Almost Anything Goes

Cap'n Fishy

The moon rising last night...

Flowers28Nov20_5343.jpg

Flowers28Nov20_5382.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

I have not kept fish since I was a teenager, but I remember we had a tank with tropical fish for a few years, and was surprised to see one of the adult fish change sex. Might have been a platy or a swordtail? It was orange. Changed from a female to a male, totally out the blue.

Col

Fishtales

I have not kept fish since I was a teenager, but I remember we had a tank with tropical fish for a few years, and was surprised to see one of the adult fish change sex. Might have been a platy or a swordtail? It was orange. Changed from a female to a male, totally out the blue.

Col

Swordtails and Platies will do that if there are a lot of females and no males :) I think most of the livebearers can do that. The biggest Swordtail I ever had was a big female that had a few spawnings before she changed :)

Fishtales

Well the eggs are still there but some are now turning white. She does seem to be protecting them as she is chasing the Corydorus catfish away from beneath them and she went for my finger when I put it near the front glass :)

20210114_140237.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

Those are supposed to be the ones that aren't fertilised but I wont be holding my breath :)

Aye, that was what I was hinting at... maybe... just maybe... 🤞

I read about guppies doing a bit of parthenogenesis, but they are viviparous. However, the Komodos lay eggs...

Fishtales

Aye, that was what I was hinting at... maybe... just maybe... 🤞

I read about guppies doing a bit of parthenogenesis, but they are viviparous. However, the Komodos lay eggs...

Guppies need a male to start with but they can store sperm for up to three more spawnings, as can all the livebearers, that is when a female turns into a male if there are none about in the shoal. This is where phantom births come from. Somebody buys a load of Guppies from a tank that are all females but, unbeknown to him, one of them has come in contact at some point with a male and they get babies which appears to be a virgin birth :) It happens if the breeder doesn't separate the boys from the girls at an early enough age.

Cap'n Fishy

Guppies need a male to start with but they can store sperm for up to three more spawnings, as can all the livebearers, that is when a female turns into a male if there are none about in the shoal. This is where phantom births come from. Somebody buys a load of Guppies from a tank that are all females but, unbeknown to him, one of them has come in contact at some point with a male and they get babies which appears to be a virgin birth :) It happens if the breeder doesn't separate the boys from the girls at an early enough age.

This refers to them being separated at 12 days old...

https://www.nature.com/articles/171437a0

Dunno if that would be soon-enough? Also seems to be a bit of a one-off.

This looks interesting, but can't seem to access it without signing-up...

https://www.the-scientist.com/the-nutshell/endangered-fish-can-reproduce-without-mating-35366

Fishtales

This refers to them being separated at 12 days old...

https://www.nature.com/articles/171437a0

Dunno if that would be soon-enough? Also seems to be a bit of a one-off.

This looks interesting, but can't seem to access it without signing-up...

https://www.the-scientist.com/the-nutshell/endangered-fish-can-reproduce-without-mating-35366

Interesting.

I wonder though if it is the mated mother that gives birth to females that have a fertilised egg already in their body in case they don't get a male to mate with if they are in isolation? Either that or the egg retains a male sperm that lies dormant in the new female and fertilises an egg if the female doesn't find a male to mate with.

Cap'n Fishy

Interesting.

I wonder though if it is the mated mother that gives birth to females that have a fertilised egg already in their body in case they don't get a male to mate with if they are in isolation?

There are things that do that. I'm struggling to remember them...

Fishtales

Near the bottom.

Cabbage aphids are familiar to any gardener as prolific pests.

In the spring, females turn out 5-10 genetic copies of themselves a day. This continues through the summer when the daughters gain wings to help spread the family further.

A single aphid could spawn enough descendants to cover the Earth in a layer of aphids 149km deep within a year
Under the microscope, a newly-born summer female already contains the embryo of the next generation, like a tiny Russian doll. In autumn, the females finally produce some males, allowing for mating and some healthy shuffling of genes.