Another Legend!

mrnotherone

Huge achievement and undoubtedly one of the greats. He had a big Lions tour in 17 and it will be interesting to see if he features next year (if it goes ahead). Wales are struggling with a few players past their best and I think for AWJ a lot depends on how the six nations goes. Personally, I hope he's still playing well enough for another tour - he's already worn the Lions shirt more than any other player in the professional era.

sewinbasher

........ Wales are struggling with a few players past their best and I think for AWJ a lot depends on how the six nations goes. Personally, I hope he's still playing well enough for another tour - he's already worn the Lions shirt more than any other player in the professional era.
That's true, I think the team that started against France had over 800 caps! Pivac has huge shoes to fill, something that's proved fatally difficult in Wales, but I can see new players coming through and a new style of more expansive (but riskier) play but it's hard to see a more inspirational "lead by example" captain than AWJ but he's 35 so it's hard to call that one.

delray

AWJ is an unbelievably good rugby player. Even now at 35, in the last minute of a game when blowing out of the backside is rife, he's the first to a line out, he's the first to get out of the scrum and park himself awkwardly for the opposition, he's still running support, still hitting ball carriers backwards and he's still making good decisions when everyone else has lost the plot.
I wrote him off (on here) 3 or 4 years ago maybe when a very good, young England second row pairing gave him a torrid afternoon, and what did he do? Came back fitter, better and stronger. Remarkable man.
No apologies for waxing lyrical, there'll never be another AWJ. Congratulations to him, and Wales, you've been blessed.

pati

Really like him, not so much for his « style » but rather because he embodies the true values of rugby. He never gives up, fights like a lion yet always unreservedly respectful of the opponent and referee.

Definitely a guy I d like to share a fishing day (and a few pints!) with (not sure he likes fishing though!)

Latest posts