Another Custom Reel

ROVER

Trade Member
Hi all

I've been at it again and another new reel has just left my 3 x 10foot 'shed'. This one is my fifth, and is based on an Ari II at the request of our own Mr Trout, and I think by far the nicest looking so far. Made entirely from scratch again using raw T6061 ally and stainless steel rod and my mini lathe, with the only bought in parts being the allen bolts. The Ally parts are all anodised in either natural or antique gold using my basic set up of acid bath and a battery charger. The spool retaining nut is totally captive so there's no chance of losing it on the water should you need to remove the spool outdoors. The central spindle is supported on two thrust ball bearings and the rotation is soooo smooth. The drawstring pouch is faux suede dyed blood red.20200315_173045.jpg20200315_173027.jpg20200315_173023.jpg20200315_172957.jpg

So, here are a few piccys for your perusal, as always, any comments welcome!

Attachments

ROVER

Trade Member
I'm an electrical engineer who bought a mini lathe a couple of years ago with the intention to make a reel amongst a few other bits and bobs, I'm definitely just a hobbyist, though I'm not sure how skilled ! Obviously the engineering mind does come into play though.

blithfield2

Is it for sale though?..................to join the red coloured reel you made!

Scotty90

Well your reels are very good, I am a machinist and I can’t see a single fault in your work. The anodising is great looking also. Is the spool one piece and are you porting the spool with a mill or on the lathe?

ROVER

Trade Member
Well your reels are very good, I am a machinist and I can’t see a single fault in your work. The anodising is great looking also. Is the spool one piece and are you porting the spool with a mill or on the lathe?
Thank you

my spools are 3 piece with the arbour ported as much as possible to remove excess weight. Ive justgot a 7 x 12" mini lathe with a vertical milling attachment.

Mrtrout

I'm an electrical engineer who bought a mini lathe a couple of years ago with the intention to make a reel amongst a few other bits and bobs, I'm definitely just a hobbyist, though I'm not sure how skilled ! Obviously the engineering mind does come into play though.
let me answer that, you’re very skilled Graeme, I’m due delivery of this in the post and I can’t wait.
Rover kindly took on this commission for me, it’s largely based on the Ari Hart Ari11 which is one of my favourite designs, however I asked Graeme to do three graduated rows of porting to the spool unlike the original reel.
i think it complements the reel very well and reduces weight, also this is a click and pawl design not a drag which is fine for where I’ll be using it.
Thanks Graeme for taking the commission you’ve done a fine job mate.
this is the reel it’s based on, which used to be mine, I sold that along with all my other Aris three years ago, I think the replacement is just as nice.8C0D1759-AB74-4BB2-B8EF-D38AB0D016AD.png

S.

blithfield2

let me answer that, you’re very skilled Graeme, I’m due delivery of this in the post and I can’t wait.
Rover kindly took on this commission for me, it’s largely based on the Ari Hart Ari11 which is one of my favourite designs, however I asked Graeme to do three graduated rows of porting to the spool unlike the original reel.
i think it complements the reel very well and reduces weight, also this is a click and pawl design not a drag which is fine for where I’ll be using it.
this is the reel it’s based on, which used to be mine, I sold that along with all my other Aris three years ago, I think the replacement is just as nice.

S.
Steven,
I am a victim of that old adage - if you snooze you lose! Hopefully R will spend his self quarantine making another.

Lewis Chessman

Wow! I'm in awe. Congratulations, it looks beautiful.
Mr. Trout, you Sir, are a very lucky man - and one with great taste.
I feel privileged just to look at it. :)

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
this is the reel it’s based on, which used to be mine, I sold that along with all my other Aris three years ago, I think the replacement is just as nice.View attachment 23706

S.
Your redesign of what was one of the classic Ari Hart reels is awesome!
It looks great.
Well done Graeme.
One question though, the extra large drilling on the reel foot?
Is that for balance, or does it have some other function like moving the foot up, or down?
If so is another nice feature.
Would like one in #6 size.
In purple!

regards
Bert