And now for something different...

taffy1

As an aside from rods, nylon, reels et al, what about a cost & quality of hooks thread? Falkus reckoned the Victorians made the best hooks due to the better quality of steel available then. True? Or false?

ohanzee

No idea, they made very good bridges, drains and canals, but lacked chemical sharpening and a hook cost 4 months wages in the mill, not that it mattered cos you didn't get a day off and the river was polluted anyway.

Is it true that before Falkus escaped from Colditz he ate the German Commanders cat?

Sorry that went off topic rather rapidly!

Paul_B

Could be true as today's hook should rot quickly rather than one which lasts forever stuck in a fish.

arkle

A lot of hooks from that era, were made of wire that was thicker in its gauge than the more "refined" ones we used in both Falkus's & our current time.

bobmiddlepoint

As an aside from rods, nylon, reels et al, what about a cost & quality of hooks thread? Falkus reckoned the Victorians made the best hooks due to the better quality of steel available then. True? Or false?
Hogwash!
Well the bit about the quality of the steel is. The Victorians may well have made better hooks than some of the dross turned out by Mustad in the 1970's and 1980's or indeed some of the stuff from Partridge in the 1990's and 2000's.
I have handled a few hooks from the Victorian age but it is worth remembering that only the best hooks have survived, all the crud rusted away years ago.

There is no doubt in my mind that hooks today are far better than they were in the period 1970's to 2000. You NEVER see a duff hook in a packet of Kamasans even when you buy them by the thousand, Partridge couldn't even make a packet of ten the same!

Was Hugh even in Colditz?

Andy

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Tucked away in my hook file i have some upeyed captain hamiltons labbeled hardy in size 8 ,dam fine hooks made pre war ,also some small Alcocks down eye fine wires,both lots came from Benwoods closing down sale .very happy with them.
Not keen on the slagging of of Hugh Falkus ,he was to me a real gentleman and great company.

BobP

When I first started semi-pro fly tying back in 1973 I used to get Partridge hooks and found that I would get 10% breakage in the vice and this would always happen when doing the whip finish and drawing the thread up tight. So, I went through the whole process of tying the fly only for it to go "ping" right at the end. Cost time, effort and money.

Eventually I switched to Mustads and while they were a bit on the rank side, at least they didn't break. I cannot remember the last hook that broke in the vice nowadays. Modern hooks are extremely good, and I think infinitely better in a wider range of applications.

PaulD

I've been tying since the late 60s and since that time I have contrived to amass quite a substantial collection of hooks . . . one year I aim to return from the BFFI without adding to the collection.

At the outset I tied my Tom Ivens patterns on 'Veniard Wide Gape Trout', lures were tied on the Mustad 9872, there was, at the time, a very limited selection of hook patterns. I have various boxes of Mustad hooks and in comparison to what's available today they look Neolithic.

For most of my tying today I use Tiemco, Hanak, Hends, Daiichi and Varivas and I cannot fault the consistency of quality of any of them. I cannot recall the last time that I had any of these hooks, bend, distort or break in the vise or find a dodgy eye, rough shank or finish etc. In the 60s and 70s it wasn't frequent but it wasn't uncommon.

I fear that some of the current 'issues' with modern hooks is that a poor choice of hook is made for the task. These days, the fish we fish for are often larger, we quite often use heavier lines, often very dense, fast sinking lines, the hook needs to be up to the task. We have available to us very fine wired hooks, very well tempered and chemically sharpened but if you're looking to fish size 14 dry flies on Grafham you'd need a different hook from what you'd use to fish the same size fly on Dartmoor.

JayP

I've been tying since the late 60s and since that time I have contrived to amass quite a substantial collection of hooks . . . one year I aim to return from the BFFI without adding to the collection.

At the outset I tied my Tom Ivens patterns on 'Veniard Wide Gape Trout', lures were tied on the Mustad 9872, there was, at the time, a very limited selection of hook patterns. I have various boxes of Mustad hooks and in comparison to what's available today they look Neolithic.

For most of my tying today I use Tiemco, Hanak, Hends, Daiichi and Varivas and I cannot fault the consistency of quality of any of them. I cannot recall the last time that I had any of these hooks, bend, distort or break in the vise or find a dodgy eye, rough shank or finish etc. In the 60s and 70s it wasn't frequent but it wasn't uncommon.

I fear that some of the current 'issues' with modern hooks is that a poor choice of hook is made for the task. These days, the fish we fish for are often larger, we quite often use heavier lines, often very dense, fast sinking lines, the hook needs to be up to the task. We have available to us very fine wired hooks, very well tempered and chemically sharpened but if you're looking to fish size 14 dry flies on Grafham you'd need a different hook from what you'd use to fish the same size fly on Dartmoor.
Funny you mention Grafham as I had a nymph hook straightened yesterday after a bizarre double hook up, snapped dropper, dragged through the weed type of scrap!

I've used TMC2499's in the past for big tailwater trout dry flies, they do the job well but no finesse to them at all