All round line

Hardrar

Kingfishers are good value and come in subtle colours, very supple and high floating, Scierra are supple high floating and cast a long way with ease, also very quiet through the rings. Lee Wulffs and Cortlands are great but a bit pricey.

sean freeman

Another vote for Orvis Pro Trout smooth, but when they’re £25 off and they’re £74. Still a lot but it’s by far my favourite line. Someone said they were half a line size heavy but I contacted them and was told they are in fact true to weight.

pati

Another vote for Orvis Pro Trout smooth, but when they’re £25 off and they’re £74. Still a lot but it’s by far my favourite line. Someone said they were half a line size heavy but I contacted them and was told they are in fact true to weight.

They are true to weight but they do feel a bit heavy. The textured version is even better, very very discrete when peeling off the water.

sean freeman

They are true to weight but they do feel a bit heavy. The textured version is even better, very very discrete when peeling off the water.
I absolutely love my smooth version on my P5 and Hardy Smuggler, I’ve ordered an SA amplitude infinity taper smooth for my T6 for windy conditions and big flies but I fancy another pro trout in a #6 for general fishing. Is the textured line as rough as usual SA textured lines and does it make a lot of noise when casting?
Cheers

t44

I have the snowbee xs high float and Kelly blue intermediate in 6 wt both cast well on my snowbee prestige and lie straight. My main river line is a rio gold intouch I absolutely love it and it casts beautifully in a 4 wt, but never on the surface long enough to comment how it lies....but a mate of mine bought the 6 wt for fishing stationary dries and whilst it casts great it very quickly snakes up, so badly in fact he took it back to Sportfish!

beetlebum

Need a new floater on my 9ft 5wt demon, something that floats high, lies straight, for small stillwaters and smallish river, care to recommend?

p
I use a vision vibe 85 with my Demon 5 weight and I like it. It isn't the most supple though and it has a short head for casting in restricted space so maybe not for everyone. The most surprising line I've bought was the scierra aerial, lovely straight line and got it for £25 new.

sean freeman

I had a Barrio SLX that curled like crazy, literally knotted itself but replacement has been great. Hit and miss but the price is right. As an aside, Paul Arden one of the best casters out there rates a top quality fly line above the rod and reel in terms of importance. I know I’m in that school of thought but I’m guilty of splurging on rods and reels too.

ohanzee

Barrio , Lee wulf lines are over played I gave mine away, easker1

I like Wulff lines on a river but I think the head is too short for bank fishing a loch, which is odd because I love the Loop opti which has a shorter(heavier) head, something to do with the weight distribution of the Wulff triangle taper, I'd like to try one with a slightly longer head.

green man

Rio Technical Trout, SA Mastery Trout, Barrio (Mallard, if they still do it), Snowbee, Greys, Orvis... in fact, anything but Maxcatch.

I'm with pati. Maxcatch lines are unashamed rip offs of Rio - even down to the bi-colours. I don't know how anyone can buy that stuff. End of rant. 😜

pati

I like Wulff lines on a river but I think the head is too short for bank fishing a loch, which is odd because I love the Loop opti which has a shorter(heavier) head, something to do with the weight distribution of the Wulff triangle taper, I'd like to try one with a slightly longer head.

The Orvis Pro Trout is exactly what you describe you want... but it is very expensive !

ohanzee

The Orvis Pro Trout is exactly what you describe you want... but it is very expensive !

It always surprises me more don't check up on head profile when thinking about lines, from the front end of the rear taper its a total of 40', 32' of working weight....could be just perfect but it still seems quite short, they do a textured line too, I loved the old Sharkskin, which was the perfect profile for me.

orvis_pro_smooth_fly_fishing_floating_lines_profile_details.jpg

speytime

I'm a huge fan of the snowbee xs and the maxcatch gold, I own both them.
Both cast equally well £55 versus £10 its your call.
I also like the barrio GT125 for stillwater the longer head makes it a totally different animal from the Gt90 IMHO

Al

speytime

It always surprises me more don't check up on head profile when thinking about lines, from the front end of the rear taper its a total of 40', 32' of working weight....could be just perfect but it still seems quite short, they do a textured line too, I loved the old Sharkskin, which was the perfect profile for me.

View attachment 32718
I've countless all round lines, now when I'm looking for a line it's for a specific purpose so the profile/head weight is of vital importance.

Al

Latest posts