Anglers to challenge Brexit bait ban

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Issued by the Angling Trust:

The Angling Trust has joined forces with bait manufacturers Dynamite and Mainline in urgently seeking clarification on Brexit ruling which will effectively ban UK anglers from taking baits with them on fishing trips in Europe.

Since the UK-EU Trade Agreement came into force on January 1st, the export of baits derived from animal produce, such as boilies, requires a European Health Certificate (EHC) to be completed. At present, the EHC for baits of this sort are under the same requirements as exporting animal feed which involves exhaustive and expensive testing, and certification from a vet. To make export to Europe cost effective, the Angling Trust believes bait needs to sit under a simpler EHC classification.

Mark Owen, the Angling Trust’s Head of Freshwater, said:

“The Angling Trust has retained active engagement with the European Commission through our membership of the European Anglers Alliance and we will continue to press the EU to facilitate this change of EHC classification.

“It is apparent, from our understanding, that the current position will impact on anglers purchasing bait in England to go fishing in Europe once Covid travel restrictions are lifted as they would have to produce an EHC if challenged. We are presently seeking clarification that our interpretation is correct and more information will follow.”

Jamie Cook, Angling Trust CEO and keen carp angler, added:

“It’s ridiculous that fishing baits for a species that is returned alive are being treated as if they were part of the food production process. I have asked my team at the Angling Trust to work with the angling trade to press the European Commission to see sense.”

The Angling Trades Association also hope to provide a briefing on the issues next week.

The post Anglers to challenge Brexit bait ban appeared first on Angling Trust.

More...

lhomme

It is ridiculous to think carp baits thrown in any water don't become part of the food chain and do not need any regulation or control of the production process. I know, because I was a bait manufacturer and dealt with the ministries of agriculture and public health. In Belgium you need an approval for processing fish feed. Reason being a lot of feedstuffs are discarded food (bread, cereals, etc.) or offal products of food and feed processing (meat, bone, feather and fishmeal).
It is even more worrying that a "keen" carp angler doesn't particularly care what he's feeding the carp that grace his fotoalbum and are returned to be caught over and over again. At least some kind of consideration on the wellbeing of the prey could be expected and that doesn't end with putting them on an "unhooking mat" and pouring some water over them. They are feeding the animals they "love and respect" with enormous quantities of carbohydrates whilst we all know fish do not find a lot of carbohydrates in their natural habitat and have no or little use for them. Some famous and busy carp lakes have literally become "sh*tholes".

aunt_maud

Having a laugh at your expense.
If they confiscate your ham sandwich including the bread and butter element at the border, they will confiscate your bait at the border.

That's life as a third country and applies to places like Australia, New Zealand, the USA and the EU.

loxie

The problem isn't hook baits it's the hundreds of kilos of ground bait that gets heaved in. A return to natural baits only, bought locally to prevent the spread of disease, seems logical to me.