Any Brittany bass experience here?

JRT

We are thinking of spend some time over there, covid permitting. Has anyone fished for bass in Brittany here, either shore or boat? Britany is a big place with 3 coasts and huge daunting tides so any pointers good or bad would be appreciated.

Last edited:

JCP

We are thinking of spend some time over there, covid permitting. Has anyone fished for bass in Britteny here, either shore or boat? Britany is a big place with 3 coasts and huge daunting tides so any pointers good or bad would be appreciated.
PM sent.

raphael

Where are you going in Brittany? There are so many possibilities for bass despite the population are in pitiful condition.
Here you must have a look at the estuaries, outlet of the many salty water small reservoirs, mouths of bays, surroundings of oyster parks, places where current is making eddies... It is very similar to what you'll find in southern GB. Local knowledge is a key, a swell as the tide. Some places are overfished ("Gulf of Morbihan" for example and shall be avoided)
I've fished a bit south part but it was in summer which is not the best season.

You can find some guides if you type "guide pêche bar bretagne" in your browser. It might be much worthwhile.

R

NB: Careful with regulations if you want to keep one: only one per angler and per day, above 42cm, and you must cut the lower corner of the tail's fin (so the fish could be "recognized" if it goes to the black market). Anyway I encourage C&R with regards to state of populations.

JRT

Thank you Raphael. I was looking at Cote D'armor and Finistere departments but we are flexible. I wanted to rent a cottage somewhere near some good fishing as the main priority.
I could even take my kayak over if needed - but I am nervous about the 8m+ tides.

raphael

Even if I know a bit, I'm not familiar with the places but one thing is sure: the South and West of Finistere are having very strong and dangerous currents. Do not go there by boat/kayak/float if you are not guided. Meanwhile, kayaking is a very good option on the Northern part of Finistere (Pays des Abers, ile de Batz and around Roscoff with some rias, bays and points, and many rocky patches within sandy areas, very clear waters, etc...). I'm pretty sure you can also find some good spots in Cotes d'Armor around Lannion, where you'll meet plenty small bays estuaries prone to give you good fun. There are guides available.

You can also have some nice trout and salmon fishing in some few good streams (Leguer for example), but sadly not to the level they deserve (I do not go there, I prefer to cross the Channel!).

NB: carefull about estuaries and their "green tides", which are accumulated deposit of algae blooms that generate toxic deadly gases; do not land there. Thanks to hog breeders...

Enjoy,

R

Reactions: JRT

raphael

Browse for "Raz de Sein" or "Baie d'Audierne" or "Penmarch'" in Youtube and let's have a look. Kayaking in Western Brittany can be like that:
Watch out!

R

Last edited:

raphael

Why? :LOL::LOL: It's stuffed with large bass and pollacks below the surface!! That's the place where the pros are going to catch and then sell high added value fish to prestigious restaurants... (fish caught trolling or spinning).
But when you have a look to some documentaries in the 90s', they could get up to 200kg fish per outing, averaging 5 to 8lbs. Now they are happy with 40kg of 3pounders...
Ressource is really at risk, there is a big issue with juvenile survival in estuaries and feeding grounds. Overfishing is obviously not helping.

R

Reactions: JRT

JRT

That's nuts. That guy has some serious sea legs to stay upright in that.

lipslicker

Dreadfully sad what has happened to a wonderful sportfishery.
One wonders what will be left for the next generation?
Makes me glad I live up north, where we actually still have some!

shropshire_lad

Shame to read about the bass fishing. I love Brittany. When I was at University in the 1980s I had two trips to the Isle De Groix - absolutely stunning place. In more recent years I have had a few holidays in the Quimper area. Lots of mullet in the estuaries.

Fantastic country, stunning area. I took my little Brompton folding bike out there and rode around. Every driver waited and gave me loads of room, waving as they went passed - the mad Englishman on his little bike.