America’s Cup - NZ

green man

What a turn around - but it was expected, they have a very technical boat and have simply got it sorted out now!
Come off it... we were all writing them off.... ;) and I'm not afraid to admit it. Couldn't be more pleased that I got it wrong. I guess one thing has changed - the weather.

LukeNZ

Last edited:

Reg Wyatt

It is an amazing spectacle and I love watching it. I would prefer to be there watching it live! Any excuse to be in NZ.
Being an old fuddy, I am still prone to say I'm not sure it's yacht racing as I prefer to see it with computerised technology a far too decisive factor. However, this is the formula one of sailing and is a long way from my sailing experiences. God I'm defending the past already!
Wonderful and very interesting to see how the Kiwi boat responds to the increased performance of the challengers. Thanks for the updates Luke

Reg Wyatt

Dingbat

It is an amazing spectacle and I love watching it. I would prefer to be there watching it live! Any excuse to be in NZ.
Being an old fuddy, I am still prone to say I'm not sure it's yacht racing as I prefer to see it with computerised technology a far too decisive factor. However, this is the formula one of sailing and is a long way from my sailing experiences. God I'm defending the past already!
Wonderful and very interesting to see how the Kiwi boat responds to the increased performance of the challengers. Thanks for the updates Luke

Reg Wyatt

It took them a while to project the wind direction onto the race track - even the commentators did't have a clue which way the wind was going.

I'm glad, and indeed impressed, the way the British team functioned so well once the boat was up to speed, so to speak.

The sport as a whole was heading in that direction anyway but I'm not sure I find the dislocation between foiling at 40 knts. and wandering around the racetrack in a random search for a breeze particularly sporty.

1st_teamsunbed

this is the formula one of sailing
Too right I don't see many of these craft in Axmouth , the closest to these I have gotten to this is windsurf foiling , yes I'm a winsurfer not a sailor. The America's cup/ Prada cup is something special, some of the concepts cross over in design , so I always keep an eye out.

champyron

Since the beginning of the event " MozzySails" on youtube have done some terrific analysis of the crew roles, race tactics and crew communications. Recommended.

champyron

Highlights on bbc2 Tues 26/1 1545 - 1650. It should later be on i player.

this shortened version should provide good viewing for even non-sailors.

Reg Wyatt

Great effort from team USA but looks out of it? Italy UK final should be cracking. Wonder if the Kiwis are the least bit worried?

Reg Wyatt

LukeNZ

Great effort from team USA but looks out of it? Italy UK final should be cracking. Wonder if the Kiwis are the least bit worried?

Reg Wyatt
They wont waste their time worrying - they will be watching very closely, and working really hard. Though they will still appear very friendly, relaxed and humble, to the uninitiated.. They will be quietly sharpening their swords , balancing every arrow and aligning every feather of every flight.. so not one arrow will be wasted..

🙃

green man

It'll be interesting to see how the Italian team copes with the pressure of the Prada Cup final after being whitewashed by the Brits. Spithill may be the youngest ever AC winning skipper, but I can't help thinking at the back of his mind he knows who really won it for him, and that guy is driving the other boat.

champyron

Reg Wyatt
looking forward to 13th Feb for the start of the final. Best of 13 races. All on youtube live and afterwards.