Another stomach contents from Menteith...

Cap'n Fishy

And no sign of Dougie Vipond or Nick Nairn? easker1
Jeezo, eh - they might at least have sent the pair of them out with someone who could catch them a fish. If they had given me a call, I would at least have made a better shot at it than that pair of duffers did! 😜

Col

Last edited:

3lbgrayling

Jeezo, eh - they might at least have sent the pair of them out with someone who could catch them a fish. If they have given me a call, I would at least have made a better shot at it than that pair of duffers did! 😜

Col
I gather that quint was in the camera boat.:p:p.

Jim

scobo

My first thoughts on that bug in the middle was shield bug, but I think Sandy is closer.

Cap'n Fishy

I've never seen that guy at Menteith before. Something out the Hemiptera order, anyway. The usual shieldies you get there are these ones...

And one from our club water...

Haven't seen a single shieldie this year! Haven't seen a single heather fly this year either. Very worrying lack of fly life in general. :(

Col

Last edited:

scobo

I've Haven't seen a single heather fly this year either. Very worrying lack of fly life in general. :(

Col
Seen a few this year but nowhere near the numbers you used to see.
Very few daddies about this year either.

scobo

Wondering if the exceptionally good spring weather we had this year is anything to do with it ??

3lbgrayling

]
I've never seen that guy at Menteith before. Something out the Hemiptera order, anyway. The usual shieldies you get there are these ones...

This looks like a different species - from our club water...

Haven't seen a single shieldie this year! Haven't seen a single heather fly this year either. Very worrying lack of fly life in general. :(

Col
[/QUOTE]

We had a spell about a month ago when there were plenty of shield bugs about. but I havent seen a heather fly this year.

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Wondering if the exceptionally good spring weather we had this year is anything to do with it ??
I heard there were big numbers of hawthorns this spring - when we were all in lockdown. I'm worried it's all part of the trend for insect numbers to be crashing all over Europe?

Col

Cap'n Fishy

We had a spell about a month ago when there were plenty of shield bugs about. but I havent seen a heather fly this year.
Glad to hear there are some shieldies about, Jim. I remember seasons 10 to 15 years ago when the water surface was peppered with heather flies. I mind I half-filled a jam jar with heather flies from the stomach contents of 2 Portmore rainbows. This was from a Menteith fish in 2011...

Hardly seen a heather fly on Menteith for years now!

Col

Latest posts