Another Green Highlander (Pryce-Tannatt)

baca157

Green Highlander again. My 4th attempt at this fly, third time Pryce-Tannat version. I think I must like it. This one is special for me as it has been tied for The Green Highlander Project, and will be sent to Yasuhiro Ogasawara in Japan (he made the hook) to be framed among many other GHs tied by classic salmon tyers from around the world. Hopefully it will not stick out like a sore thumb among the rest. Hook has been hand made my who started the GH Project.

Took me a while to do this one as I wanted to make sure it’s perfect. Well, perfect it ain’t but it’s my best so far I think. Tied on at 5/0. My only regret is that I couldn’t do a wing made up from a sequence of individual fibres. Peacock wing feathers are just not long enough to do that on this size hook.

Thanks for looking
B4F45938-A4C0-4120-A58B-B9531DEC6F5D.jpeg

Dressing:

Tag:
Silver tinsel
Tail: A topping and barred Summer Duck
Butt: Black herl
Body: 1/3 golden yellow floss; 2/3 bright green floss
Rib: Oval silver tinsel
Hackle: Grass green
Throat: yellow
Wing: GP tippet feathers back to back; florican, yellow, orange and green Turkey, Peacock wing and GP tail; “married” narrow strips of Teal and barred Summer Duck; narrow strips of brown Mallard over, topping.
Sides: Jungle Cock.
Cheeks: Indian Crow sub
Horns: Blue and Yellow Macaw​

tj hooker

I've been waiting on this one Sebastian and well worth the wait you should be really proud of it I think its bang on and definitely will not be sticking out like sore thumb anywhere in any company.

baca157

I've been waiting on this one Sebastian and well worth the wait you should be really proud of it I think its bang on and definitely will not be sticking out like sore thumb anywhere in any company.
Thanks Grahame. It was long in the making but I got there in the end. I am very pleased with it. I just had a look at my first GH tied 18 months ago - what a difference!

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
This is your best fly to date Sebastian without a doubt and just perfect lines and balance for that exquisite piece of hook craftsmanship. You should be well chuffed with it and I'm sure Yasuhiro will be well impressed with your skills here. You've come a long way in a relatively short space of time and it's certainly showing now. :)

baca157

This is your best fly to date Sebastian without a doubt and just perfect lines and balance for that exquisite piece of hook craftsmanship. You should be well chuffed with it and I'm sure Yasuhiro will be well impressed with your skills here. You've come a long way in a relatively short space of time and it's certainly showing now. :)
Thanks Mark. That’s a big praise from an expert tier. This was my classic salmon fly number 26 (yes I keep a count:ROFLMAO:) It’s not many for 2 years but I have been improving with each fly. Saying that, I feel like I have just been scratching at the surface so far. There is so much more to learn and explore in the classic tying world.

I am now gathering strength to brave the world of mixed wings. This is some serious scary stuff!

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Thanks Mark. That’s a big praise from an expert tier. This was my classic salmon fly number 26 (yes I keep a count:ROFLMAO:) It’s not many for 2 years but I have been improving with each fly. Saying that, I feel like I have just been scratching at the surface so far. There is so much more to learn and explore in the classic tying world.

I am now gathering strength to brave the world of mixed wings. This is some serious scary stuff!

Cheers,
Sebastian

I'm at over 300 and still feel I'm only just scratching the surfaceo_O although some are well into the thousands so that's a lot of hours put in and god only knows the cost involved. Good to hear you're contemplating giving the mixed wings a go which to be honest are far less fussier and probably more fun to tie....did I say fun?:unsure::D

arkle

Well done, Seb. This is certainly not, a "Friday afternoon (Ford, B.L.) fly by any stretch.

baca157

I'm at over 300 and still feel I'm only just scratching the surfaceo_O although some are well into the thousands so that's a lot of hours put in and god only knows the cost involved. Good to hear you're contemplating giving the mixed wings a go which to be honest are far less fussier and probably more fun to tie....did I say fun?:unsure::D
At this pace I will never get to 300! Have to speed up my production. I deliberately stayed clear of mixed wings so far as I wanted to master married wings first. They are not perfect yet but I finally understand the technique well so can soon move on to mixed and then built wings.

“Fun” is an interesting way of describing winging process:unsure: Maybe I’ll consider it fun after another 274 flies?

Cheers,
Sebastian

petevicar

Thanks Pete. How you getting on with your efforts? Hope you’re not giving up yet?
Hi Sebastian
I have not yet given up. Do have a suggestion as to what I should try.
I have been playing with flies to fish with. They are of course no comparison to the classics but give me some practice in the tying techniques.

Pete