Another Reel !

ROVER

Trade Member
Been busy again taking 'advantage' of the unfortunate fact that we cant get on the rivers at the moment. I've done another Y shaped reel based on the one I did a couple of months ago but made a few tweaks since this is the second time I've made a disc drag, and also managed to shave about 20grams of the weight!

Hope you like....
20200417_170716bbbbb.jpg20200417_170724bbb.jpg20200417_170702bbb.jpg20200417_171046bbbbb.jpg20200417_170656bbbb.jpg20200417_170642(0)bbbbb.jpg20200417_170914hhhh.jpg

Mrtrout

Superb once again G, I prefer the one you made for me, but I’m biased of course. Porting looks great.
S.
S

jimmcl

Stunning engineering, well done! Its really a piece of art.

willie_r

Very nice bit of engineering there. Is it not possible to recess the spool retaining nut? Skinned Knuckles.
Been busy again taking 'advantage' of the unfortunate fact that we cant get on the rivers at the moment. I've done another Y shaped reel based on the one I did a couple of months ago but made a few tweaks since this is the second time I've made a disc drag, and also managed to shave about 20grams of the weight!

Hope you like....
View attachment 25138View attachment 25139View attachment 25140View attachment 25141View attachment 25143View attachment 25144View attachment 25145

ROVER

Trade Member
Very nice bit of engineering there. Is it not possible to recess the spool retaining nut? Skinned Knuckles.
It doesn't touch your knuckles so no need to recess. How you would get hold of it if it were recessed though???

lhomme

It doesn't touch your knuckles so no need to recess. How you would get hold of it if it were recessed though???
Alan key? I don't doubt for a minute you can find a solution for any aesthetic problem. Stunning work, sir. 👏

ROVER

Trade Member
Alan key? I don't doubt for a minute you can find a solution for any aesthetic problem. Stunning work, sir. 👏
The point is, its captive, ie, it doesn't come off when unscrewed so it can't fall off and get lost on the river bed if you need to remove the spool 'in the field';). Recessing it and then introducing an allen key that has to be carried about/lost would defeat the object.(n)

If its was a good enough design concept for Ari Hart on the majority of his reels then its good enough for me👍

willie_r

The point is, its captive, ie, it doesn't come off when unscrewed so it can't fall off and get lost on the river bed if you need to remove the spool 'in the field';). Recessing it and then introducing an allen key that has to be carried about/lost would defeat the object.(n)

If its was a good enough design concept for Ari Hart on the majority of his reels then its good enough for me👍
OK, you got me there. It is indeed a beautiful piece of art. The best enginerring is where form follows function.
I'd be feart to use it for actual fishing in case I got even a scratch on it.

splinters

I don't understand this, I don't like modern reels. Ari wosname leaves me cold. So why have I fallen so deeply in love with this one? It's absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could do that.

Simon.

ROVER

Trade Member
I don't understand this, I don't like modern reels. Ari wosname leaves me cold. So why have I fallen so deeply in love with this one? It's absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could do that.

Simon.
and I wish I could build a bamboo rod from scratch!

G

teeser

i just wish i could go fishing ! even getting excited driving the bride to asda now back on track thats some baby graeme but my fave is still the last one

snow white

If you are worried about the weight why don’t you take the cage of it and cut the brass down on the back it a really nice looking reel.
If you don’t want to modify it you can all ways donate to snow white

Mrtrout

It isn’t brass but very light Ali that’s been anodised gold, so it isn’t heavy at all, the cage plays a vital role.
S.