America’s Cup - NZ

LukeNZ

Ben Ainslie and Brittania did it again today - and in very light airs. Everyone coming off the foils at times.

Great stuff!

champyron

Amazing turnaround by the Ineos Brittania team but the light winds/foiling/not foiling racing in multi million pound yachts is so frustrating to watch. Surely it is time to increase the wind speed required to start the races so that they have a reasonably level playing field to have a crack at each other. I can't imagine any non enthusiast maintaining interest. Match racing is supposed to be a tactical boat on boat mind game contest not a wandering around hundreds of yards from each other looking for the next little puff of wind. Leave that to the bigger dinghy fleets.

Reg Wyatt

Thanks for that Luke. Really amazing stuff - especially when the UK boat was heading directly at those spectators! Unbelievable. I guess the Americans will be desperate to conjure up some 'magic' of their own? Great racing

Reg Wyatt

LukeNZ

Thanks for that Luke. Really amazing stuff - especially when the UK boat was heading directly at those spectators! Unbelievable. I guess the Americans will be desperate to conjure up some 'magic' of their own? Great racing

Reg Wyatt

Here is today - Day 3. It also catches you up on yesterday first. Britannia does it again! 4 from 4 now, despite a bad start. UK only one race today and they are at the top of the table, with 0 losses. What a turn around - but it was expected, they have a very technical boat and have simply got it sorted out now!

US Magic has a big high speed capsize against Luna Rossa. It is shaping up to be a nail biter to decide the challenger to face Team NZ’s Te Rehutai (the sea spray - in English).

Last edited:

champyron

Let's hope USA can get their reserve boat 'Defiant' ready for Friday. They cannibalised parts from it to use on Magic.

LukeNZ

Oh my goodness that capsize was incredible! Amazing spectacle

Reg Wyatt
Team NZ had a huge capsize when the y were helping Ineos Team UK trim and set up their boat prior to this latest Challenger racing.
I think the NZ capsize is on You Tube - will see if I can find it.
It happened on 11th. Jan. - there was panic throughout the land!
🙃

champyron

In the UK it is all available on youtube under Prada cup. Lots of analysis as well.

Reg Wyatt

When I sailed on the twelve metre yacht Constellation during America cup trials, about 1979, my job was winding the inboard end of the spinnaker pole up and down! That's all I had to do. If any of the current America cup yachts had flown past us doing forty knots, most of the Constellation crew would have either fainted, shat themselves or presumed aliens had landed. (Probably all the above)
An amazing advance in technology but I wonder what the current crews would be like sailing the old twelve metres, apart from bored!?

Reg Wyatt

LukeNZ

When I sailed on the twelve metre yacht Constellation during America cup trials, about 1979, my job was winding the inboard end of the spinnaker pole up and down! That's all I had to do. If any of the current America cup yachts had flown past us doing forty knots, most of the Constellation crew would have either fainted, shat themselves or presumed aliens had landed. (Probably all the above)
An amazing advance in technology but I wonder what the current crews would be like sailing the old twelve metres, apart from bored!?

Reg Wyatt

...I think they would be yawning a bit Reg! 🥱

Where will they take it next - solar/wind powered prop and sails, and foils..🤔

champyron

There are 2 youtube videos which are well worth watching. "American Magic's fight to save Patriot" shows the capsize and the struggle to keep it afloat. " American Magic capsize - Press Conference" in which the skipper Terry Hutchinson gives a really forthright and honest account of what he believes happened and how they will refit Patriot ready for the semi finals. He is really impressive and optimistic.

I am struggling to provide the links to these so if anyone can do that I would appreciate it.