22 pellets have quite an arc in there flight path.

Cheers Al

4wings

Did you use mil dots on your scope or some other method to give you an idea of how much to lift, air rifles especially 22 pellets have quite an arc in there flight path.

Cheers Al
I had a reticle made to suit on one scope/gun but used the zero range to work out ranges for a given number of clicks this is with .177calibre at 11 ft/lb. and Crosman pellets. That took care of hold over/under, windage was experience and guesswork. I watched one chap giving the width of the gun muzzle during a match and the pellet just made the target, curving against the wind and rain.
I never really took to .22 preferring the accuracy and flatter trajectory of .177 I did use the .22 and on one occasion a .30 calbre (brass sleeved barrel) it was like shooting dustbins!

BobP

Back in the winter of 1962/3 the wood pigeons were making free with the greens in the farm's kitchen garden. There was about a foot of snow on the ground and on the roof of a shed overlooking the garden. I got my mother to sacrifice an old sheet and took my father's .22 rifle up onto the shed and lay in the snow, hence the camouflage. The pigeons were feeding on the brussels sprout tops about 50 yards away. Using short ammunition because it was quiet I knocked off 6 in half an hour before the cold just got too much and the pigeons started to wonder why several of their chums were lying on the ground. That fed the three of us for two days when turned into a pie.

easker1

when I lived on Tyne side I was a member of a local shooting club, I had an 1852 .577 Enfield muzzle loader, the most fun shooting I had was with this, we had a 500 yd range available and I use to try that range at a 10 gallon drum, it was more accurate with a Ball rather than a bullet,I love the smell of Black powder smoke in the morning ( to paraphrase some one)easker1

4wings

when I lived on Tyne side I was a member of a local shooting club, I had an 1852 .577 Enfield muzzle loader, the most fun shooting I had was with this, we had a 500 yd range available and I use to try that range at a 10 gallon drum, it was more accurate with a Ball rather than a bullet,I love the smell of Black powder smoke in the morning ( to paraphrase some one)easker1
A friend of ours had a Brown Bess replica, which we shot with a full military load, oh my shoulder!
He also had a Colt pistol I think it was a Naval but you loaded the cylinders and and pressed in the ball then sealed the cylinders to prevent flash over. Lovely to shoot.
I asked him if he had ever tried fanning the hammer so he did the first shot was fine, the second shot
the cylinder fired two lead balls up the barrel so you ended up with a cock and balls shaped lead once
extracted.

As kids we made slings,spears,catapults,French arrows, and bow and arrows, using feathers or cornflake cardboard for the flights.All the bows had the bark cut with with our pen knife's or sheath knife into Indian type pattern's. We went roaming for miles out all day with any stray dogs that would tag along and a couple of pet Jackdaws that we took from the chimneys of some derelict houses,just before they fledged. As we grew older we progressed to Gat pistols,mostly black in colour if you had a silver one you felt like king of the world.When we were unable to get some pellets off the older boys we made pellets by rolling little piece's of chewing gum to the right size and leaving them until the next day to harden.Chewing gum pellets had the advantage of not causing any serious injury if you had a battle with kids from another estates.As we grew older we progressed to rifle's and shotguns.I would never shoot a gun now though.But if the grammar police get a bit *****y after reading this,I might get my old Catty out of retirement.:D
Adapt and Overcome! Yes, home made armaments! We made all ours and there was an Arms Race between us and the next street kids. Bigger, better, more accurate. Eventually we progressed to folding and hammering tin lids into arrow heads. These stuck into trees and one lad actually hit and killed a rabbit once. The natural progression was the Gat. When our hardware shop stopped selling us pellets (I think the local Bobby paid them a visit!) we used to find little bits of chalk and roll them on the paving slabs until they fit into the breech of the Gat. Advantage was they left splat marks on whatever you hit with them, including my mates backside one time for a giggle.
Thinking about it we were feral savages during summer holidays LoL.

easker1

the Enfield I had was made by Gibbs of Dublin for a Volunteer Regiment, it was in superb condition, 40grains of ffg with a 1 oz ball, I used Swarfega as a lubricant , it made cleaning a lot easier, at the end of shooting, easker1

4wings

Adapt and Overcome! Yes, home made armaments! We made all ours and there was an Arms Race between us and the next street kids. Bigger, better, more accurate. Eventually we progressed to folding and hammering tin lids into arrow heads. These stuck into trees and one lad actually hit and killed a rabbit once. The natural progression was the Gat. When our hardware shop stopped selling us pellets (I think the local Bobby paid them a visit!) we used to find little bits of chalk and roll them on the paving slabs until they fit into the breech of the Gat. Advantage was they left splat marks on whatever you hit with them, including my mates backside one time for a giggle.
Thinking about it we were feral savages during summer holidays LoL.
A Gat, yeuch! thats the thing with a barrel that leapt out and randomly tossed a pellet about 5 yards.
Bows cut from ash or elm, arrows with fire hardened bamboo arrow heads, catapults, slings, french arrows

jerryrum

Having read this thread I had to pop out to the garage and take this photo:
hgdrtf.PNG

This is my first ever air rifle, over 25 years old.

Its an SMK B45-3 12 shot pump up .177

As you can see it needs a bit of TLC

also pictured is a black widow. this one is a fairly recent purchase, but it does bring back childhood memories.