anyone explain "fibre tube"

BlueOne

thanks 4 the info - maggie

one more question - will it still fish ok today? a friend has offered me a brook rod that has this written on it and was thinking of giving it a whirl but would have to find a suitable reel. also no atfm on it - any views?
maggie

It will be more than up to any fishing condition in fact there is a lot of us, who still fish glass rods. The only downside of the glass is, that it is heavier, but under 8` and lighter line classes this is in my opinion irelavant (let's say #7 and down). I actually use longer and heavier glass rods and am doing fine.

About hard F glass rods. Fibatube were blanks, which were black. At least those, that my friend owns, are all black.

Rods entirely made by Hardy were Fibalite and Fibalite Perfection. Most of my fishing is done with those. The first obvious difference would be collor of thread on guides, fibalite perfection rods have a light colored greyishgreenish kind of thread. Blanks are brown. In both series graphite (carbon) was used to reinforce the joint (black belt around each section at joint location). By this you can seperate them from previous glass series, which did not have this (Jet), there, a thread is used to reinforce joint.

On each Hardy made rod, there is a designation made by letters. with those you can trace (but not all rods), back to production year and month.

You also get those wonderful hand inscriptions that just make you feel warm inside when you look at them.

BlueOne

airsprite

Ebay rod just arrived, the blank and ferrule are black,exactly the same blank and markings as Oldfarts photos.
It looks like it would need a 4 weight line,but yet to have a cast with it.

Steve

David Norwich

Not completely true about the fibre glass blanks being brown. I have a Fibatube 6'1" glass blank that is black, as it was when I bought it new a few years ago, errrr I think it was before Carbon rods were invented.

True. Glass fibres are actually white. Or more correctly translucent. They just look white. It's the polyester or epoxy resins impregnated in the cloth that give it it's final colour. On top of that they can have a surface coating that can be any colour. Early Fibatube blanks were a light brown colour. They were made with polyester resins that time has shown where non too stable. You will see a lot of old ones with odd patches where UV light has damaged the resin. So be careful with any you buy. Some can be very warped due to this and take a set like an old cane rod if you bend them. The later ones where made with epoxy resins which is far more stable. Later fibatube blanks also had a surface coating. Usually black as on oldfart's blank.

David.

steveparton

Trade Member
The only problem with Glass Blanks generally is that they just do not have the fast felt response to a knock when that is the way you are detecting takes .
Excellent for casting and especially in short lengths for streams .

But feeling for the take ( and that is the way I fish 95% of the time ) not in the same league as the cheapest carbon ! Sad but true . And in big rod applications - heavier then you want .

However where the fight is a big part of it , understand why some very good 13# Sage ( and other ) 9 footers for Tarpon made in 4 piece have the two butt end sections in glass and the top two in carbon . When you need to have a rod bend in a heavy fight - glass is tougher and far less likely to explode in the 'down and dirty' style of beating up seriously big fish .

And never forget that good carbon rods contain 5% glass as the back scrim sheet the carbon fibre is laid onto .
Me , I take advantage of this by making the Good Dr Harrison roll the blanks he makes for me with the glass on the outside - you get less breakages from Dog Nobblers and Goldheads that way !
( Damn - I've just told the Chinese how to reduce breakage ! )

Helpful Steve

RPS

And never forget that good carbon rods contain 5% glass as the back scrim sheet the carbon fibre is laid onto .
Me , I take advantage of this by making the Good Dr Harrison roll the blanks he makes for me with the glass on the outside - you get less breakages from Dog Nobblers and Goldheads that way !
( Damn - I've just told the Chinese how to reduce breakage ! )

Helpful Steve

So do you think that carbon rods made without glass could be considered good rods?