Another slurry pollution - Clwyd.

458socom

Just heard of another significant slurry pollution incident in Wales, this time on the Clwyd in North Wales. Don't have much details yet but this is just getting ridiculous. NRW are incapable of monitoring our rivers and the farms that have the potential to have a massive impact on the catchment, they are getting away with murder!

diawl bach

farmer_palmer.jpg

Really sorry to hear this, particularly when rivers are falling back to average heights.

Is Wales governed by farmers? It certainly feels like it, controls on the industry are obviously not working, these incidents are taking place on a monthly basis and standards remain abysmally low.

Some pre-emptive work desperately needs to be launched but as things are the threat of slurry pollution hangs over every river which has dairy farming in its catchment.

Perhaps we should create a Farmer Palmer award scheme for the worst polluters.

458socom

Agree 100% DB, what is allowed to happen on our rivers is bordering on criminal negligence from those who are tasked with their protection. The clubs on that river (and others) need to start raising hell about the damaging impact we're suffering on an almost daily basis.

I've tried to phone NRW for an update but that's proving difficult. Most likely the North Wales staff member is on his dinner break! :rolleyes:

sewinbasher

We're phoning one of the NRW guys to get an update but while we're on the subject,I'm no fan of the upper echelons of the NRW but I want to put on record that the staff on the ground in North Wales do a great job with ever diminishing resources.

diawl bach

Note lack of input from Angling Cymru in the criticism which upset the minister (below) . What on earth are our national angling representatives doing to challenge this unrelenting assault on clean water?

NRW refutes accusations about pollution record
28 Apr 2017

Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has strongly disputed accusations by Afonydd Cymru and the Angling Trust that it is not ‘fit for purpose’ when it comes to managing and responding to pollution incidents.

The environmental body wants to reassure people that protecting the environment from pollution is one of its highest priorities, and it will always take action to respond to and investigate serious pollution incidents.

And while the number of pollution incidents on farms is not increasing significantly year on year, NRW recognises that it is too high, and that the number and scale of slurry pollution incidents needs to reduce.

Ceri Davies Executive Director of Evidence, Policy and Permitting at NRW said:

“We are disheartened to have our work portrayed in this light. Our staff do a great job, day in a day out in challenging circumstances, and their passion and commitment to the Welsh environment should be commended.
“The solution to agricultural pollution of rivers does not lie with NRW alone. We are only one organisation with a role to play in reducing the amount of pollution in our rivers and streams, but we are doing our best.
“The fact remains that we are working in extremely challenging financial circumstances, and as a result, have to change the ways we work.
“We are working closely with the agricultural industry so we can help them work more effectively, and pick up on problems more quickly when they happen so we can respond immediately and limit the damage.
“We are working very hard, with our partner organisations, to do things differently. We are making more of our resources available to advise farmers which we hope will prevent these type of incidents from happening in the first place.”

Their basis appears to be to react to pollution, not to regulate against it and with an approach like that pollution will inevitably continue.

Last edited:

sewinbasher

NRW now aware, anecdotally it's come down the stream that enters just above Llanerch Bridge. I'll update when I know more.

Update: Sadly this seems to be confirmed as the correct story.

Last edited:

nigel67

I think they should give the polluters a heavy fine and made to drink two pints of polluted river water to see how they like it.

sewinbasher

There was a piece on the BBC Wales News tonight on pollution incidents involving ADs but I missed some of it because I was watching Wales v Tonga on S4C. :thumbs:

458socom

Had emails back from elected representatives (MP and AM) this morning. Meeting's to be held next week with NRW. Will update with any news in due course.

craso

Hello,
Any new informations about river Clwyd? I will be at Ruthin for the next 2 days. Does it worth to try catch a trout near the town? Where can I buy a day ticket? Thank you.

bobmiddlepoint

Yet another dreadful incident! However, NRW are "monitoring the situation". I'm sure that once-upon-a-time polluters were actually prosecuted for such crimes!! Link:- Afon Marlais slurry pollution kills 1,000 fish - BBC News

It is enough to make you weep.

The last line from the link speaks volumes. Although it is not directly attributed to NRW it has the ring of NRW (and EA) carpet brushing - "It is anticipated there will be no further pollution from this source." Or in other words "there there never mind it won't happen again, move on, don't make a fuss, it will all soon recover." It really gives the feeling that nobody in the management of these organisations really cares (because they don't).

diawl bach

I can't believe these incidents are allowed to continue, it's such a regular occurrence it's become the norm.

The Welsh Government has been absolutely useless in regulating dairy farmers, slurry lagoons should be constructed or upgraded to fail-safe designs regardless of the cost. We have a nation run by farmers for farmers and the environment is beginning to show how that's completely unsustainable. In these conditions the fish wouldn't have stood a chance, presumably the farm was saving the slurry so it could be spread on the river bank before heavy rain and the sheer volume broke the bund...

taffy1

That was just 1 agricultural property, how many others are ticking time-bombs at present due to this prolonged dry period? Heaven forbid such another catastrophe happens in the foreseeable future. NRW/WAG don't need reminding, many emails have been sent to AM's etc to pressure them into dealing with the damaging effect this is creating within this environment.

Edit: It would seem that, us as anglers, are more concerned about what state of environment we would like to pass on to our grandchildren & great grandchildren. This current Assembly & NRW just don't give a toss! Especially as that they have now admitted only a 3rd of plastic is recycled & the rest is sent to landfill sites!

Last edited:

taffy1

Now that this season has ended, whatever fish that may have successfully reached redds & could have spawned, all this current wet weather may well induce our guardians of the countryside to dispose of their continually produced animal nitrates & sulphides, no anglers present as witnesses!

Latest posts