Anti-Static Hoppers.

Wee Jimmy

49854346032_e5be89f214_h.jpg

I’ve been using anti static bag strips for the ribs of some of my dries.It has a subtle difference from pearl and mirage but still adds a nice translucence along with muted flash, more natural perhaps..? Its much tougher as well.....which is nice..👍

noel

Just watched Steve Cullen tie a version of an Apps using this material so I have bought some and I will see how mine turn out .

Gdog

I’ve been using anti static bag strips for the ribs of some of my dries.It has a subtle difference from pearl and mirage but still adds a nice translucence along with muted flash, more natural perhaps..? Its much tougher as well.....which is nice..👍
Jimmy,

How do you cut the bag in to strips?

I tried cutting polythene bag that fly tying materials are packed in as a rib. I was using a Swann and Morton scalpel with the 10a blade (the blade with the fine point) and a steel ruler on a hard cardboard surface, as there was some give when cutting and it wouldn't blunt the scalpel point. I couldn't cut it as fine as your ribs.

The polythene didn't stretch too well without breaking. I was using this material as a rib for buzzers where I didn't want the flashy effect from pearl ribbing.

I suppose fine scissors are an option but it would be hard to get a straight edge.

Advice welcome

Gdog

Jimmy,

I tried cutting polythene bag that fly tying materials are packed in as a rib. I was using a Swann and Morton scalpel with the 10a blade (the blade with the fine point) and a steel ruler on a hard cardboard surface. I found the cardboard was better than a hard surface. I couldn't cut it as fine as your ribs, it didn't stretch too well without breaking. I was using this material as a rib for buzzers where I didn't want the flashy effect from pearl ribbing.

I suppose fine scissors are an option, but it would be hard to get a straight edge.

Advice welcome

marty5588

Great looking flies Jimmy. I love fishing hoppers. I fish a cast of two 6 feet apart. I use colour combinations eg a black one and a claret one or a ginger one combined with a golden olive half hog hopper.

noel

A thought on cutting which I will try try pinning them to the table at the corners and holding it down with gaffer tape prior to cutting .

Wee Jimmy

Jimmy,

I tried cutting polythene bag that fly tying materials are packed in as a rib. I was using a Swann and Morton scalpel with the 10a blade (the blade with the fine point) and a steel ruler on a hard cardboard surface. I found the cardboard was better than a hard surface. I couldn't cut it as fine as your ribs, it didn't stretch too well without breaking. I was using this material as a rib for buzzers where I didn't want the flashy effect from pearl ribbing.

I suppose fine scissors are an option, but it would be hard to get a straight edge.

Advice welcome
Gdog, I cut the bag into 2 mm strips using a steel rule with a new 10A scalpel blade on top of a hard rubber mat like you suggest.

Wee Jimmy

Great looking flies Jimmy. I love fishing hoppers. I fish a cast of two 6 feet apart. I use colour combinations eg a black one and a claret one or a ginger one combined with a golden olive half hog hopper.
Me too Marty.....I love fishing dries full stop...😉 Colour combinations is one way, different profiles and footprint is another...so much you can do...👍

Danguta

Banned
Banned
I really can't abide by this bullshit in flytying. Why on earth would anti static be any more alluring to fish than tinsel? ' Deadly '........it's all about confidence.
It's like people bang on about claret being 'deadly ' for wild brown trout when there are hardly any insects with that colour in them, so it's totally illogical. I even read George Barron claiming it was essential for him to go out after early season Llyn browns with flies with red and black in them.......why???! It's only late in the summer when they regularly see anything with black and red in them in the form of the heather fly.
Same with pink being supposedly ' deadly ' with grayling, or the other absurd one being black and green is 'deadly ' for early season rainbows.

m r roid

No one's said anti-static tape is any better than tinsel. I know for a fact that Jimmy gets anti-static bags free from work, so he's merely recycling something that would otherwise be thrown away. If there's any bullshit attached to this thread it's coming from your direction.
Perhaps you'd like to post some of your own flies for some constructive criticism....... But I doubt it

Gdog

Gdog, I cut the bag into 2 mm strips using a steel rule with a new 10A scalpel blade on top of a hard rubber mat like you suggest.
Jimmy, sounds kinda like what I've done, thanks for letting me know. Great minds and all that.

Last edited:

Danguta

Banned
Banned
No one's said anti-static tape is any better than tinsel. I know for a fact that Jimmy gets anti-static bags free from work, so he's merely recycling something that would otherwise be thrown away. If there's any bullshit attached to this thread it's coming from your direction.
Perhaps you'd like to post some of your own flies for some constructive criticism....... But I doubt it
Clearly you didn't bother to watch the video and what Steve Cullen said........I suppose you think you are better fisher than him now Mr expert?

Danguta

Banned
Banned

Some hoppers have very short hackles don't they? I prefer longer ones as in your picture.

Watersplatter

I cut my ASB strips the same way but 2mm is way to wide for the size of hooks I use, I try to cut it less than 1mm but it’s a challenge. You cannot replicate the effect of ASB strips on a thread body buzzer with tinsel as far as I’m aware, and I have tried, but I also get my bags from work or I did when I worked so owt for nowt as we say in Gods own County. 😁😎

The Endrick Spider

Good Morning Jimmy.

Fantastic, you really have put up some most incredible looking flies on the Forum. I would love to look in, (and without any doubt) greatly admire your fly box.

I have not forgotten those Woodcock and Mixed that you put up last year which brought back some fantastic memories.

Many years ago we had a chap here in the village, (Bob Rickets who originally came from Dorset) this was the only fly he ever fished with. He fished the Woodcock and Mixed from opening day right up until those big white docken grubs became available. Once these started to appear he spent more time digging up dockens and the Ben weed collecting these grubs from the roots than what he did fishing. He then abandoned fly fishing altogether where the spinning outfit came out. He fished one of these grubs down from a small bubble float and a size 14 hook. He would first tie a loop of white wool around the grub and then place the hook through the wool not to damage the grub. He caught a heck of a lot of fish.

You are without any question of doubt a credit to the art of fly tying. Well done where I am looking forward to seeing any of your further contributions to the Forum.

John.

Anti-static, that brings back even more memories. I used containers of the stuff that I sprayed on the reels of 35 gram paper when we were printing bibles. These reels of paper weighed well over a ton and had 18,000 metres of paper on them. If it was not for the anti-static spray we wound not have been able to run them. Even at that, if you had to step into any of the units when the machine was running your hair stood up on end.

Wee Jimmy

I cut my ASB strips the same way but 2mm is way to wide for the size of hooks I use, I try to cut it less than 1mm but it’s a challenge. You cannot replicate the effect of ASB strips on a thread body buzzer with tinsel as far as I’m aware, and I have tried, but I also get my bags from work or I did when I worked so owt for nowt as we say in Gods own County. 😁😎
Aye 2mm is about as thin as I could manage too ,which is ok for the bulk of the stuff I use it on (14-10). Stretching it seems to make it more round sectioned and you lose the translucency .

Latest posts