All going wrong

pigsypete

Guys, I need your help.

The last 2 days have seen me manage to lose about 10 flies due to my leader snapping.

I am tying my droppers on with 3 turn water knots and have had one dropper snap off near the knot and 3 times now the whole leader from the top dropper snap. Twice it has been on a take as i lift into the fish the other time was halfway through a fight.

I moisten every knot as I tighten it and inspect the leader every few casts. I am using Grand Max soft plus in 10.4Lb.

Should I be using a different knot or is there something I am doing wrong ? Its worrying me that I am leaving fish swimming round with a leader and 2 loose flies attached.

hutch6

You're getting snapped off using 10.4lb leader?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek: What they hell are you fishing for, Wells?

What knott are you using to attach your leader?

fredaevans

You're getting snapped off using 10.4lb leader?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek: What they hell are you fishing for, Wells?

What knott are you using to attach your leader?

That was my question too! With 10# leader you could be river fishing for Steelhead and Pacific Salmon and have little fear of a break off. If you do odds on it will be at a knot.

BobP

Something drastically wrong if you're getting breaks on 10.4lb Softplus. I use 8.2 and rarely have any problems.

So, you're doing a 3 turn water knot for droppers. Which strand are you tying the fly to after the knot is completed? The one facing up towards the flyline or the one pointing down? If it is the former then that is the source of your problem

Next, try a Fig 8 knot for making droppers. My method is to use a straight through length of leader material and then attach the droppers at the required position. It is a very simple knot, and very reliable. Again use the downward facing strand for attaching the fly.

Try that for starters and if it doesn't work come back to us.

linkledger

First question is when did you buy the line, how old is it was it exposure to sunlight?

I use a three turn water knot and haven't experienced break offs and I am only using 10/8/6 lbs line to make up my leaders with droppers.

I would bin the line and buy new and sort out the knot tying.

You can't let fish go around trailing line and flies it equels a slow death in many cases.

D

Deleted member 8214

Low diameter/high breaking strain lines can be very temperamental re knots especially copolymers. You should try a range of knots to see which one is suitable. I broke off on three occasions last season using 10·1lb Fulling Mill copolymer. Rather than faff about I switched back to a good, reliable standard nylon mono (Maxima Ultragreen) - it's never let me down. The 'advantages' gained from fluorocarbon and copolymers, despite manufacturer's claims, are negligible and the prices charged are obscene.

Last edited by a moderator:

dave b

If you've paid anywhere near £23.50 a spool which is the advertised price on web site you're throwing money away.

It's 0.218 diameter flourocarbon which is almost exactly the same dia as 5lb Maxima ultragreen. I'll guarantee for sub surface work, it won't catch any more fish. Given how many times you'be been broken I'd suggest trying 5lb Maxima because if you get broken on that then you need to look very closely at your set up and more importantly technique.

easker1

I use 5lb Snowbee magic line and it's over a year old , and I don't get as many breaks as you do , check your line easker1