anglers Curse.

3lbgrayling

I noticed the last 2 night that there was a small hatch of Caenis. luckily the fish have not fixated on them ''YET''I'm thinking that this is quite early for them.?

Jim

shuck raider

They usually appear around the beginning of June, which is about spot on now.

The caenis hatch is the highlight of the year for my mate Joe Stitt, he targets them specifically and is hugely successful at catching fish when the insect appears. It's amusing to see anglers packing up in disgust when the hatch starts and Joe just beginning to tackle up with a big grin on his face :D

We persuaded him to write an article for the Partridge Blog where he discloses just some of his secrets :thumbs:

Reactions: ACW
G

guest54

I've never noticed them this early in 50 years of fishing but it could be because
I didn't really look. Nature can surprise us all at times.

eddleston123

I was fishing my border stream on Monday, and witnessed a hatch of Daddy Longlegs (crane flies). I've already been told that I must have been mistaken.
I was not. These were medium sized craneflies fluttering around the banks.

Just saying, as in the case of caenis, maybe they're all getting confused with the seasons!

Douglas

richardw

Trade Member
They usually appear around the beginning of June, which is about spot on now.

The caenis hatch is the highlight of the year for my mate Joe Stitt, he targets them specifically and is hugely successful at catching fish when the insect appears. It's amusing to see anglers packing up in disgust when the hatch starts and Joe just beginning to tackle up with a big grin on his face :D

We persuaded him to write an article for the Partridge Blog where he discloses just some of his secrets :thumbs:
That's most interesting. On rivers the fish don't patrol about in the way described in the article, which concentrates on stillwater tactics. They hang in the water at the height of the Caenis event and eat clumps of Caenis in a manner that is reminiscent of whales engulfing herring en masse. I use Richard Walker's idea of a fly to hint at multiple flies but simplified to suit my limited fly tying skills...

Dry Fly 'Expert': Double Badger

:thumbs:
richard

hillloch

There are Daddies available nearly all season long up here. But they are different types. The big ones come out towards the end of the season.
As for caenis, no signs yet. But it will not be long.

inishmackjames

Caenis started hatching on Corrib about a week ago and they are early this year, maybe two weeks, but for me it's the highlight of the year. I fish the early morning hatch, 5am to midday if I'm lucky. If weather conditions are suitable, no breeze to very light you are in with a chance of the best fishing of your life, there is nothing to beat it, any dry fly will do as long as it's tiny and put in the right place.

hillloch

I am in Shetland. There are small greenish daddies that make an appearance up here in April.
The reference to 'The Old Rock' is what many exiled Shetlander's call the land of their birth.
The weather up here is as usual way behind what is enjoyed further south. We have been experiencing depressed temperatures due to a cold North Easterly that has been blowing for the last two weeks. Having said that, the olives and other upwings have hatched on time, so caenis should be making an appearance any day soon.

JohnH

The weather up here is as usual way behind what is enjoyed further south. We have been experiencing depressed temperatures due to a cold North Easterly that has been blowing for the last two weeks.
Don't take that as read. Although the week of 23 May was OK for my holiday in the West Country and I had some great sport on the Teign (thanks to Devon Flyfisher for his guiding :thumbs:), we have had cold northerly winds screaming down through Hamphire all this week. My central heating has been on in the early mornings and late evenings. Heaven only knows what this has done to the Mayfly, we were already a bit behind with the hatch calendar, but some better weather is allegedly coming for the weekend and beyond.

hillloch

Sorry John H, please take as read.
First sentence - all I meant was that because Shetland is so far north of course it will lag behind when it comes to seasonal changes experienced by the rest of the UK.
Second sentence - the cold NE wind has depressed temperatures. If you can find shelter from the wind there is a micro climate much warmer. I have learned to exploit sheltered bays because that is where the action will be.
I also mentioned hatches of upwings being on time.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

... Mayflies hatching on Menteith.
Aye, don't know if the hatch has taken another jump up in numbers or has got going early, but that's by far the most mayfly I've seen on Menteith before the end of May... it was 24°C during the day there yesterday - lovely! :thumbs:

Not been anywhere where I might have come across Caenis in the evening yet. On Coldingham this Saturday eve - might have a chance of the wee fellies.

Col

Wee Jimmy

There were a few about on the Lake last night Col.just after sunset.;)

Jim
I've noticed that they do like to make an appearance after a bright warm day , particularly if the wind drops. The Lake doesn't seem prone to blizzard hatches does it Jim...? The numbers make the fishing a bit more manageable I find. Though its been a few years since I fished an evening session there, might be different these days....;)