Any Ideas for a Northumbrian Holiday?

Lewis Chessman

Hi, folks. I'm really asking on behalf of my family. My brother has expressed an interest in a Northumbrian holiday. He's 60 this month and our mother wants to treat him and his partner to a getaway somewhere nice.
His primary interest is in wine but he trout fishes occasionally, enjoys nature and walking, historical monuments, art galleries and (very) good food.
He doesn't Spey cast but has trout gear, so brownies & rainbows would be his primary target, not everyday but a few times during the break. Most of his experience has been stillwater but I'm sure he'd enjoy a river, too. He's no fanatic like us, just an occasional angler.

I'd be obliged if anyone has first-hand knowledge of quality hotels in the area, particularly if they have fishing attached and a Michelin star!
Thanks,
Lewis.

heathenwoods

ALthough I'm proud to have grown up in Northumberland (born in Yorkshire though) I'd suggest staying just on the Scottish side of the border and go to Melrose. Stay at Dryburgh Abbey Hotel and then if they're looking for a Michelin quality restaurant, The Hoebridge and Seasons are both in Gattonside (about 20 minutes away by car) and both in this year's guide. Melrose itself has Provender, also in this year's guide.

I wish I could say I knew all this from personal experience but I hear all about this fine living in the Borders from my dad...

mike fox

Paul_B

ALthough I'm proud to have grown up in Northumberland (born in Yorkshire though) I'd suggest staying just on the Scottish side of the border and go to Melrose. Stay at Dryburgh Abbey Hotel and then if they're looking for a Michelin quality restaurant, The Hoebridge and Seasons are both in Gattonside (about 20 minutes away by car) and both in this year's guide. Melrose itself has Provender, also in this year's guide.

I wish I could say I knew all this from personal experience but I hear all about this fine living in the Borders from my dad...
Dryburgh, my favourite stretch and where I caught my first salmon :)
1359729942711.jpg

Lewis Chessman

Thanks, everyone.
I spoke to my bro this morning and, understandably, his plans are on hold as he wants to remain close to our mother during the pandemic.
However, I'm about to send him a link to this thread so he can research your suggestions, so if anyone has more to add, please do.

ackroyd

I'd like to endorse the suggestion of the Red Lion at Millfield, just a few miles south of Coldstream. This is NOT a Michelin-star establishment; rather it is an excellent English inn, offering good quality, home-cooked pub grub and inexpensive overnight accommodation. (I travelled a lot in my professional life, and never really saw the point of paying out enormous amounts of money for a hotel room, since about 90% of my time there was spent sleeping). The River Till flows nearby and you will find salmon and sea-trout there from now on. Speak to Brian who lives very near the village and sells the tickets for the Ford & Etal estate water (see online for details). The great thing about fishing the Till is that it is a tributary of the River Tweed and as such, is governed by legislation specific to that great river. Accordingly, you do not need a rod licence for the Till. All Scots who otherwise take themselves off to fish in England need to be aware of the requirement for a rod licence (which you can buy online). This requirement even applies in Scotland, to the upper reaches of the Border Esk and its tributaries flowing through Scotland.

noel

Just a little note about Millfield there's a 30mph limit in the village enforced by a police van parking offroad at the end of the village as I found out to my cost .

jmac

If the Milfield/North Northumberland area takes your fancy, there are two stillwater trout fisheries not far away, Thrunton Long Crag (where you do need an EA rod licence) and Chatton (where as far as I know you don’t). The walking in the Cheviots, Milfield Plain (through which the Till runs) beyond that to the coast is great too,
But as you say, it’s all on hold now. However you‘ve got it all to look forward to when things return to some semblance of normality - which they will.

Paul_B

If you want him to have a holiday to talk about and remember then theres nowhere better than Chillingham castle, one of my old haunts if you'll pardon the pun.

Chatton is close by but as its in England he'll need the rod licence