All round line

pati

It always surprises me more don't check up on head profile when thinking about lines, from the front end of the rear taper its a total of 40', 32' of working weight....could be just perfect but it still seems quite short, they do a textured line too, I loved the old Sharkskin, which was the perfect profile for me.

View attachment 32718

Not sure what you mean Allan, but the taper on the TT is 36’ to 40’ depending on line weight whereas it is 50’ on the pro trout, so a good 10’ longer at least. The front taper is designed to facilitate short distance loading of the rod (an issue with stiff rods and TT lines) and the rear taper is designed to facilitate carrying the line at longer distance.

That said agree with you that a longer belly to get to a total taper of 60’ would be nice.

The Pro trout is a true to weight line however my personal feeling is that at short distance it feels heavier, which I assume is because of that front taper (I have the textured version). I personally prefer the lighter front taper of the TT but maybe because to me if a rod doesn’t load close in with a TT line it is too stiff for my liking (ie. Note I only use TT lines up to 5wt, above that I would go for stiffer rod and more front loaded line). At longer range the longer head and the rear taper of the pro trout make it a slightly superior line to the TT in my taste. The texturing makes the line noticeably more stealthy when lifting line off the water to recast.

Last edited:

ohanzee

Not sure what you mean Allan, but the taper on the TT is 36’ to 40’ depending on line weight whereas it is 50’ on the pro trout, so a good 10’ longer at least. The front taper is designed to facilitate short distance loading of the rod (an issue with stiff rods and TT lines) and the rear taper is designed to facilitate carrying the line at longer distance.

That said agree with you that a longer belly to get to a total taper of 60’ would be nice.

The Pro trout is a true to weight line however my personal feeling is that at short distance it feels heavier, which I assume is because of that front taper (I have the textured version). I personally prefer the lighter front taper of the TT but maybe because to me if a rod doesn’t load close in with a TT line it is too stiff for my liking (ie. Note I only use TT lines up to 5wt, above that I would go for stiffer rod and more front loaded line). At longer range the longer head and the rear taper of the pro trout make it a slightly superior line to the TT in my taste. The texturing makes the line noticeably more stealthy when lifting line off the water to recast.

I tend not to include the rear taper if its short and steep but it didn't occur to me to ask, do you get the use of the full 50'?

I usually moan about people not being specific enough about lines but your comparison is as good as it gets, I had exactly the same experience with the TT and you confirm what I suspected about a longer head, same with the stiffer rod, I think I know what my next line is.

Latest posts