All round line

lavo85

Need a new floater on my 9ft 5wt demon, something that floats high, lies straight, for small stillwaters and smallish river, care to recommend?

p

G

GEK79

Need a new floater on my 9ft 5wt demon, something that floats high, lies straight, for small stillwaters and smallish river, care to recommend?

p
My first choice would be Barrio Gt90
The guys here rate the maxcatch gold lines.
If Barrio has the GT5w that be my first choice.

delray

Twice I've tried to order stuff from MC this year; yep, the Gold line plus other bibs and bobs. Twice it's gone t...s up, but twice I've received an immediate refund.

Anyway, back to the O.P; Greys Platinum, Wychwood Presentation, Barrio Smallstream. If you fancy a 'value' line, but not from Maxcatch, Norris's new one maybe, but I don't think there's been any reviews so far on here.

Mrtrout

Might give one of them a go steven.
For not much more than a tenner to your door it’s worth a go, I’ll be amazed if you don’t like them.
I use them from #2 to #5 and mainly #4, not one has disappointed me.
S.

ohanzee

Well worth the money & even their longevity, as they supply the required line treatment free. (Probably included in the price).

I have a few and I don't think I have ever worn one out, actually I don't think I have ever worn any fly line out, last one I bought was £30 or so,

taffy1

I have a few and I don't think I have ever worn one out, actually I don't think I have ever worn any fly line out, last one I bought was £30 or so,

The last Snowbee line I purchased was their sink tip, sewin fishing, & that must have been 10+ years ago. £34 I think it cost me then.

ohanzee

The last Snowbee line I purchased was their sink tip, sewin fishing, & that must have been 10+ years ago. £34 I think it cost me then.

Did a search, about £45 now, the head length is just right for all round work, you can lift 40' and do 70' in one cast.

taffy1

Did a search, about £45 now, the head length is just right for all round work, you can lift 40' and do 70' in one cast.

It's hard at night to visualize how much line you are actually lifting off the water, but in your estimation of the single back cast & delivery. that sort of distance is attainable, this line does shoot well.

pati

Yes, a good suggestion ---- If your pockets are deep!

FunkyFlyTying had them for 49£ a few weeks back, not sure now...
I find the TT relatively sturdy and the most versatile of trout lines.

The Orvis Pro Trout is an improvement over the TT by tweaking the TT profile and using SA (who makes both LeeWulff and Orvis lines) latest coating. Having both, the improvement is there but in my opinion not worth the difference in price (the Orvis is twice as expensive as the TT).

I have no problem with buying maxcatch when they make their own product but not when they blatantly copy someone else’s product (eg Rio Gold in that case)

I have tried cheaper lines like Bario and was disappointed despite the large number of people raving about them on this forum (which convinced me to try): my personal experience was bad (with the product itself, the service is top notch).

chris_t

I would second the barrio recommendations. Have the smallstream in a few different weights and use one for some of my stillwater fishing. Like the fact that the quite heavy taper allows for easy roll casts on rivers but also shooting the line on a stillwater.

Latest posts